Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #71
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
If they wait until the 6th Gen, I'm guessing the Z/28 will be released for the 50th anniversary. If they do that, they better build the best Camaro they can Corvette or no Corvette. I doubt that will happen so who knows how it will end up. The key to this situation is what engines will be developed with the new LT series.

Or GM could do a crash course engine program like the 302 in the BOSS but that would be too expensive right?
The general consensus here is that a purpose built engine for a low production number model would be too expensive. With the way GM operates I agree, but it sounds like making excuses when the competition pulls it off. I would never buy a Mustang in a million years but Ford seems to offer more choices to the customer without making excuses. More colors, forged internals, V-6 performance packages just to name a few.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #72
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I honestly don't understand why everyone is hung up on a name. The name doesn't make the car. The car makes the name. I don't care what they call a call if it performs well.

I need say no more!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #73
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
I honestly don't understand why everyone is hung up on a name. The name doesn't make the car. The car makes the name. I don't care what they call a call if it performs well.
Then I guess you don't have a problem buying a 1LE or ZL-1. Many here WANT the Z-28 and WANT it to be an extremely iconic car as the ZL-1 is and if made cheaper it just may be THE camaro to have as it was back in the day. If they make this car, it'll be Chevrolet's most popular car beneath the ZL-1 that not only makes them proud to offer, but something the ppl are chomping at the bit to own!

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #74
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
The 5th Gen literally resparked the Camaro so it makes no sense not the bring it back in the 5th Gen. What better way to send off the revival of the Camaro than with reviving the most iconic Camaro ever?
It makes plenty of sense NOT to bring it to a 5th gen. Mustang is already making noise with its redesigning of the Mustang. Camaro is going to need the same thing with its 6th Gen, and with the Z/28 possibly making a production why not?

Rushing every known edition that was made for the Camaro to debut as a 5th Gen is asking for suicide. GM is doing the right thing.

"If you build it, they will come....."
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #75
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:

This statement has been made many times before. The answer is the "car" already made the "name" hence the desire for the "car" named Z28.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #76
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY1STCAMAR0 View Post
The Z/28 will respark the Camaro. That's their big gun, makes no sense to bring it out as a 5th Gen. It'll get released....
What???

Quote:
The 5th Gen literally resparked the Camaro so it makes no sense not the bring it back in the 5th Gen. What better way to send off the revival of the Camaro than with reviving the most iconic Camaro ever?
Yes!
Old 12-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #77
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
It makes plenty of sense NOT to bring it to a 5th gen. Mustang is already making noise with its redesigning of the Mustang. Camaro is going to need the same thing with its 6th Gen, and with the Z/28 possibly making a production why not?

Rushing every known edition that was made for the Camaro to debut as a 5th Gen is asking for suicide. GM is doing the right thing.

This is exactly the opposite of what makes a smart marketing strategy. Why do you think Ford threw everything at the Mustang at the end of its Generations life? That's how you make an exiting design stay relevant. Also a new Gen is its own thunder.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #78
PYROLYSIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
This is exactly the opposite of what makes a smart marketing strategy. Why do you think Ford threw everything at the Mustang at the end of its Generations life? That's how you make an exiting design stay relevant. Also a new Gen is its own thunder.
Yep. And would also like to know what Mustang fans think of the next Mustang going european cause if it does, I think it would be a huge mistake no matter how much it is improved. I can say that I don't hate how the Mustang looks now but I couldn't say that if they go in the direction of the renderings that have been shown.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #79
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
The general consensus here is that a purpose built engine for a low production number model would be too expensive. With the way GM operates I agree, but it sounds like making excuses when the competition pulls it off. I would never buy a Mustang in a million years but Ford seems to offer more choices to the customer without making excuses. More colors, forged internals, V-6 performance packages just to name a few.
I understand that but it seems more of a cop out than an answer.

Ford removed the rear seat on the BOSS LS. GM can't do it because its too expensive.
Ford changes their engines a lot. GM doesn't because it's too expensive to change an engine like that.
Ford has plenty of paint colors including a bright blue. GM doesn't because bright blues don't sell and it's too expensive to have a lot of colors.

Quote:

There is a lot of talk about the next gen Mustang because its the next Mustang, not because there are any new performance models coming out. The Camaro will get the same response. The next Mustang is coming out before the next Camaro so the Camaro needs to have something to combat the new Mustang release. That being a Z/28.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #80
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

GM spends its money on its flagship the Corvette. As Ford does on its flagship the Mustang. The Camaro has for years been only another car in GM's fold, however they have learned some from the past. They have upped the Camaro's ranking. Know that it will never be considered as important to GM as the Mustang is to Ford. The Corvette is their king, but the Camaro does receive much more of the trickle down effect.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #81
PYROLYSIS

The Corvette is another excuse to me. I can understand them taking a careful approach when the fifth gen was first released because they weren't sure how it would sell and were going through financial problems but it seems times have changed. The Camaro has more than payed for itself. I don't want to sound ungrateful because they really have offered alot with the new Camaro and I believe it's an all around better vehicle. I just wish some more options were available and they will tell you everything under the sun except for the fact that they don't want to cut into profits. I've heard the flex plant excuse too in reguards to color and other options. Ford had financial problems too and has still managed to offer everything that they do.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #82
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
GM spends its money on its flagship the Corvette. As Ford does on its flagship the Mustang. The Camaro has for years been only another car in GM's fold, however they have learned some from the past. They have upped the Camaro's ranking. Know that it will never be considered as important to GM as the Mustang is to Ford. The Corvette is their king, but the Camaro does receive much more of the trickle down effect.
I'm not saying that GM should develop the Camaro until runs with the Corvette but they also have to spend enough to keep the Camaro comparative in the market. But, honestly, how much would it take to work over the LS3 for a Z/28 like Ford does with the 302? Obviously it's too expensive, right?

There's a reason the Camaro died but the Mustang didn't.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #83
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
GM cut the camaro because it was not sustaining profit from it obviously. But GM is not out of financial problems either. They're trying to become more competitive with new models but it seems they're making a ton of models all over the world and it could hurt them. Making too many models can harm them as well.
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #84
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
GM cut the camaro because it was not sustaining profit from it obviously. But GM is not out of financial problems either. They're trying to become more competitive with new models but it seems they're making a ton of models all over the world and it could hurt them. Making too many models can harm them as well.
But why didn't it make a profit? Not enough updates to keep it fresh and interesting? The LS1 Camaro is a fun car (I drive one) but imagine what it would have been if they dropped in the LS6 for the Z/28. Kept the LS1 as the SS.