Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #43
alyssasdad
Go VOLS!!!!!

Drives: ZL1 #1344 VR, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Adam's is one of the easiest lines to understand because of the limited amount of products they have. But even with a robust line like Meguiar's, which I used in this video series, you can still use the K.I.S.S. method to get your paint back to perfect.
Im sorry if this is a dumb thing to ask but I did a search for KISS method and the only thing that came up that might have told me what that means was one of your videos that was marked private. What does it mean? Thanks
alyssasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #44
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssasdad View Post
Im sorry if this is a dumb thing to ask but I did a search for KISS method and the only thing that came up that might have told me what that means was one of your videos that was marked private. What does it mean? Thanks
It's a military term. It stands for "Keep it simple stupid." That's the military way. They don't want you over-complicating things by thinking too much.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #45
alyssasdad
Go VOLS!!!!!

Drives: ZL1 #1344 VR, M6
Quote:
It's a military term. It stands for "Keep it simple stupid." That's the military way. They don't want you over-complicating things by thinking too much.
Thanks, Now I ....Feel Stupid!!
alyssasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #46
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssasdad View Post
Thanks, Now I ....Feel Stupid!!
Don't feel bad, you asked the question that 50 other people wanted to ask.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #47
Ma1hman

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6
Need good Foam Gun Alternative + Wax tips

Hey Junkman,

I live in an apartment and do not have access to the kind of hose that would attach to the Foam Gun. What alternative methods would you recommend for initial wash for a standard coin-op water source?

Also, what cloths are recommended/optimal for applying wax?

I have a black 2LT and also have a swirl problem as well. I'm going to get started watching the vids
Ma1hman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #48
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Then you're basically screwed. You have got to figure out a way to pre-soak the car down. Some car washes have a pre-soak option on the dial but the amount of soap it puts out usually sucks. Maybe you could use that soap brush and let the thick suds DRIP all over the car (whatever you do, don't allow that brush to touch your paint). You're in a pickle.

As for spreading wax, I use a black pad and my PC. I don't spread it by hand but I remove it by hand. I explain what towel I use to remove my wax in the videos.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #49
jkupa10

Drives: 2012 45th Vert 2LT/RS
There is so much good information in these videos, you were right about simplifying it down so a 10-year old could do this.

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2012, 01:42 AM   #50
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkupa10 View Post
There is so much good information in these videos, you were right about simplifying it down so a 10-year old could do this.

Thanks!
Thanks for watching.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #51
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
After the 205?

Junkman,

I watched all five of these videos, took notes and bought the stuff you recommended minus the Zaino blonde due to stock out. Really good stuff. You made me laugh and kept me glued to the set. Incredible.

So, after 205 then what? Wax? Zaino Z-8? Nothin'? And why?

Thanks, man.
-CRT
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #52
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
Junkman,

I watched all five of these videos, took notes and bought the stuff you recommended minus the Zaino blonde due to stock out. Really good stuff. You made me laugh and kept me glued to the set. Incredible.

So, after 205 then what? Wax? Zaino Z-8? Nothin'? And why?

Thanks, man.
-CRT
I spoke with Sal Zaino today. More Borderless Blond towels are on the way.

The next step is wax. It can be whatever wax you want because you now will need to protect that naked shine. That's what wax does, protect the paint. You have already made it as shiny as it can be by polishing it to perfection. Now protect that shine with wax.

Now here's what I do and why I do it. I apply a sealant (HiTemp's Midnight Express Polymer Sealant), because sealants provide the longest lasting protection out of all the different types of waxes. The sealant that I presently use requires me to wait 36 hours before I can do ANYTHING else to the paint (that's the curing time, or amount of time that it takes that sealant to bond to the paint). Since I want to have double the protection on my paint, I would like to apply a second coat after the first coat cures. The only problem with this is that 2 coats of that sealant would take me 6 days to apply when you factor in the curing time. I do not want to be working on my car for 6 days before I can drive or wash it again so instead of a second coat of sealant, I apply a coat of carnuba paste wax (Collinite Doublecoat Paste Wax). It goes on quick and comes off quick so I can drive the car the same day that I apply it.

Now here comes the important part. Nowhere in that explanation did you read that I apply the type of waxes that I use in order to get some type of appearance gain. Wax is a protectant. It protects your paint from industrial fallout and nature's bombardment. The wax DOES NOT make my paint look any different than it did before I applied it. So anything you read about wax making your perfectly polished paint look any different is NOT a view that I share whatsoever. Also, when I say perfectly polished paint, I mean flawless, with no imperfections. I did a video about this very subject in this thread.

So that's what you need to do and why you need to do it.

Just think. You sat through 1:53:00 minutes of automobile detailing information and I didn't even have to use a scantly clad woman to hold your attention.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:08 AM   #53
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
I spoke with Sal Zaino today. More Borderless Blond towels are on the way.

The next step is wax. It can be whatever wax you want because you now will need to protect that naked shine. That's what wax does, protect the paint. You have already made it as shiny as it can be by polishing it to perfection. Now protect that shine with wax.

Now here's what I do and why I do it. I apply a sealant (HiTemp's Midnight Express Polymer Sealant), because sealants provide the longest lasting protection out of all the different types of waxes. The sealant that I presently use requires me to wait 36 hours before I can do ANYTHING else to the paint (that's the curing time, or amount of time that it takes that sealant to bond to the paint). Since I want to have double the protection on my paint, I would like to apply a second coat after the first coat cures. The only problem with this is that 2 coats of that sealant would take me 6 days to apply when you factor in the curing time. I do not want to be working on my car for 6 days before I can drive or wash it again so instead of a second coat of sealant, I apply a coat of carnuba paste wax (Collinite Doublecoat Paste Wax). It goes on quick and comes off quick so I can drive the car the same day that I apply it.

Now here comes the important part. Nowhere in that explanation did you read that I apply the type of waxes that I use in order to get some type of appearance gain. Wax is a protectant. It protects your paint from industrial fallout and nature's bombardment. The wax DOES NOT make my paint look any different than it did before I applied it. So anything you read about wax making your perfectly polished paint look any different is NOT a view that I share whatsoever. Also, when I say perfectly polished paint, I mean flawless, with no imperfections. I did a video about this very subject in this thread.

So that's what you need to do and why you need to do it.

Just think. You sat through 1:53:00 minutes of automobile detailing information and I didn't even have to use a scantly clad woman to hold your attention.
LMFAO! Your last line. Hilarious. Maybe I had the iPad going with those women while you were talking and I missed something?

I assume you do the sealant by hand since the paint will be super smooth. True?

What's the diff between, say, HiTemp's Midnight Express Polymer Sealant and Zaino's Z-CS Clear Seal?
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:00 AM   #54
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
LMFAO! Your last line. Hilarious. Maybe I had the iPad going with those women while you were talking and I missed something?

I assume you do the sealant by hand since the paint will be super smooth. True?
The sealant I use has very minor correction capabilities to it and some fillers. It is made to be applied by rotary, however I use either my Flex or PC to apply it (normally just the PC). I don't need the correction or filler capabilities, just the protection it offers. The reason I am using it is because someone sent it to me for free and it works. There are a bunch of other sealants that I could be using such as Meguiar's #20 or Menzerna's Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant. Any of these sealants will do exactly what I need them to do and that's protect the paint.

Quote:
What's the diff between, say, HiTemp's Midnight Express Polymer Sealant and Zaino's Z-CS Clear Seal?
As for the difference between what I'm using and the product Zaino offers, all you have to do is read their product descriptions. They say what they do in their product description so if you can read past the hype, I think that their product descriptions speak best for themselves. They are definitely NOT the same but then Zaino is a completely different line of products when compared to any I have seen. Here's a product description of the Midnight Express sealant from their website.

"A black, carnauba wax formulated especially for dark clearcoated vehicles. Hi-Tech Midnight Express is blended with polymers, ultra fine abrasives, and gloss intensifying additives. This product will help alleviate those fine scratches & spider webbing swirls commonly associated with darker color finishes bringing them back to a slick wet shine.

So by reading the descriptions of both products, you can see the differences between the two.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #55
Blues45th

Drives: 45th anniversary edition v6 3.6L
The description though for the sealent for mid it seems odd. It's saying it will fix scratches and swirls and such. First off how does the sealant even know what color your car is lol so to say good for dark cars lol. How? Also I thought a sealant was a overly greased application that uses fillers to do a visual fix for a temp. Fix but doesn't do any correcting. So then makes me wonder what if any of what the products state is true.i have watched your videos. A bunch of them. No I always thought that. That a sealant was a quick visual fix and that that was the problem with a lot of detailers they apply a thick coat of sealant and then when you get your car looks awesome until it washes away in a week and all those swirls and scratches are back. I know your applying it after you corrected the paint. But if corrected why apply that stage at all. Doesn't a wax protect your paint and polish correct it. So still not sure why sealant.
Blues45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:19 AM   #56
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues45th View Post
... No I always thought that. That a sealant was a quick visual fix and that that was the problem with a lot of detailers they apply a thick coat of sealant and then when you get your car looks awesome until it washes away in a week and all those swirls and scratches are back.
You've got a sealant mixed up with a glaze. That's what a glaze does and is very similar to what Zaino's flagship products do. That's why Zaino users will tell you that the more coats you apply, the better your paint will look, which is true.

As for the description that Hi-Temp offers for their product, have you watched that video about that product that I linked you too?