Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-20-2022, 10:09 PM   #1
ATl_1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
1LE Track Maintenance

So i've been running events at advanced pace for past 2 years. I'm probably coming close to 20ish events. Car has been rock solid but think its time to start looking at maint beyond just consumables and visual inspection.

For the guys that track often , what kinda of maint do you do off season? Cars only 29k miles but we all know how track miles changes things. Anything power-train to look into? At what point are you guys looking at changing diff/trans fluids?

Curious what everyone's checklist looks like beyond the obvious.Ive noticed noise at the belt so gonna start there. Thinking i should inspect all the bushings and mounts for stress cracks as well.
ATl_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:45 PM   #2
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I replace my diff and trans fluid before each season starts and I also daily mine so it gets the normal engine oil changes.
Other items to look at;
1 Caliper Piston Dust Boots
2 Possibly a good intake cleaning if you don’t have a catch can
3 Check steering components
4 Wheels bearings
5 I’m sure you check this regularly but brake pads
6 Brake fluid flush and bleed
7 Trans fluid flush and bleed
8 If manual car maybe separate your clutch and brake fluid into separate reservoirs
9 Air filter and MAF cleaning
10 Diff axle seals
11 A good cleaning/detail, possibly fresh PPF for the quarter panels and rockers, and
clean the engine
12 Axle CV Boots
13 Nut and Bolt all the suspension and cradle mounts and witness mark them
14 Maybe freshen up your Anti Freeze
15 Like you said the belt but check the hoses
16 Brake Rotor thickness
17 If using racing harnesses check for security, general serviceability, and dates also goes for
your helmet, fire extinguisher(if you have one), and any other survivability items.
18 Check all your track gear and replace/resupply/refresh/upgrade any
consumables(especially brake fluid)
19 Account for all your track tools and reorganize them
20 An if you tow the car to the track go over your trailer tires, lights, wheel bearings, and
check all your tie straps and tie down points
21 Check or replace valve springs especially in modded motor

I think that should be a good start and I’m sure there’s a lot I’ve missed or maybe not that important to some. Best of luck and stay safe!!!
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.

Last edited by olblue75; 09-22-2022 at 05:21 AM.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:25 AM   #3
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
If you check nuts and bolts for tightness as suggested in #13 above, mark them with torque vis, a paint pen, or a sharpie so you can check them visually in the future.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:57 AM   #4
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Fluid wise I am changing engine oil, trans fluid and rear axle fluid before every track season and will normally change brake fluid every other season.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:56 AM   #5
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Engine valve springs
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:48 PM   #6
ATl_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
Engine valve springs
Wait wut? not sure if serious
Old 09-21-2022, 01:56 PM   #7
ATl_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
I replace my diff and trans fluid before each season starts and I also daily mine so it gets the normal engine oil changes.
Other items to look at;
1 Caliper Piston Dust Boots
2 Possibly a good intake cleaning if you don’t have a catch can
3 Check steering components
4 Wheels bea...
Good list right here, some obvious reminders and some i didn't think about.

The caliper dust boost i've actually been shocked not to see heat cracked yet at any corner. Cayman i drove prior i was rebuilding calipers every season due to destroyed seals half way into season.

Not changing Diff fluid? I was told diff and trans fluid was really just preventative care for the most part each season.

Also didn't think catch can was really necessary , guess something to look into.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:03 PM   #8
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
ive never done anything major just oil change brakes rear diff tranny fluid etc

my car is a 16 1ss only thing lately i have been thinking about doing is coolant flush and spark plug check
Old 09-21-2022, 03:19 PM   #9
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Several items are pure visual like axle seals and CV Shaft boots. An valve springs never crossed my mind but if your running stiffer springs above normal and a cam might be a good idea. I know ill need to change mine in a couple years.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:08 PM   #10
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
I thought transmission was every like 15 track hours, and ediff was every 24 track hours.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:49 PM   #11
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
2017 SS 1LE.

52,000 miles on mine. I go to 8-10 track weekends a year + 12 or so AutoX events/yr.

In addition to the list 'ol Blue posted above, I replaced the belts, plugs and plug wires.

Did antifreeze at 50k.

Only thing I have ever found loose or out of spec on my yearly checks were the oil pan bolts at the end of the 1st year. Multiple ones were loose and very small amount of oil was seeping. Tightened the bolts (think there were 3 loose) and haven't had an issue since.

I do all fluids yearly (trans, diff, brake) and oil changes at 50% on the OLG. I am on my 3rd set of dba rings (front), 1st replacement dba set for rear.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 10:06 PM   #12
cdrptrks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Only thing I have ever found loose or out of spec on my yearly checks were the oil pan bolts at the end of the 1st year. Multiple ones were loose and very small amount of oil was seeping. Tightened the bolts (think there were 3 loose) and haven't had an issue since.
I also found 2 different oil pan bolts slightly loose about 1 year apart. That is the first thing I would check if the dipstick was a bit lower than normal but it is definitely a good idea to visually check for any oil seeping occasionally when under the car even if the dipstick looks normal.

There's also a thread on here about people finding loose axle nuts. I marked mine with a paint pen so they are easy to visually check when the wheels are off. I replaced one of the axle nuts when I replaced a bad rear hub and it backed off by a few degrees even though I torqued it to the correct spec but it hasn't backed off any more after the initial small amount.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:20 PM   #13
cdrptrks

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
4 Wheels bearings
Here's an example of how to check wheel bearings showing my bad rear bearing. Mine did not exhibit any of the typical symptoms of a bad wheel bearing so you should definitely check them before each track day. You might also be able to identify worn out bushings and/or ball joints that should be replaced using the same method by looking for and feeling any excess play when pushing/pulling on the wheel/tire in a certain direction. Use jackstand(s) as a backup in case the jack fails or the vehicle slips off of the jack so that the tire doesn't crush your hand!
Old 09-22-2022, 12:06 AM   #14
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Here's an example of how to check wheel bearings showing my bad rear bearing. Mine did not exhibit any of the typical symptoms of a bad wheel bearing so you should definitely check them before each track day. You might also be able to identify worn out bushings and/or ball joints that should be replaced using the same method by looking for and feeling any excess play when pushing/pulling on the wheel/tire in a certain direction. Use jackstand(s) as a backup in case the jack fails or the vehicle slips off of the jack so that the tire doesn't crush your hand!

For the wheel bearings, you just replace the hub assembly?

I'll check mine tomorrow. That is one check I haven't been doing.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote