Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
Chris6067

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Camaro as soon as possible?

I'm 14 and my mom purchased a Summit White 2010 Camaro 1LT on Saturday... I'm in LOVE with this car... I'm just wondering, if when I turn 16/17 do you guys think a Camaro SS would be alright for me? I already know how to drive a Manual 6 speed and an automatic. I work for my dad (he pays very well) and I'm thinking that maybe if I were save my pennies I might be able to afford a used Camaro SS or even possibly a new one when the time comes. I just want to hear everyone's $00.02... I know I'll be a very worthy driver, as sad as it is, I seem to know more about traffic laws than half the people in my town. I've been riding quads and snowmobiles all my life and know how engines work and stuff, if that helps at all. Camaros are my second favourite car EVER, right behind the Corvette ZR1. Thanks in advance for your guys' thoughts on it!
Old 06-15-2010, 02:14 AM   #2
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
it's your money dude, I hope you can get one. I was gonna get an '85 Z28 for my 1st car from my cousin. Had a 454 from a Silverado SS and a 4 speed trans. Turns out my parents thought I'd kill myself in it....and they were probably right. So I settled for a Grad Prix. good luck!
Old 06-15-2010, 02:17 AM   #3
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
got for it...... dream big... dont ever settle thats a life lesson.... my dad has always taught me... i would take his word over anybody on this forum...
this has made him very successful....
Old 06-15-2010, 02:29 AM   #4
Chris6067

Thanks guys! I still want to hear more comments, but just those two encourage me quite a bit... I would baby this car. Sure, I'd drive it like a car with a V8 when I had the chance, but around town, I would drive it normally. My dad is successful too, I hope to be half as successful as him. I think I would go with a Cyber Gray 1SS. I would love to be able to purchase it brand new, but I don't know if that kind of money will be available. Just going to need to wait and see.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:52 AM   #5
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris6067 View Post
I'm 14 and my mom purchased a Summit White 2010 Camaro LT1 on Saturday... I'm in LOVE with this car... I'm just wondering, if when I turn 16/17 do you guys think a Camaro SS would be alright for me? I already know how to drive a Manual 6 speed and an automatic. I work for my dad (he pays very well) and I'm thinking that maybe if I were save my pennies I might be able to afford a used Camaro SS or even possibly a new one when the time comes. I just want to hear everyone's $00.02... I know I'll be a very worthy driver, as sad as it is, I seem to know more about traffic laws than half the people in my town. I've been riding quads and snowmobiles all my life and know how engines work and stuff, if that helps at all. Camaros are my second favourite car EVER, right behind the Corvette ZR1. Thanks in advance for your guys' thoughts on it!
be that as it may. knowing the laws and experiencing the laws are two different things. more so, experience behind the wheel of a 400hp machine is the key point. you already have the v6 to acclimate yourself with the dimensions of the car, so drive it whenever you can to get more familiar with it before you get one of your own.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:01 AM   #6
Chris6067

"be that as it may. knowing the laws and experiencing the laws are two different things. more so, experience behind the wheel of a 400hp machine is the key point. you already have the v6 to acclimate yourself with the dimensions of the car, so drive it whenever you can to get more familiar with it before you get one of your own."

Very true. 400 HP is a lot. My dad will be letting me drive his '08 Ford F-150 the next time on an secluded road in it with him. Hopefully that'll start getting me a bit more used to the feel of actually driving a vehicle. I've never actually driven a standard, but I know how to. I've sat in a car before and simulated driving with the clutch and shifter... Don't know if thats bad for it, but my mom said to go for it, so I thought what the hell. That was in a 6 speed 2008 Jeep Liberty (very rare) that she traded in for the Camaro. I also play a game called Forza Motorsport 3 with a Fanatec wheel, and it has a pedal clutch along with a 6 speed Shifter.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:31 AM   #7
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
Quote:
That was in a 6 speed 2008 Jeep Liberty (very rare) that she traded in for the Camaro. .
rare in Canada maybe...down here those things are like mustangs....THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!!
Old 06-15-2010, 03:51 AM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:

Very true. 400 HP is a lot. My dad will be letting me drive his '08 Ford F-150 the next time on an secluded road in it with him. Hopefully that'll start getting me a bit more used to the feel of actually driving a vehicle. I've never actually driven a standard, but I know how to. I've sat in a car before and simulated driving with the clutch and shifter... Don't know if thats bad for it, but my mom said to go for it, so I thought what the hell. That was in a 6 speed 2008 Jeep Liberty (very rare) that she traded in for the Camaro. I also play a game called Forza Motorsport 3 with a Fanatec wheel, and it has a pedal clutch along with a 6 speed Shifter.

that's my maint point. you can simulate the movements or play a video game and read how to do it all day long. But until you get into the car and actually drive it, its a whole different experience.

getting the motions down can help you with it, but you just need time/experience behind the wheel in different driving situations. You'll get there one day. just keep at it
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:13 AM   #9
hollywoodGU

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
I hate threads like this. Why are you going to ask a bunch of ppl you dont know about this? Really this is a decision you need to make on your own. And if you do need help, talk to ur parents about it. not a bunch of ppl who have no clue about ur life/situation
Old 06-15-2010, 07:00 AM   #10
hollywoodGU

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
and further more, if you think that all the skills meed to drive this car is "knowing the traffic laws" then it shows you deff aren't ready for this machine. 400+hp/tq isnt a joke..and you need to realize that simply knowing what to do at a stop sign isnt good enough.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:20 AM   #11
tony1

Drives: 2SS/RS Vortech/L99
Your 14... You should be looking at Schwin's ...
Old 06-15-2010, 07:22 AM   #12
prostock69
Female Muscle Car Nut!

Drives: 2010 RS/SS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony1 View Post
I've seen a few deadly car accidents in our area lately from 17-20 year old males driving high performance cars. This one http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...ed-747194.html was driving a Nissan 350. He was speeding, lost control and hit a tree with his girlfriend by his side. She has permanent brain damage and he's dead. The car had temporary tags on it. He just got it. It's so easy to say "I'll baby her" but once you are behind the wheel, all bets are off. Hell, I have to reign in my 45 year old husband when he's behind the wheel. He literally can't stop himself from laying into it within the city limits. It's hard enough for adults but for kids, the temptation to race, burn rubber and to speed is 100 fold.

And as a mother, I cringe at the thought of a teenage male getting behind the wheel of an SS. Sorry, kid, but no way would I allow you to get this car until you are an adult (18).

MODS: Borla "S" Type Exhaust, American Racing Headers 3" Longtubes, New Era Cold Air Intake, HP Tune, Custom Ground Camshaft, Professionally Ported Heads by Darin Morgan, Ported Throttle Body, 3000 Stall Converter, and 160 Degree Thermostat.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/; http://www.darinmorgan.com/; http://www.neweraperformance.com/

Last edited by prostock69; 06-15-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #13
Tee304

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro Rally Yellow 2SS
Quote:
I'm 14 and my mom purchased a Summit White 2010 Camaro 1LT on Saturday... I'm in LOVE with this car... I'm just wondering, if when I turn 16/17 do you guys think a Camaro SS would be alright for me? I already know how to drive a Manual 6 speed and an automatic. I work for my dad (he pays very well) and I'm thinking that maybe if I were save my pennies I might be able to afford a used Camaro SS or even possibly a new one when the time comes. I just want to hear everyone's $00.02... I know I'll be a very worthy driver, as sad as it is, I seem to know more about traffic laws than half the people in my town. I've been riding quads and snowmobiles all my life and know how engines work and stuff, if that helps at all. Camaros are my second favourite car EVER, right behind the Corvette ZR1. Thanks in advance for your guys' thoughts on it!
MY $.02 - What ever happened to working hard for what we have? I know when I was 16 I received no "parental" gifts. I worked my tail off just to have a few bucks to enjoy myself. Nowadays, it appears that parents have an obligation to give everything to their children without the work ethic part of growing up. I would love to see the insurance quote you receive when you have to fork out the $ for that. I'm guessing around 3,000 dollars a year, just a ball park figure.

MY $.04 - (second comment) - I assume you've been driving illegally for years now WITH your parents' knowledge? How can this be? You're only 14. I would love to be a fly in that room when you ask your parents for the keys to their car (at 14 years old). My parents never let me touch a car till I was 16. How is it possible you've been driving for such a long time?

And yes, my girlfriend LOVES my car!

#7741 - RY 2SS w/black rally stripes - picked up on 5/28/2009
Old 06-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #14
Tee304

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro Rally Yellow 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony1 View Post

Or at least something with a squeezable horn and reflective wheel clip-ons.

THIS CAR IS TOO MUCH FOR A 14 YEAR OLD!!

And yes, my girlfriend LOVES my car!

#7741 - RY 2SS w/black rally stripes - picked up on 5/28/2009

Closed Thread