Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-21-2008, 01:49 AM   #1
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
why get an rs package on the 2ss?

Hey guys, this is my 2nd post here. I've constantly been on this site, and finally decided to join! i've been missing out...until now. I've been wondering why bother getting the rs package if you're already getting the 2ss?

RS package consists of:
20-inch Midnight Silver painted aluminum wheels
High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps
Body-color roof ditch molding
Rear spoiler (1LT and 2LT models)
RS unique taillamps
RS badging

So the only thing i want is the HID lights. Both 1ss and 2ss come with 20's, 2ss has a rear spoiler, and it's got ss badging...... so why pay $1200 for different colored wheels(slightly different), HIDs, and badging?

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, or missing something here, but this is my understanding of adding an rs pack to a 2ss.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:58 AM   #2
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
you are correct that is all you get, but the car looks better with the colored roof ditch molding and the HID lights
Old 10-21-2008, 02:02 AM   #3
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
'punter, you are fast!

If you don't want:

High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps and RS unique taillamps

Do not order RS on SS.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:20 AM   #4
kanakattack

Drives: wife's xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshocker6969 View Post
Hey guys, this is my 2nd post here. I've constantly been on this site, and finally decided to join! i've been missing out...until now. I've been wondering why bother getting the rs package if you're already getting the 2ss?

RS package consists of:
20-inch Midnight Silver painted aluminum wheels
High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps
Body-color roof ditch molding
Rear spoiler (1LT and 2LT models)
RS unique taillamps
RS badging

So the only thing i want is the HID lights. Both 1ss and 2ss come with 20's, 2ss has a rear spoiler, and it's got ss badging...... so why pay $1200 for different colored wheels(slightly different), HIDs, and badging?

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, or missing something here, but this is my understanding of adding an rs pack to a 2ss.
You're right, most of it is for aesthetic reasons. for me I am ordering a black 2SS and I think the wheels would match better and the body color molding would make it look cleaner. I had a 300C prior, I already had HID lights and I like the look of halo lights so when they finally came available for the 300C I ordered them and put them in let me tell you it was a pain. I like the look of the HID lights and the halo lights around them and I would rather fork out the extra 1200 to have them as well as the other small but significant detailing than to do them aftermarket again.
kanakattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:23 AM   #5
LS3SSRS

damn, you are fast! lol what is the roof ditch molding anyways?
Old 10-21-2008, 02:25 AM   #6
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Red face

Quote:
you know, i wanna know what the *BLEEP* that is too
Old 10-21-2008, 02:27 AM   #7
headpunter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
you know, i wanna know what the *BLEEP* that is too

meet this thread

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=molding
Old 10-21-2008, 02:28 AM   #8
kanakattack

Drives: wife's xterra
Quote:
Thats the molding that runs the length on both sides of the roof where the water runs off to either the front window or rear quarter panel. I am assuming that if you do not order the RS package then it would be a flat black like most other trim now days.
kanakattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:34 AM   #9
LS3SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
thank you headpunter! i guess i'm for sure getting the rs package now. it looks sooooo nice with it painted....not to mention easier to wax...i hate trying to not get wax on rubber moulding.... unless you use ice wax i guess....
Old 10-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Question

thanks for the info Head, i guess if i EVER get the Camaro I will probably be getting the LT and I can always have those moldings painted body color I have a friend who owns and runs a body shop that does newer cars. I wonder if you could order the "HALO" lights from the dealer and swap them out? I know you can get the console gauges which I would be SO getting.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #11
headpunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
thanks for the info Head, i guess if i EVER get the Camaro I will probably be getting the LT and I can always have those moldings painted body color I have a friend who owns and runs a body shop that does newer cars. I wonder if you could order the "HALO" lights from the dealer and swap them out? I know you can get the console gauges which I would be SO getting.
they can be hard to get painted since they are rubber, i beleive the RS cars are using some sort hard outside layer to be painted as opposed to straight rubber. that way they can get the glossy color on it.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #12
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
they can be hard to get painted since they are rubber, i beleive the RS cars are using some sort hard outside layer to be painted as opposed to straight rubber. that way they can get the glossy color on it.
My '04 Expedition has them painted from the factory and it's the only place on the entire truck where the paint is cracking. There is no hard outside layer that I can tell (except for the paint and clearcoat itself), it's just black paint on top of the rubber. Cheap. Good thing that's 6 feet up and no one but me ever sees it.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #13
headpunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
My '04 Expedition has them painted from the factory and it's the only place on the entire truck where the paint is cracking. There is no hard outside layer that I can tell (except for the paint and clearcoat itself), it's just black paint on top of the rubber. Cheap. Good thing that's 6 feet up and no one but me ever sees it.
i cant say for sure but i did tap them and they didnt seem soft like my trucks ditch molding...
Old 10-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #14
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
It wasn't until I tapped the roof and then the ditch moulding with a key that I realized they had just painted over the rubber. The paint itself is pretty hard but it was the dull sound of the key tapping that gave it away.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote