Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
Nitrogen in the tires?????

I'm just Woundering if useing nitrogen in the tires would be ok. I have know idea if its possible but would it be better at staying the same pressure? If this is f up question sorry.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
SS ORANGE CRUSH SS

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS RS Convertible
Never use it ,,,,,,just compressor air !!!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
Chemical

Drives: 2SS RS
Not a dumb question.

You can add nitrogen to the tires if you want but it's generally useless..

The air we breathe is approximately 21% oxygen and roughly 79% Nitrogen, so simply adding air to the tires your already adding mostly nitrogen anyway.

Now if we get into material science, you normally see a decrease in pressure in the tires over time because oxygen molecules permeate through the rubber. Since oxygen molecules are smaller than nitrogen molecules, youll have a higher concentration of nitrogen in your tires anyway.

In other words, stick with air...
Chemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
Mouse6.2

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
If you can get it for free, sure go ahead. I have used it and didn't see any difference at all. To me it is a waste of money, save the cash for other mods. It didn't make a difference in tire pressure at different temps from what I experienced.
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
45th anniversary 2ss

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss 45th anni convert
not a costco whore, but a member: they use nitrogen in their tires, hence the green valve stem cap you may see on some valve stems.

The Costco Advantage

Membership has its privileges.
Purchasing your tires from Costco Wholesale, whether it be online or from one of our local warehouse locations, provides you with several key advantages. Our published retail pricing includes all of the shipping and handling costs associated with your tires.
The Installation Package also includes Lifetime Maintenance Services that extend throughout the life of the tires you purchase. (some limits may apply). These Lifetime services include inflation pressure checks, tire balancing, tire rotations, as well as flat repairs.
Upon the service of your tires we also install new rubber valve stems (Note TPMS valve stems and accessories will be an additional charge). Additionally, we inflate your tires with nitrogen, not compressed air. Nitrogen retains tire pressure better over time than compressed air, which can positively impact the life of your tires, as well as the fuel economy of your vehicle.
Finally, for your protection, all of our tires are backed with the Costco Wholesale Road Hazard Warranty. Costco Road Hazard Warranty
Take full advantage of The Costco Advantage today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 3 View Post
I'm just Woundering if useing nitrogen in the tires would be ok. I have know idea if its possible but would it be better at staying the same pressure? If this is f up question sorry.
45th anniversary 2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
oklapike

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45th anniversary 2ss View Post
not a costco whore, but a member: they use nitrogen in their tires, hence the green valve stem cap you may see on some valve stems.

The Costco Advantage

Membership has its privileges.
Purchasing your tires from Costco Wholesale, whether it be online or from one of our local warehouse locations, provides you with several key advantages. Our published retail pricing includes all of the shipping and handling costs associated with your tires.
The Installation Package also includes Lifetime Maintenance Services that extend throughout the life of the tires you purchase. (some limits may apply). These Lifetime services include inflation pressure checks, tire balancing, tire rotations, as well as flat repairs.
Upon the service of your tires we also install new rubber valve stems (Note TPMS valve stems and accessories will be an additional charge). Additionally, we inflate your tires with nitrogen, not compressed air. Nitrogen retains tire pressure better over time than compressed air, which can positively impact the life of your tires, as well as the fuel economy of your vehicle.
Finally, for your protection, all of our tires are backed with the Costco Wholesale Road Hazard Warranty. Costco Road Hazard Warranty
Take full advantage of The Costco Advantage today.
Yup, and most locations have a DIY nitrogen filling station near the service department.
oklapike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
It won't hurt anything but I wouldn't pay for it. Not enough benefit IMO. Hey, if it's free, go for it. The little green caps look cool too.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
Trixdout

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Doesn't the 2013 have them in their tires?
Old 01-11-2013, 05:54 AM   #9
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
My budy Kenny has a tank and gets it filled for free. The replys have helped a lot guy thanks. So if its free its for me. Got it!!
Do I have to put that frigging green cap?
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #10
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical View Post
Not a dumb question.

You can add nitrogen to the tires if you want but it's generally useless..

The air we breathe is approximately 21% oxygen and roughly 79% Nitrogen, so simply adding air to the tires your already adding mostly nitrogen anyway.

Now if we get into material science, you normally see a decrease in pressure in the tires over time because oxygen molecules permeate through the rubber. Since oxygen molecules are smaller than nitrogen molecules, youll have a higher concentration of nitrogen in your tires anyway.

In other words, stick with air...
Depends on your application really. I've seen the difference in compressed air vs nitrogen with dirt track racing. I've seen compressed air filled tires gain 3-5 pounds of pressure because of heat. Nitrogen doesn't fluctuate like that. Tire pressure change like that really screws with your stagger which in turn messes with your car setup and handling.
Warpaint69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #11
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
You can use it but I personally have not seen much if any real advantage for a street drive car. For the price difference I stick with air.

Here is a helpful link from our tech center : Clearing the air about Nitrogen .

Last edited by Rudy@Tirerack; 01-11-2013 at 07:58 AM. Reason: added link.
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 3 View Post
My budy Kenny has a tank and gets it filled for free. The replys have helped a lot guy thanks. So if its free its for me. Got it!!
Do I have to put that frigging green cap?
Use whatever cap on the valve stem you want. The green one just looks pretty.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #13
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
air is 78% nitrogen.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
Rim old Tires on my GMC Denali had Nitrogen in them. They were 22" on 33"s