Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #43
dan0617

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
Problem isn't the tax. It's the profit going to the petrol companies. We need to cap the cost like we did for electricity years ago. All our money is going to profits of corporations. With the proper cap we could pay a lot more in road taxes and price would be lower. They need us, they will sell at lower prices if we as a nation demand it.
2011 SS IOM Vert. ECS Vortech 13+ psi, Water/Meth, ID850’s, ZL1 pump with MSD Voltage Booster, 2800 stall, LT headers, Drag radials, Drag alignment, Cradle Bushings. A million other supporting mods. Tuned by Ted.
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #44
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
$4.34 here in Northern Virginia. Sure does suck. Our politicians here want to cut the gas tax rate, but increase our sales tax...not fair to the poor who don't drive much, but I guess I will take it...

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #45
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
2.99 here 6 weeks ago. Now 3.85....
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #46
trm2

Drives: Model S, Vette, Volt & Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0617 View Post
Problem isn't the tax. It's the profit going to the petrol companies. We need to cap the cost like we did for electricity years ago. All our money is going to profits of corporations. With the proper cap we could pay a lot more in road taxes and price would be lower. They need us, they will sell at lower prices if we as a nation demand it.
True, but it isn't just with gas. Look at companies like Nike or Reebok. They give [insert name of famous person here] $100 million to endorse their product, then have to charge more for their shirts, shoes etc. So it is just like us giving our money directly to a few already wealthy people.
trm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #47
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
$3.75 for 87 , $4.05 for 91 ,

Sometimes the V6 is a good thing !
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #48
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Good luck with that , Greed will never end
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #49
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
it's not even that. the bigger problem is we don't have the capacity to recharge a bunch of cars every day. a lot of places already go with rolling blackouts during the summer or real cold winters to keep the grid from going down. and with new EPA regulation in the pipeline to make it virtually impossible to build coal fired plants supply will be stretched even farther. the problem is that the goal of our current government and probably 1/4 of the population is to produce less energy, not more. so electric cars as a novelty are fine, but if they ever start going mainstream we're going to have some real infrastructure problems.

plus, when the power goes down like with some of these storms, not only is your power out, now you cant drive either
Ya, that was the second half of my arguement, just forgot to add it! Lol! 2 years ago, we had rolling blackouts during the winter because it was stupid cold, (for texas, ~20 degrees) and overloading the power companies. Austin has several recharging stations that I (Tax payers) have to pay for. I think thats ridiculous. No ones helping me pay for gas. And Im not sure how long it takes to charge, but who the hell has time to sit for 4 hours and let his stupid car charge???
Old 02-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #50
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCity View Post
not that I would drive my Camaro in the winter... but I have been noticing gas prices sky rocketing lately (nearly $4 a gallon for regular in the suburbs of Detroit). Considering most of us Camaro owners fuel up with nothing less than premium, makes me worry this summer may be very pricy. Also there has been a rumor that my Michigan governor wants to add a state wide 20 cent gas price increase, to help pay for the roads. Anyone else in the Detroit area or elsewhere around the U.S. think gas will be outrageous this summer??
I would just like to quote our president... "It's Bush's fault!"

Quote:
The media talks about record profits for "big oil", but if any other business ran with a 10% profit margin the CEO would be fired.

Since when is a 10% profit a crime?
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #51
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontalvo View Post
It's $3.59 for regular and I think $3.79 for premium in south Texas. It was $2.95 for regular a couple weeks ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
um where.. everywhere in Houston is now over 4.15 a gallon unless you go to Valero and put crap gas in and even that is just a few cents cheaper.

just hope the typical summer hike isnt going to be headed to 6 bucks.
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #52
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 RJT View Post
Just ask any liberal....Its Bush's fault!!! I say drill bany Drill. And lets build that pipeline.

yea, funny how when prices hit $3 a gallon under bush it was some evil conspiracy between him, Cheney, Halliburton, and the big oil companies to make Bush's "oil buddies" rich. but now that prices are 30% higher than those highs we hear hardly a mention of it in the press.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #53
jd10013

Quote:

lol. you do realize the oil companies make less money off a gallon of gas then anybody, right? federal tax alone is probably 5x what the oil company makes off it. and then there's state and local taxes, wholesale taxes, station profits, and the 3% the credit card companies make since most of us pay with plastic.

but yea, lets cap profits and prices, just like we did in the 70's. I'm going to assume your too young to remember what happened, but the result was long lines at the station, even odd filling days, and limits on how many gallons you could buy. when told how much they could sell their product for regardless of costs the oil companies cut back production and sold more outside the US where those restrictions didn't apply.

I guess the saying is true, to forget history is to be doomed to repeat it.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #54
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I wonder if it's almost Cash 4 Clunkers time again?
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #55
MotorCity

Drives: BRM 2SS/RS 1LE
glad im getting a good understanding of gas prices elsewhere from where i live. Always knew California had high prices haha, I honestly think we need more refineries in the U.S. we have plenty of oil here! keep it domestic if you ask me!
MotorCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #56
jd10013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCity View Post
glad im getting a good understanding of gas prices elsewhere from where i live. Always knew California had high prices haha, I honestly think we need more refineries in the U.S. we have plenty of oil here! keep it domestic if you ask me!
the single biggest problem is oil is a global commodity and the federal reserve is destroying the value of our currency. it's why gold and other such things are also more expensive then they've ever been. until we get politicians and a monetary policy that included supporting and maintaining a strong dollar gas prices won't change much.

Tags
gas, general discussion, opinion