Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #29
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Air bag deployment is very unusual on a road course. Very unusual. I know of only one instance and the data from the black box showed an extremely high G load indicative of a pending roll over. IMO, the G sensor glitched. My cars have 1,000s of test miles under extreme loads with no deployments on road courses.

The L/28 bags deployed on an autocross with a driveshaft failure. The shaft failure was incredibly violent with the resultant pounding tripping bag deployment.

If you watch the two videos of 5th Gen bag deployment, you'll see they occur under very aggressive tight maneuvers. IMO the computer was reading data that indicated a potential roll over. I don't consider these deployments accidental.

$3,000 is nothing in relation to a build like Bulls. A brush with a barrier, blown motor, tranny failure, and more easily equal or exceed a bag deployment repair. $3,000 is nothing compared to the injuries you may incur in a roll over or barrier road course incident. Three drivers died on track this week. Running road courses is a dangerous motorsport activity and sometimes expensive.

Bull,

I met a speaker years ago named Charlie Plumb. He spoke about the people that packed his physical parachute as well as his character, moral and spiritual parachutes. Many people had prepared him when he ejected from his jet over Viet Nam. In prison camp he met more parachute packers that helped him survive. Excuse me while I pack a small piece of your parachute. Please put your fuse back in.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:39 AM   #30
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
keeping my air bags on...if they deploy good for them and probably will be thankful they do.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #31
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
keeping my air bags on...if they deploy good for them and probably will be thankful they do.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #32
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Air bag deployment is very unusual on a road course. Very unusual. I know of only one instance and the data from the black box showed an extremely high G load indicative of a pending roll over. IMO, the G sensor glitched. My cars have 1,000s of test miles under extreme loads with no deployments on road courses.

The L/28 bags deployed on an autocross with a driveshaft failure. The shaft failure was incredibly violent with the resultant pounding tripping bag deployment.

If you watch the two videos of 5th Gen bag deployment, you'll see they occur under very aggressive tight maneuvers. IMO the computer was reading data that indicated a potential roll over. I don't consider these deployments accidental.

$3,000 is nothing in relation to a build like Bulls. A brush with a barrier, blown motor, tranny failure, and more easily equal or exceed a bag deployment repair. $3,000 is nothing compared to the injuries you may incur in a roll over or barrier road course incident. Three drivers died on track this week. Running road courses is a dangerous motorsport activity and sometimes expensive.

Bull,

I met a speaker years ago named Charlie Plumb. He spoke about the people that packed his physical parachute as well as his character, moral and spiritual parachutes. Many people had prepared him when he ejected from his jet over Viet Nam. In prison camp he met more parachute packers that helped him survive. Excuse me while I pack a small piece of your parachute. Please put your fuse back in.

Pete, where did you get the idea that i removed my airbag fuse! thats like flying with my ejection seat pins still in
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #33
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
Pete, where did you get the idea that i removed my airbag fuse! thats like flying with my ejection seat pins still in
Old 06-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #34
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Yeah....I'm definitely not recommending people pull their fuses but I did after hearing a about a couple that had their side bags deploy. I didn't even know that it happened on the L/28 either.

I know user named bannonm on here had his deploy during a normal track use. He did say with stock wheels/tires he was okay but once he made that upgrade he got enough Gs in a turn to deploy the side bags. There was also a V6 car that had the same thing happen. I can't find that thread now but I did read it. Then there was the most notorious one of the guy doing doughnuts in his and they deployed.

With all that I decided I wanted to pull mine just to make sure they didn't deploy especially since they are so expensive and are not covered under warranty. Now that I've been out on a track I know that I would have to really push my car I doubt I would do it again. Right now my wheels/tires are definitely a weak point.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #35
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Yeah....I'm definitely not recommending people pull their fuses but I did after hearing a about a couple that had their side bags deploy. I didn't even know that it happened on the L/28 either.

I know user named bannonm on here had his deploy during a normal track use. He did say with stock wheels/tires he was okay but once he made that upgrade he got enough Gs in a turn to deploy the side bags. There was also a V6 car that had the same thing happen. I can't find that thread now but I did read it. Then there was the most notorious one of the guy doing doughnuts in his and they deployed.

With all that I decided I wanted to pull mine just to make sure they didn't deploy especially since they are so expensive and are not covered under warranty. Now that I've been out on a track I know that I would have to really push my car I doubt I would do it again. Right now my wheels/tires are definitely a weak point.
bannonm is the man that gathered the black box data and posted it. The highest G forces we have recorded on all of our track cars is 1.384 Gs. I can't recall his number, but it was considerably higher. So much higher I think the on board sensor glitched. It would have been nice to have a data logger in the vehicle.