Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
KB2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
12K miles+ club, how does your clutch feel?

Hello all...

I recently had an occurence with my clutch pedal getting stuck in my SS. Prior to this misfortune, my clutch would normally engage at the top of the stroke (as in, press all the way down, go in gear, lift your foot all the way up and in the last inch of two, she bites). Before, it was ROUGH, as in I could REALLY feel it bite and grip onto the flywheel. There was a DEFINITE feel in the pedal. I know for sure, my clutch ate some serious crap in this event, and got burnt (the smell was horrible). The extent of the damage, I do not know however.

I took her into the dealer, and they are insisting it is fine, but the guy at the service desk told me they did not open her up and look to see for sure.

In any case, now my clutch is SMOOTH as butter. No bumps, no herky jerky when she catches, and NO DEFINITE feel in the pedal that it is catching. I want to know now, did I damage the crap out of it? Or is this just how a broken in clutch should feel in this car?

Thanks in advance
KB2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
ss=scuba steve

Drives: 2011 1SS Cyber Gray Metallic
Couldn't tell ya, I occasionally get jerky here and there but I only have 1400 mi on it. I keep hearing about the "clutch stink". What does it smell like ( I know you can't be ultra specific). Once in a great while I think I smell almost like a sweet smell, kinda like new car smell times 50. Is that weird ? lol I can't think of any other way to describe it....
ss=scuba steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #3
nashstat

Drives: 2SS Camaro
Got 8k miles on my car and I can tell you that the clutch is one of the worst that I have ever driven (owned 4 different manuals before this).

The smell happens when the clutch plate heats up. Chevy also released a TSB on it, but the TSB just states that the clutch plate heats up and that it is a driver error.
nashstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
KB2010

Thank you for the responses.

I get the smell sometimes too

Nashstat, would you be able to comment on the feel of it as well?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
TXGooch21

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
I have 8,125 miles on my clutch and it's doing great....I have driven the car hard at times but just be sure to rev match when you are shifting, especially when downshifting, and it will surely save your clutch. I really don't think the clutch is bad, I got used to it pretty quickly.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:57 PM   #6
KB2010

Thanks for the comment TXGooch

Would you mind commenting on how the clutch engagement feels? Does it have a noticeable "bite" when it engages? Or is it just silky smooth?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #7
chopss

Drives: 04 sentra, 2ss
hi
i have 15k miles my SS and ever since i got the new throwout bearing its been shifting good, before that stuck clutch pedals and herky jerkies. I dont know how much damage was caused due to the throwout but when this one burns out ill get the zr1 clutch.

joey
chopss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:55 AM   #8
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
the camaro stock clutch is junk, i want a new clutch and axles.. is the zr1 clutch out for the camaro ? and who is selling it
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:06 AM   #9
nashstat

Drives: 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB2010 View Post
Thank you for the responses.

I get the smell sometimes too

Nashstat, would you be able to comment on the feel of it as well?
So the clutch just feels a little cheap. At times, when shifting from gear 1 to gear 2, it makes a vibrating sound (specially at low rpm). No grinding or anything, j

The tech at the stealership said it's normal... Googled it up, apparently many peeps are facing the same issues in Corvettes.

Just looks like GM used a cheap clutch!
nashstat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:09 AM   #10
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I've got just under 7K miles on mine and it feels like butter since the last 5K. I like it much better after the newness is wore off. No stink here, just grabs top 1/3 of peddle and goes ...
Old 09-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #11
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB2010 View Post
Hello all...

I recently had an occurence with my clutch pedal getting stuck in my SS. Prior to this misfortune, my clutch would normally engage at the top of the stroke (as in, press all the way down, go in gear, lift your foot all the way up and in the last inch of two, she bites). Before, it was ROUGH, as in I could REALLY feel it bite and grip onto the flywheel. There was a DEFINITE feel in the pedal. I know for sure, my clutch ate some serious crap in this event, and got burnt (the smell was horrible). The extent of the damage, I do not know however.

I took her into the dealer, and they are insisting it is fine, but the guy at the service desk told me they did not open her up and look to see for sure.

In any case, now my clutch is SMOOTH as butter. No bumps, no herky jerky when she catches, and NO DEFINITE feel in the pedal that it is catching. I want to know now, did I damage the crap out of it? Or is this just how a broken in clutch should feel in this car?

Thanks in advance
what's the fluid look like?
justa25thTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #12
MSG'

Drives: 2010 1SS Camaro
21k miles, my clutch stuck in one time at around 8k miles when i was "racing" hasnt happened since. and it feels fine
MSG' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #13
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss=scuba steve View Post
Couldn't tell ya, I occasionally get jerky here and there but I only have 1400 mi on it. I keep hearing about the "clutch stink". What does it smell like ( I know you can't be ultra specific). Once in a great while I think I smell almost like a sweet smell, kinda like new car smell times 50. Is that weird ? lol I can't think of any other way to describe it....
If you have ever smelt the burning brake scent of an 18 wheel commercial truck on their brakes hard going down large hills, that distinctive smell is what a burnt clutch smells like.

OP:

My clutch gets pretty smelly from allot of first gear stop and go in heavy traffic. Clutch still works like new though with 15K miles on it. The only time the clutch has stuck to the floor has been at the drag strip from hard launches with too much RPM (4K or above) Launching at 3K to 3500 and riding the clutch out like leaving normally from a stop light the clutch has not stuck.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #14
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
This issue has been described many times. Do a forum search. In some cases the clutch was replaced, in others, the dealer/GM claimed it was the driver's abuse. Take it to another dealer if you have to.

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote