Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 07-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
Navy Blue
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2001 Chevy Impala
4th gen...very interesting

hey everyone, i haven't been on here in a while...i've been thinking about life as i do when i have a few too many, and i think i'm going to hold off on a 5th gen...sadly...but on the up side, i'm thinking of my life..i'm buying a house, but fuifure since i can't have a car not of 5 years i'll buy something that i can pay cash, or save a few months for to afford, i'm looking for a 4th gen V8 stick! i've browsed around...and i'm in love..dare i say even more so then with the 5th gen, i'm willing to travel for this beauty, and my price range id upto 7k, i don't want to go higher then that, if i cannot find something to my liking i'm willing to get a pontiac firebird trans am, with the v8 and stick shift, i'm not particularly looking for sellers but if there are it'd help, i more so want tips from anyobe owning, likes...dislikes..things to lookout for, it would help me out alot, and i'd be very appreciative!...and if someone knows spots online selling them at that price range a link or 2 would be cool too, i'm in the chicagoland area and i plan to buy in a month or 2..gotta enjoy some summer in it!...in advanced..thank you.
Navy Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Blue View Post
hey everyone, i haven't been on here in a while...i've been thinking about life as i do when i have a few too many, and i think i'm going to hold off on a 5th gen...sadly...but on the up side, i'm thinking of my life..i'm buying a house, but fuifure since i can't have a car not of 5 years i'll buy something that i can pay cash, or save a few months for to afford, i'm looking for a 4th gen V8 stick! i've browsed around...and i'm in love..dare i say even more so then with the 5th gen, i'm willing to travel for this beauty, and my price range id upto 7k, i don't want to go higher then that, if i cannot find something to my liking i'm willing to get a pontiac firebird trans am, with the v8 and stick shift, i'm not particularly looking for sellers but if there are it'd help, i more so want tips from anyobe owning, likes...dislikes..things to lookout for, it would help me out alot, and i'd be very appreciative!...and if someone knows spots online selling them at that price range a link or 2 would be cool too, i'm in the chicagoland area and i plan to buy in a month or 2..gotta enjoy some summer in it!...in advanced..thank you.
Go with a T-top, if you don't you'll wish you had...
Avoid salvage titles at all costs, regardless of how spectacular the price- The interior will RATTLE to no end...
Don't let anyone talk you out of a V8 due to the economy of the 6... There really isn't much difference between the 6 and the 8, and you're gonna love the power of the 8...

Aside from that, POST PICS You're gonna love your 4th gen, they're great, fun cars!

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:16 AM   #3
SAUCE

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS BLKonBLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Blue View Post

Im in the exact same boat!! I have owned a 89Z, 93Z, and I thought my next would be the 2010. I fell in love several years ago when I saw the concept in person. I am coming off my second tour from Iraq and have been doing nothing but saving money so that wasnt the issue. I am getting ready to go back to college and did not want to have a high car payment. So I decided to go with something that would make me just as happy that I could just buy. A 2002 SS. I found one for a great price with under 16k miles and is exactly what I want. I also felt that it would give the next couple of years of camaros to come out with the lil upgrades they add each year. Im just as exited to get the 2002 as I would be a 2010 prob cause I have never owned an LS1 but have several buddies who have owned more than I can count, so I happened to learn alot about them.

I would say for your search its fairly simple. I would try to find one as close to stock as possible for the price your willing to spend. I would say for that price its going to have over a 100k miles, but if you find one that is stock and has been well maintained as well as good interior and exterior looks you will find a great buy. GOODLUCK!!!

2SS RS
CGM
black panel
DT spoiler

Right off the bat:
CAI
FAST LSXr Intake
LT's
SLP loudmouth
SAUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Navy Blue
Future Camaro Owner

cool!! anyone know anyone selling one?
Old 07-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
Paperer
Ragin' Cajun

Drives: '02 Camaro SS - '10 CGM 2SS/RS
Check Craigslist. I just did a search in IN and I found some pretty good deals.

91K on the motor:
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1262349030.html
Old 07-18-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
7CAMARO7

Drives: Slow 4th gen
Stay on ebay. As a matter of fact you can get ebay to email you everytime a car gets listed that meets your requirements. That's what I did when I was looking for mine. Saves the time of looking. Also stay on forums like ls1tech and others because cars are always being listed on there too. If you're willing to spend $10k you can have a very nice one with mods and all! Seen them myself.

Personally I'd take stock over modded so I can do everything myself, but since now I know what's what, I wouldn't mind taking a modded car after a thorough looking over and really good test drive

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:40 PM   #7
Navy Blue
Future Camaro Owner

sweet..you guys are what i call...lifesavers! i really appreciate the help really! i can't wait to find my car.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #8
Cojaflow

Drives: t-tops of course 2000 3.8 blue
Go to Craigslist and look around A LOT. What's good about Craigslist that you can't do on ebay is talk to the people and get a feel for how they treated their cars. Don't buy from a kid. If it has big speakers and under glow crap then pass. They abused it and there will be problems. There are older guys that took care of their cars that are ready to sell, either for a gen 5 down payment or in my case a 70 y/o man whose lady couldn't get in and out of it anymore.

I have stated in other threads that I got my 2000 3.8 with only 80k for $2500. I took 2 months looking on Craigslist and sent messages to or called everyone I could possibly be interested in. My car came from a post without pictures or details. SO DON'T CANCEL THOSE OUT IN YOUR SEARCHES! Just ask if they don't mention it. Make a list of things to ask or you'll forget to ask them. Example: Is there anything that needs fixed or will need fixed? Has anything been done to the car? Does it leak any fluids? Do you have pics? and so on. I made a wordpad file to saved the url of the ad and details and pics to to keep it all straight. I made notations whether I called or emailed them and if I got a response. There are a lot of cars for sale right now. Have fun!
On June 28, 1966, General Motors' General Manager Pete Estes claimed the name, "suggests the comradeship of good friends as a personal car should be to its owner" and that "to us, the name means just what we think the car will do... Go!" The new Camaro name was then unveiled.

The Press asked Chevrolet product managers,

"What is a Camaro?" and were told it was "a small, vicious animal that EATS Mustangs."
Cojaflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
Navy Blue
Future Camaro Owner

i found a gorgeous beauty in indianapolis, i wouldn't mind taking a little ride to go see one of theese babies! it's white..though it has 140k, it meets my requirements and it's dirt cheap! it's 2200..i contacted the person selling, hopefully i will be driving it home soon!..even better i gotta be a west lafayette in a week for my brother's son's baptis (im going to be the godfather! haha) i can kill 2 birds with one stone!..i'm so exited i can't sleep! though i'm going to keep reserching, thanks for all the great ideas...i actually am liking more this 4th gen than the 5th gen!......bold statement huh?
Old 07-20-2009, 12:26 AM   #10
AquaBlue6

Drives: 1996 Camaro SS #693
Canceled my 5th gen order yesterday for similar reasons, not to mention the fact that I found my middle school dream car. I Bought her yesterday and will have picks up as soon as the weather clears up here. She's a black 1996 SS (#693) and she only has 47k miles. As soon as I saw the car I knew I had to have it, I stayed up all night waiting for 8:00 am to come around so I could call about it. The first owner was a 63 year old woman that used to race Pro Stock Challengers in the NHRA, the whole thing sounded like one of those stories you hear about a car but never quite believe. Can't wait to put up picks!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
Navy Blue
Future Camaro Owner

sweet! congrats on your find!! i'm still knee deep in the search, i'm thinking about hitting up a few auto auctions...though i feel im really gambling on them, but wouldn't hurt to see what i can find.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #12
MustangKillr

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojaflow View Post
Don't buy from a kid. If it has big speakers and under glow crap then pass. They abused it and there will be problems.
That's kind of stereotypical don't you think? I have green neon underglow on my 2002 Z28, and I'm 18 and take great care of it. Full synthetic oil, oil change every 3,000 miles, wash it almost every week, and do all my work by myself or with help from a friend. Has it ever crossed your mind that some people find neon tasteful? It's all about individuality, just because someone throws a huge ricer wing on their car doesn't necessarily mean that they "abused: their car.
MustangKillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #13
Navy Blue
Future Camaro Owner

hmm, true, though i don't personally like the "ricer" look with the gigantic spoilers and what not, on a camaro i'd call it...beef fried rice! haha but neon's ok with me so getting to the point...you selling your car? :P haha this search is tough, alot of bogus cars on craigslist, ahh oh well, i might even go for a trans am but i'm convinced on buying a ws6 or 6ws...w6s? s6w? ..anywhoo yea but i've noticed they're a bit more expensive, i still have my heart set on the camaro and i'm still searching, i know i'll find it, but like many have said here, i'd like to have a stock one so i can personalize it myself, so it can be unique to me. but i appreciate all the input really, it means alot to know i can count on random people i don't know

that last bit was mean't to be a joke though it's true......i just weirded myself out!

*oh yea, craigslist isn't the only page i'm searching on..i'm everywhere looking haha*
Old 07-22-2009, 03:33 AM   #14
MustangKillr

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Haha yes, it's a Pontiac WS6, which is essentially the same as a Camaro SS. Well not to further rub it in, but other than the neon and a couple of free minor mods, my car is bone stock; no major work done. Mine's a 2002 Z28 with 141,221 miles on it, and as I said before, I take great care of my car despite the miles. I'm about to throw new tires and new brakes on the car (as you may have seen from my forum post), and I'm about to do a full seafoam and change the sparkplugs on it . I might be selling it in the near future, depending on how well I like it after all the work. How much are you willing to pay, just out of curiosity. I'm very very attached to this car .

Last edited by MustangKillr; 07-23-2009 at 01:09 AM.
MustangKillr is offline   Reply With Quote