Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-19-2011, 01:40 AM   #1
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Good bye Camaro

Hello C5 family. I joined C5 in November of 2010 and have had a great time in these threads. I have learned about the Camaro from bumper to bumper and have had some fun times in the forum. I purchased my 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS on 12/09/09, never drove it in the winter and got a chance to experience enjoying it for 5,200 miles.

I am ready to come clean in here. I have been struggling with an alcohol problem for the last 10 years. In the midst of everything I have gotten two DUIs and on August 2010 I ended up in a situation where I experienced a black out, I was found not breathing in the driver's seat of my truck in a ditch on the side of a remote road in a distant town. I was airlifted to a hospital with a nearly fatal alcohol poisioning/ heat exposure combo. Fortunately I made full recovery and have since been to rehab and have remained sober upto date, almost 8 months now. I am a member of AA and life is good today. However, in October 2010 the DMV suspended my driver's license for one year for the August incident and mysteriously I was not arrested or cited for this incident. Today I went to pick up my mail to find a letter from the DA's office stating that I am being charged with a DUI. This makes three in a ten year range so I am facing some jail time and now my driver's license will be suspended for three years under California law. I accept paying for what I have done and feel blessed to have not harmed anyone else in my insane rondavoo with alcohol. Unfortunately this also means that the Camaro must go, why store it for 3 years? Anyway just felt like sharing and hope this can help others learn from my lesson that driving drunk is a terrible idea and that accepting I have a drinking problem has been the most liberating experience I've ever had in my life. Thank you.

:(
Name:  user34429_pic45287_1298395499.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  189.1 KB
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I truly wish you the best of luck and strength.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:46 AM   #3
Transfusion

Drives: 1SS Summit White
I will admit I have never seen anyone do anything like this . I am sure this is probably a very personal thing for you. I appreciate you sharing it, but don't think about leaving the forum dude just cause your selling the camaro. You da man!
Transfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #4
bee sting

Drives: 1997 30th Ann. Z28 & 2010 2LT RS
Good luck I know it's a hard thing to beat but you have to be strong and get help ! Your life means more than any car ever will . Don't leave the C5 family and keep us posted on how your doing !
Old 03-19-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
CarolinaChick

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT/RS
I am so glad you are sober! That's quite an accomplishment and I'm very proud of you! Oh, and don't leave the forum - you may run into a good deal one day when a member decides to sell their car and you can be an owner again.
CarolinaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:13 AM   #6
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
Congrats on getting help! My father was an Alcoholic and he wouldn't get help! Yes I do drink myself but just beer, liquor is nasty! But I just have a couple here and there! I don't want to be like my father! He died from cirrhosis of the liver! Just don't leave the forum man, you might need someone to talk to! And we are always here!! Peace!
Old 03-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
3 DUI's??? Really??? you should have been locked up after the first one IMO, I have no tolerance for people who drink and drive, and if you didn't learn that after the first DUI then I doubt you will ever learn. Sorry buddy but I'm more happy that you will be off the streets, and won't be putting people lives in harms way with your selfish ways.

Everybody here wishing you luck? you will have no choice but to be sober in jail, good luck??? more like good riddance...

3 DUI's people!!! wake up people like this need to be off the streets. whats it going to take someone like this to hit to close to home and kill or hurt a family memeber???

Good luck??? please..
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #8
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolFan66 View Post
3 DUI's??? Really??? you should have been locked up after the first one IMO, I have no tolerance for people who drink and drive, and if you didn't learn that after the first DUI then I doubt you will ever learn. Sorry buddy but I'm more happy that you will be off the streets, and won't be putting people lives in harms way with your selfish ways.

Everybody here wishing you luck? you will have no choice but to be sober in jail, good luck??? more like good riddance...

3 DUI's people!!! wake up people like this need to be off the streets. whats it going to take someone like this to hit to close to home and kill or hurt a family memeber???

Good luck??? please..
In AZ you would have been locked up or gotten home confinement after the first. I had a buddy of mine who I tried to take with me to my new job but he got a DUI last August and didn't tell me. My job and the job he applied for has a lot of driving so he got passed over. You probably should have sought help before this became a problem; before you even got a DUI. Now I'm no saint but I stopped heavy drinking in my early 20s, this is what it can lead to. Sounds like you have some real issues with alcohol, sorry it came to this but good luck in recovery.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #9
CamarosThree

Drives: 2010 SSRS 97 Camaro SS 1969 Camaro
Thank you so much for your share, that took a lot of courage. Please know that you survived that incident for a reason, and that you have a great deal to contribute to others, both here on this forumn and to others you come into contact with. Best of luck to you. Please keep in touch......
CamarosThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #10
CamarosThree

Drives: 2010 SSRS 97 Camaro SS 1969 Camaro

This is a good example of why you should not leave this forum. A lot of people, if not most, do not understand the nature of this disease. It's not like you wake up one day and decide that you are going quit drinking and take up fishing instead. Look at this as an opportunity to help inform others as to the nature and power of this disease.
CamarosThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #11
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
glad to hear you are getting help.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:51 AM   #12
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Thank you guys, yes even you ToolFan66. I will stop in here from time to time. I have had a chance to learn a lot about myself through this sobering experience and especially have learned as to "why" I would go through so much and not learn from the first DUI. When I was not aware that I might be an alcoholic, I looked at it as "bad luck". Today I look at it as "good luck" that I was granted another chance at life and was "very lucky" to not have hurt anyone else. This wake up call has me looking at life in a new light. I was selfish to drink and drive and not get help sooner, but that's the powerlessness of my self will against a powerful addiction to a substance "alcohol" that I could not and would not ever be able to control without help. Posting this thread did take courage and I am not ashamed to be a recovering alcoholic today. I am blessed to be sober and no longer endangering other motorists nor myself everytime I would get behind the wheel under the influence. This is why I accept what I have coming gratefully and accept that some people don't understand that I could have never stopped on pure self will. The great thing is that now "I" know how to stay sober. Thanks again everyone. God Bless.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #13
razorduck
Self Made Thousandaire

Drives: 2011 SS/RS RJT
God Bless you and keep up the sobriety. Don't let the last 8 months be in vain.
razorduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #14
lexlueger

Drives: V10 BMW M5, Supercharged 2SS/RS
Good luck. God speed my friend.
IW 8 RIB PULLEY W/ OD COG REARS
NX EXPRESS/NANO KIT

KDI HEAT EXCHANGER/ROTOFAB RESERVOIR
CIRCLE D 2800 TC/FLEX PLATE/ADM TRANS COOLER
DSS DRIVESHAFT/1400 HP AXLES
EATON TRUETRAC -LPE 3.27 GEARS
DYNATECH HEADERS/MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST