Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Pumpkin1LT

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Well stick a fork in my A$$ cause I'm about at a piping 120 degrees!

Sommmomma B! Dealership tells me that ANY performance modifications, even CAI will delete my warranty (me and my naiive little brain thinking they would say otherwise). Honestly didn't think they'd be that anal about it... Maybe I'm NOT the one with the fork up my a$$! We'll just see about that.

A happy wife is one in the garage getting dirty under her 2010 Camaro!
Pumpkin1LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Go to a different stealership. I've heard Gunn and Freedom don't care about modifications to the exhaust or air intake...
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
Globemaster

Drives: 2010 2SS Bumble Bee
I talked to my dealership about the CAI and they said it would void warranty if the failure could be traced back to it. Never asked about the Exhaust. It varies from dealer to dealer. If you are worried about it I would call all the ones in the local area and ask the Question of them all.

Just my 2 Cents

Globemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Ok, Shooter!!...lol...go to Ancira and ask for service tech Bob Dishong. Feel free to tell them I sent you over there. I ONLY go there for work and they are great people. Sounds like the place you go to is going to lose a lot of business really quickly if they are acting like that. I tell everyone, go to Ancira...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
Havok

Drives: 2010 IBM 2LT RS
The thread title is kind of kinky.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Do you expect a warranty on your laptop if you go in and modify the processor performance too? Just sayin...

If you are going to modify ANYTHING on your car...why would you expect the manufacturer to warranty anything related to that item? Manufacturers base the warranty "cost" that they add in to the price of a car on the fact that they know the parameters at which the car is produced and the actuaries have extrapolated the amount of money that will be spent on the cars fixing issues.

Modifying your car brings in this potential, no matter what you are modifying. Just remember, if you do find a dealer that is willing to overlook your modifications...great...but also remember that if you aren't near that dealer when you break down (let's say you are traveling to another state and your car breaks down)...that dealer decides not to overlook your modifications and reports to GM...your warranty at every dealership for your powertrain will be gone.

Also, remember that unless you have an unlimited supply of cash and access to excellent lawyers...Magnuson-Moss isn't worth the paper it is written on...even though aftermarket manufacturers and tuners would love for you to think that it will save your rear when you install a modification.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
ColtonB2

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
^^Because its a CAMARO. Bolt-ons shouldnt void the warrenty unless that bolt-on caused the failure. Do you think GM expects everyone with a Camaro to leave it stock? Hell no. its a Camaro not a Geo Metro. Get another stealer
ColtonB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtonB2 View Post
^^Because its a CAMARO. Bolt-ons shouldnt void the warrenty unless that bolt-on caused the failure. Do you think GM expects everyone with a Camaro to leave it stock? Hell no. its a Camaro not a Geo Metro. Get another stealer
GM can expect what they want since they are providing a warranty...

Doesn't matter if you warranty or not...this is a matter of being willing to pay to play versus mooching off of a manufacturer.

So you'd expect bestbuy to warranty a TV you put 220v to also I'm sure. How on earth could Best Buy expect anyone to leave a TV stock?
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
TheKid_28

Drives: Black 2SS w/ White rally stripes
If bestbuy offered aftermarket products for the tv made by companies who are also going to make their own aftermarket products with their brand and also knowing other companies are going to follow suit then no, I think bestbuy would know alot of people aren't going to leave that tv stock..... Like others said, go to a different dealership
TheKid_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
camaroluver
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: '05 Impala, '10 IOM Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to camaroluver
I have an after market CAI and exhaust and back in Feb/Mar I had to have the engine in my Camaro replaced under warranty. My after market parts didn't cause the problem and both the dealer and GM knew they were there, we never tried to hide them. Neither my dealer or GM said anything to us about voiding our warranty. I think you just came upon a dealer that is being an a$$, I would go somewhere else. Good luck!!
2010 Camaro 2SS IOM/Black Interior/Black Hood & Hockey Stripes #26,805
Ordered 1/30/09 as a surprise for me by the best husband ever! Delivered 8/6/09 to me!!!

camaroluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #11
EagleKeeper

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS
I have not had any problems with my dealer. They installed the CAI and Borla ATAK exhaust. They told me not to worry about the powertrain warranty unless I added a super charger or if I got a tune done. Sounds like your dealer is not very nice.

On another note, why would you compare a TV to the Camaro? Adding European power cords to a TV in the States would cause a malfunction. If you are going to compare it, it would be like adding surround sound to your TV. Improving it, not trying to blow it up.
EagleKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #12
SummitWhiteLS

Drives: 2011 Mustang V6 Automatic
Sure, some dealers are going to handle aftermarket parts differently.

But to avoid all the confusion, I'm waiting for the GMPP axlebacks to come down in price and for their CAI to be released (supposed to be out later this year).

I'll have the dealer install them and my warranty will be in full compliance.
SummitWhiteLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #13
Pumpkin1LT

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
GM can expect what they want since they are providing a warranty...

Doesn't matter if you warranty or not...this is a matter of being willing to pay to play versus mooching off of a manufacturer.

So you'd expect bestbuy to warranty a TV you put 220v to also I'm sure. How on earth could Best Buy expect anyone to leave a TV stock?
now hold up there Mr. Kill joy warranty enforcer pants ..... ME MYSELF AND I am PAYING for a majority of the warranty that I have thank you very much! And no one is talking about raping the "Big Guy" up at GM! If proper cause can be found that the added modification caused a malfuction resulting in mechanical work, then YEAH... Outta MY pocket... But if it DOES NOT... The warranty SHOULD cover it mods or not (minus a SC cause that's just a whole new ball game).

Thanks Doug.... I'll go to Ancira next time...it's closer to me anyways.
And uh..... TV's and cars... Kinda apples and oranges dontcha think?!
And I honestly didn't expect "panty bunching" with this tread..... Can we pull out our wedgies and be alittle kinder?

A happy wife is one in the garage getting dirty under her 2010 Camaro!
Pumpkin1LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #14
1bad65
Banned

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
When I take my car to the dealership, they never say a word about my mods and I don't even have catalytic converters on it.
1bad65 is offline   Reply With Quote