Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
Adam's deep wheel cleaner ?

I have some fairly gunked on brake dust I've been trying to get off my zl1/1le matte black wheels for awhile now. Some major elbow grease is needed. Is this product safe and effective for this application?
Old 01-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Yes. It's safe on all wheel finishes.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:16 PM   #3
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Order a gallon..... trust me with your brakes and wheels this stuff rocks. You can also dilute it to save a few bucks 1:1 with distilled water does the trick.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
trm2

Drives: Model S, Vette, Volt & Equinox
It works well, but it does stink! Maybe not as much as others, but wear gloves so you don't smell it for days.
trm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trm2 View Post
It works well, but it does stink! Maybe not as much as others, but wear gloves so you don't smell it for days.

Great tip thanks.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Yep, it works on all wheel finishes. Just be sure to use it when the wheels are cool and don't let it dry on the surface and you'll be good to go!

As far as the smell, it's definitely more unpleasant than our other products. However, if you line it up against the other wheel cleaners that are similar, it smells like roses IMO.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I need to order some of this for my matte black F14's! Do you have a link to this on your website?
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #8
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I need to order some of this for my matte black F14's! Do you have a link to this on your website?
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-884-a...l-cleaner.aspx

Under the category "wheel, tire and trim care".
Old 02-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #9
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Thanks for the link!

Nick@Adams, In the video he uses a "blonde" wheel brush that is different than the tire brush but it's not listed anywhere on the website. Is there a difference? Also, is there a larger re-fill bottle for the deep wheel cleaner spray bottle? I'm gonna need a good supply of this stuff! Lol!
Old 02-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #10
Adam's Polishes

Quote:
Thanks for the link!

Nick@Adams, In the video he uses a "blonde" wheel brush that is different than the tire brush but it's not listed anywhere on the website. Is there a difference? Also, is there a larger re-fill bottle for the deep wheel cleaner spray bottle? I'm gonna need a good supply of this stuff! Lol!
Those Boars Hair brushes are temporarily out of stock unfortunately. An alternative would be the Wheel Woolies if you want to go that route:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-762-a...ing-tools.aspx

For the Deep Wheel Cleaner, we offer it in gallons to save you quite a bit on the price per ounce:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-952-a...er-refill.aspx

Old 02-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #11
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Thanks Nick! I'll be doing some road course HPDE days this year and it's really hard on the wheels! (brake dust, rubber, tar, etc.) Few more questions:

1) My wheels are matte black powdercoated, is this safe to use without leaving streaks or stains?
2) Is the Deep Wheel Cleaner safe for rotors and calipers also?
3) How soon before you get the Boars Hair brush in stock? Is there an alternative?
4) Is the wheel brush safe to use on the wheel face instead or the Boars Hair, or is it too course?
5) If I buy the gallon jug can I use any spray bottle to apply it to the wheels, or do you recommend buying 1 bottle of spray and the gallon for re-fills?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to get it right before I order. I once used wheel cleaner from an auto parts store and it stained my rotors pretty bad so I'm a little nervous!
Old 02-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #12
Adam's Polishes

Answers in red.

Quote:
Thanks Nick! I'll be doing some road course HPDE days this year and it's really hard on the wheels! (brake dust, rubber, tar, etc.) Few more questions:

1) My wheels are matte black powdercoated, is this safe to use without leaving streaks or stains?

Yep, it's safe for ALL wheel finishes. Just don't use it when the wheels are hot, don't allow it to dry (cleaning one wheel at a time is a good practice,) and rinse very thoroughly.

2) Is the Deep Wheel Cleaner safe for rotors and calipers also?

Yep, but the only kind I'd avoid using it are high-end carbon-ceramic rotors.

3) How soon before you get the Boars Hair brush in stock? Is there an alternative?

We are looking at a couple more weeks I believe. Wheel Woolies are a great alternative!

4) Is the wheel brush safe to use on the wheel face instead or the Boars Hair, or is it too course?

It's not ideal, but you should be fine in a pinch since you have matte wheels. They are a little more resistant to scratching when compared to a standard clear coated wheel.

5) If I buy the gallon jug can I use any spray bottle to apply it to the wheels, or do you recommend buying 1 bottle of spray and the gallon for re-fills?

A 16oz spray bottle and a refilling that from the Gallons works well.

Sorry for all the questions but I want to get it right before I order. I once used wheel cleaner from an auto parts store and it stained my rotors pretty bad so I'm a little nervous!

No worries, I'm here to answer questions!

Old 02-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #13
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Thanks for the answers Nick!
Old 02-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #14
trm2

Drives: Model S, Vette, Volt & Equinox
Put a sealant on the wheels after cleaning - it makes future cleanings much easier.
trm2 is offline   Reply With Quote