Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-23-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
GLBL WMR
Booya

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS
I have given up on this paint..

I've given up any hope that I'll make it 5 years without having to repaint this car just to make it presentable and keep it from rusting out. At least when it is repainted, I can make sure it will have paint that is acceptable in terms of durability. The ease in which this paint etches is unbelievable. I could sneeze on this thing and it might etch. The chips are a whole other monster - my front facia looks like it has been sand blasted, and even after I installed the splash guards, the gills continue to rack up chips faster than a poker pro. I even have 2 sizeable chips on the trunk decklid.

Strict care including detailing and waxing (Adams products) is an exercise in futility. I never have driven through a gravel parking lot, and I don't drive through tornadoes. I avoid construction zones like the plague. Black certainly doesn't help, but none of my previous black cars have provided me the same problems. The bottom line is that it is completely unacceptable for a $35K car, and this issue alone will be cause me to much more carefully consider buying any new car.

So here's to throwing in the towel, and taking a hit to the wallet.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I with you brother. I have decided to stop taking mine in every other month to get the dealer to repaint a new section even though they have been doing it under warranty.

I'm running it the way it is. I'm not going to fuss over it any more. Hell, I haven't even washed it for over a month. It's not worth it. I'm going to run this one into the ground and get a Z/28 when they come out. Hopefully they get a hold on making water based paints more durable by then.

Last edited by motorhead; 07-23-2010 at 08:46 AM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBL WMR View Post
the gills continue to rack up chips faster than a poker pro.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
man I can't believe these problems, here I am with 10K miles on mine and narry a paint problem except for where a big rock flew out of a truck tire and popped the front just below the lower grill.. No gill chips and no scratching of the paint anywhere that I can see...
I don't konw why I am not experiencing any of those problems. just wonder if there is anyone out there like me with no paint issues.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
man I can't believe these problems, here I am with 10K miles on mine and narry a paint problem except for where a big rock flew out of a truck tire and popped the front just below the lower grill.. No gill chips and no scratching of the paint anywhere that I can see...
I don't konw why I am not experiencing any of those problems. just wonder if there is anyone out there like me with no paint issues.
My is the same as Skyman's. I only have 1 very small chip on the drivers side fender. It is so small that 1 small dab of touchup and you can hardly notice it. None around my gills either. I wonder if it is the color? Does anyone with a Rally Yellow have paint problems?
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
I am with you, brother. I am extremely careful with the car, and I have dozens of rock chips, too. I put on the splash guards after having the car for one week, and still I have chips in numerous places.

I just got a bottle of touch up paint from the dealer, I guess I better order me a few more bottles.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
Eric's Blue

Drives: Cybergray 1SS
Is this a pattern with the black paint?
Old 07-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
SchwarzerDrache
No, it is not an SS

Drives: SIM 2LT/RS
Seems like it is hit or miss with the paint problems. Makes me wonder if they will have changed anything for teh 2011. I am thinking of getting a clear bra when I get mine, but don't want to. I just sold my car with 90k miles on it and not ONE chip on the paint and no clear bra, but with all the problems I don't think I can take the chance.

On a side note...we should NOT have to get a clear bra to deal with this, but what choice do I have (for all those who say "just get a clear bra")?
SchwarzerDrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric's Blue View Post
I don't think so because mine is white.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #10
Mdun6

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS
Man that sounds like a bad batch of sealer or something from the factory. I would start a thread on the forum and get responses from other owners with this problem. Have them post their build date so you guys can try to narrow it down. I would not give up on taking to the dealer, make them fix it. Gm has had these type of paint issue's in the past (and no im not bashing GM i used to work there).
Mdun6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #11
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
I have an RJT 2SS. The paint is holding up well. I actually hit a retread from a semi that was on the highway, with the front driver's side corner of my spoiler. It hit hard enough to tear the rubber lip and flipped up and dented the side, but did not scratch the paint. I have a couple of nicks in the lower front spoiler, but I expected that. I have had other low sitting vehicles and the spoiler always gets trashed. I considered using invisibra. But with the cost and yellowing issues, I figured it would be cheaper just to repaint every couple of years. My local shop qouted me about $300 to respray it.

Now my rear fascia is a different issue. The edges of my rear fascia are rubbing. I just spoke to my dealer and was told there was a service bulletin about this. So we will see.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #12
elcapitan1110
ElCapitan1110

Drives: 2010 Black RS/2SS M6
Yeah, I've put about 4k miles on mine, and the paint is just impossible. No matter what I do, I can't keep it clean. I have dings from rocks everywhere, and I've gotten to the point where I can't enjoy it anymore. Granted, I understand it's a car, and it will get dinged up no matter what. However, on top of the fact that it's black, it probably got a terrible paint job from GM?
elcapitan1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #13
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric's Blue View Post
My IOM had few paint problems from the factory if any at all besides the basic orange peel.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #14
GATORJAK

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I just turned over 3000 miles, yesterday. I have a chip in the lower air dam, one in the hood by the windshield, and a couple very small ones by the gills. I avoid any rocks on the road like the plague! BUT, living in Louisiana with the dump truck as the state sports car, its hard! (LUCKILY?) I took one in the windshield yesterday from a truck going off the edge of the road, going opposite direction, instead of the paint.

I keep an eye on the gill area. It is harder to see on yellow. With all the talk of problems, my play is to take it to be repainted by GM when I get a collection. LEVIS Cheverolet here in Slidell has always taken very good care of me.