Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 08-20-2021, 09:37 PM   #15
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
AP kit for track is best but really expensive...Z/28 setup CCRs looks great at Cars & Coffee but won't stop any better on track and costs $$$. I would stick with the factory rotors fitted with track pads, Ti shims for the front, GM front air deflectors, and Endless brake fluid. I use Hawk DTC70/60 and can outbrake nearly everything on track.
thank you
Old 08-27-2021, 04:26 PM   #16
tomster
RedLine

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
I have done all the research on this as well.

*Yes the Z28 brakes will work and fit but you need the rear Z28 calipers also since the rear rotors are bigger.

*No it's not worth it for track use you will burn through the carbon-ceramic rotors, they only last about twice as long for track use. (12 - 15 days per others i have spoken too) you won't get your money out of them.

That said if you are as hard on your brakes as me you will start to crack your rotors after 4-5 track days. by the end of 6 track days they are ready for the garbage. (for me this is one year.)

I also had fade in both my ZLE and CTSV and the switch to Hawk Brake pads and Castrol SRF fluid completely mitigated that for both cars. I can now run my pads down within 1mm of grinding and still have 0 fade.

Sometimes the pistons can retract slightly coming off a turn and as you hit the brakes the next time the peddle travels further than normal. (some people confuse this as fade) I think the Zl1 has a Tickle feature built into the abs software to keep this from happening but it still does from time to time.

I just watched your video at NCM. Great stuff. Can't wait to go again
2022 GMC 2500 "Blue"
2022 ZL1 1LE 6spd "Rapid Blue"
2023 ZL1 1LE Auto Rapid Blue (ordered)
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:46 PM   #17
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomster View Post
I have done all the research on this as well.

*Yes the Z28 brakes will work and fit but you need the rear Z28 calipers also since the rear rotors are bigger.

*No it's not worth it for track use you will burn through the carbon-ceramic rotors, they only last about twice as long for track use. (12 - 15 days per others i have spoken too) you won't get your money out of them.

That said if you are as hard on your brakes as me you will start to crack your rotors after 4-5 track days. by the end of 6 track days they are ready for the garbage. (for me this is one year.)

I also had fade in both my ZLE and CTSV and the switch to Hawk Brake pads and Castrol SRF fluid completely mitigated that for both cars. I can now run my pads down within 1mm of grinding and still have 0 fade.

Sometimes the pistons can retract slightly coming off a turn and as you hit the brakes the next time the peddle travels further than normal. (some people confuse this as fade) I think the Zl1 has a Tickle feature built into the abs software to keep this from happening but it still does from time to time.

I just watched your video at NCM. Great stuff. Can't wait to go again
Thanks tom. looking forward to more track days as well.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:34 PM   #18
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
GiroDisk direct replacement... save about 6lbs each rotor rear... and about 5lbs each rotor front.

Best regards,
Dave
Old 08-28-2021, 07:43 PM   #19
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums View Post
GiroDisk direct replacement... save about 6lbs each rotor rear... and about 5lbs each rotor front.

Best regards,
Dave
I reach out to them because the rears were posted as out of stock. I haven't heard from them.