Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Saturday Night Live

Anyone see the despicable opening to SNL yesterday? The car execs tell congress this time they drove from detroit, but their Cadillac caught on fire, and their Chryslers windshield fell off.
These people are either completely out of touch with reality, or they really hate this country. i turned the thing off after 30 seconds.

Last edited by AZCamaroFan; 11-23-2008 at 10:33 PM.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
Lex

Drives: 1989 Jaguar XJS w/L98 swap
That's .... No wonder this country is going down the tubes....

2 wrongs don't make a right... but 3 lefts do!
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
That's really sad : /
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Where was all the angst with SNL during the recent election? Funny, folks can get all bent out of shape about a business but when its as important as who will be the next leader of our country, it's all shits 'n giggles.

Oh, BTW, I agree it's in bad taste and can't stand it myself.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:27 PM   #5
KatarHol

Drives: '04 Mustang GT
Waiting,waiting,waiting........................... for someone to say it's not as funny as it used to be. I thought it was funny,c'mon it's a comedy show and the big 3 can take a shot,especially if they're going to fly their coporate jets there to ask for a loan,especially since they've put themselves in a postion to ask for a loan in the first place.........how about being more offended that the Avenger/Sebring/Caliber/Patriot(for example) is what dodge is giving us to represent America cars,talk about treason. At least GM and Ford are trying with most of their cars. The Ram is nice though.
My favorite SNL joke about a car is "Ford is killing off the Taurus,so now guys in their mid-30's will need to find a new car to show the world they've stopped trying"
KatarHol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:38 PM   #6
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Sure it's a comedy show and it's all in good fun. But the sad thing is that many people actually believe what they see on TV, and because of this people will refuse to buy domestic and only further our economic downfall.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:12 AM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^That's what I was thinking....

and no...it's not as funny as it used to be back in the 80's with Eddie Murphy, Dan Akroyd, Chevy Chase, etc.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:26 AM   #8
Hesh

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro Vin 34334
Uh Tag chevy and dan were in the 70's not the 80's with eddie but those were both equally good years of SNL. I think it went down hill with the departure of dana carvey, mike myers, adam sandler, david spade, and of course chris farley... Most of the newer people on that show arent even funny and really crappy comedians.
Hesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #9
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatarHol View Post
Waiting,waiting,waiting........................... for someone to say it's not as funny as it used to be. I thought it was funny,c'mon it's a comedy show and the big 3 can take a shot,especially if they're going to fly their coporate jets there to ask for a loan,especially since they've put themselves in a postion to ask for a loan in the first place.........how about being more offended that the Avenger/Sebring/Caliber/Patriot(for example) is what dodge is giving us to represent America cars,talk about treason. At least GM and Ford are trying with most of their cars. The Ram is nice though.
My favorite SNL joke about a car is "Ford is killing off the Taurus,so now guys in their mid-30's will need to find a new car to show the world they've stopped trying"

The best part about this quote, is i have a friend who dropped out of highschool, and he rolls around in a mid 90's Taurus everywhere!
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #10
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Personally, I think SNL has been funnier the last couple of years then it was in the prior 15.

It's satire guys, it's not that 'the people' are watching this and learning how to think. It's that 'the people' are thinking wow, Detroit is being ridiculous and SNL is reflecting and amplifying that.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:09 AM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Just as SNL swayed the perceptions in the election they are doing it again here. SNL has had a history of making political and social statements in their "Satire" unfortunately too many people will believe it as being a reflection of the truth instead of "Satire" of the publics perceptions.
I stopped watching SNL years ago just because I felt that they started going too far in making social and political statements.

It's funny that they can't be sued by the Big 3 for slander, bucause it is under the lable of satire... if it was NBC news that came out with a video showing cadillacs catching on fire and chrysler windhields falling out it would be another story. (remember their story on Chevy Trucks Exploding)
Old 11-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #12
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
I used to only watch SNL when there was nothing else on. After the past few months though, I will never watch it again. The past few months especially though have shown they are not only not funny anymore, they put out propaganda that is painfully obvious. They used to get on everyone, now it is 100% to emphasize their political views. You can watch Leno and he always makes fun of both sides, I may not agree with all the jokes, but at least he does'nt give anybody a pass.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:08 PM   #13
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
I don't know, they've been sticking it to Biden, Pelosi, Frank and Murtha over the last few weeks pretty hard. They had a Clinton skit every week when he was in power. SNL just seems to pick on whoever's in charge- but no one will be picking on Obama for a little while. He's getting a honeymoon and a half.

Leno does a stand up monologue. It's easier to put in a joke about 1 party then a rebuttal for the other than it is to do a rebuttal sketch.

I get more upset by shows like The Daily Show. This presents itself as being almost news. I get even MORE upset by MSN, CNN, et al where they have clearly biased people presenting news that won't admit they are biased. If you want to do commentary, that's fine-say what you are and present it as such.

I'm pretty much solidly in the conservative column but SNL doesn't really bother me.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #14
andyrew

Drives: Audi A4 STG3, Porsche 914 v8
There are people that cant take a joke,

And there are people that can.

Which one are you?

For reference, both candidates went on SNL and made jokes about themselves. Showed good character and upbeat attitude.

Sadly I didnt get to watch SNL this weekend, but im sure it was the same as all the others,boring for the most part but a couple of really good skits that have you talking about it the next monday.
andyrew is offline   Reply With Quote