Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
YellowL99

Drives: 2014 Yellow L99
Pissed (venting/experience)

SO originally, I bought a 2011 2LT Camaro and a 2011 2SS. My dad fell in love with the SS so i gave it to him (he gave me 3k in return) especially since it was certified.

For a while now, hes been complaining about the condition of the car and how for something that cost so much and is certified, its in pretty crappy condition when the sun starts to hit it. I thought he was exaggerating until I went to get it detailed today.

I found out from the detailer as well as a buddy that owns a shop that the rear fender was previously painted and it was just done horribly. When i say horrible, i mean HORRIBLE. The paint is so dull i feel as if they took the fender off a salvaged car -_-

Went to the car dealer and tried talking to them to find out if they could atleast pay to get that fixed (my sales guy didnt know but the manager did) but it was practically a fail. The response I got was "well what do you expect, its a used car" and thats when i proceeded to curse up a storm and peel out in their parking lot. Never doing business there again.

By the way, doesnt the car have to be in at least decent condition in order for it to be certified?
YellowL99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
orangejuice
H1 OFCR

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
I would say the certified tag means that mechanically it is certified not cosmetically. You bought a used car. Period. And you just gave your father a 40k car? LOL
ZL1 Hood/Fascia
AAC Afterburners/Sidemarkers
Havoc Black Chrome
5% Tint/20% Smoked Taillights

orangejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
I'm not an expert but I thought a car had to be in 100% stock condition without any body work. I could be wrong.

EDIT: Nope, a certified car could have been in an accident. The only thing certified means is that it passed a mechanical check list.

Last edited by Austin45; 02-26-2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Googled
Austin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
YellowL99

Drives: 2014 Yellow L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuice View Post
I would say the certified tag means that mechanically it is certified not cosmetically. You bought a used car. Period. And you just gave your father a 40k car? LOL
Bought the car for 28k, was originally $34k lol
YellowL99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
You should just tell your dad to shut his pie hole.

You gave him a $30k+ car for $3000.

Talk about falling into a river of gold and complaining about the taxes.

To think those "baby boomers" say we're ungrateful.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
jkemp16

Drives: 2015 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTIMIDAT3R View Post
You should just tell your dad to shut his pie hole.

You gave him a $30k+ car for $3000.

Talk about falling into a river of gold and complaining about the taxes.

To think those "baby boomers" say we're ungrateful.
Ikr...that's the most ridiculous part of the story...
jkemp16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Do the car still carry the GM warranty? If so, you should be covered.....I bought my car and had failing clear on the driver's door and they re painted it. Same with my rally stripes. Replaced them because of a few scratches.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
SS785

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frid View Post
Same with my rally stripes. Replaced them because of a few scratches.
Curious but how did you pull that off? I'd figure they would consider it wear/tear and not cover them after leaving the lot.
SS785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
LuSe4

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
So you bought a car and didn't see that the fender was all screwed up? What the heck?
Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
Back in the 90's I purchased a black Trams Am GTA. I was so in love with it I was blind to the fact that there were some grey specs in the paint. When I returned the car to the dealer they tried to buff it out, totally scratching the hood. The dealer threw up their arms and said "nothing we can do". They refused to give me my money back (only 60 kilometers on the car), or trade it for another car they had in stock with less than $500 difference in price which I offered to pay.

I was so pissed off I wanted to drive the car which I now hated, through the showroom window.

It took about 6 months but GM finally agreed to pay for a repaint. The dealer did it but of course they screwed it up with overspray everywhere, even on the windows.

This time I took pictures of the car and refused to drive it out of the dealer. The next day someone from GM came down to see the car and agreed with me. I took it to another dealer and the paint job was done properly this time.

If you got stuck with ANYTHING bad on your car, complain, complain and complain some more. You'll win, especially these days when you can threaten them with tweets and facebook posts.
2Muchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #11
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
when buying a used car, they don't have to state if its been in an accident unless you ask. At least in GA. Its up to the buyer to find out potential issues, that's why its smart to always take any used car to a mechanic you trust to look at it, certified or not.

every time you buy a used car, there are two questions you always ask, has this car been in an accident? Has the title been salvaged? If they say no, have them put it in the contract that it is no on both points.

Then if it turns out it has, you might have a little more leverage in situations like this.

As to certified, always ask for the checklist they use to classify it as certified before you buy it as well, then there is no misunderstandings down the road.

I would judge this a case of buyer beware......
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
Always ask for a carfax! Some dealers give it to you up front, some will pull it if you ask!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by csjcsj View Post
Always ask for a carfax! Some dealers give it to you up front, some will pull it if you ask!
Carfax is good, but its only about 45% accurate, often stuff isn't put on it, reported, to begin with and its updated at irregular intervals for the times it is added.

Its good to have, don't get me wrong, but its inherent on the buyer to cover all the bases when buying a used car. You can not replace having the car looked at by a good mechanic you are paying.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
RoadieWingZ

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by csjcsj View Post
CarFax only works if the damage is reported. I know this to be a fact 'cuz I got burned on just such an issue a few years back. It's buyer beware and using a competent independent inspector is the only was to get a true assessment if you can't do it yourself.

2013 Camaro LS
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote