Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quick Question/observation

This is my first supercharger (new TVS 2300) and my first long trip with it, through the mountains. My trip was from Indianapolis to the coast of NC, traveling through the mntns of WVa. When I was in the highest part of the mountain, I got a "Service Car Soon" in the DIC. Anytime I would stop for a break, restart the car, the message would again appear. Once I got back to a lower altitude, the message would never come on again. On my return trip, once in the upper part of the mountains, same error displayed. Once out of the mountains, no more error displayed.

Was it just the 'thin' air that would cause that? I had never read anyone else having that on the forum and was just curious. Car ran great, had plenty of power climbing the mountains and was a blast on the way down. weeeeeeee.

It was a great trip, had a blast, put 1,835 miles on it round trip and motor never skipped a beat. Drove straight through on the way there, 12 hrs, was still going strong. I love this car.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
This is my first supercharger (new TVS 2300) and my first long trip with it, through the mountains. My trip was from Indianapolis to the coast of NC, traveling through the mntns of WVa. When I was in the highest part of the mountain, I got a "Service Car Soon" in the DIC. Anytime I would stop for a break, restart the car, the message would again appear. Once I got back to a lower altitude, the message would never come on again. On my return trip, once in the upper part of the mountains, same error displayed. Once out of the mountains, no more error displayed.

Was it just the 'thin' air that would cause that? I had never read anyone else having that on the forum and was just curious. Car ran great, had plenty of power climbing the mountains and was a blast on the way down. weeeeeeee.

It was a great trip, had a blast, put 1,835 miles on it round trip and motor never skipped a beat. Drove straight through on the way there, 12 hrs, was still going strong. I love this car.
Best to Check for Stored codes.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Thanks Ted. I have a Diablo Tuner I took with me. I checked when I got to NC for any codes and none were displaying/found. It was just odd.

I will also stop by my tuner and let him take a look to see if it has any. I am by no means a professional when it comes to that. I will leave it to you pros!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
Thanks Ted. I have a Diablo Tuner I took with me. I checked when I got to NC for any codes and none were displaying/found. It was just odd.

I will also stop by my tuner and let him take a look to see if it has any. I am by no means a professional when it comes to that. I will leave it to you pros!
The Diablo tuner May not be able to see all the codes, you will probably need to see a Dealer with a scanner that can look at all of the modules in the car.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
You should have stopped by on your way through. We could have lined it up real quick. I've always been curious if thinning air could do that with an agressive tune.. Keep us posted.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

will do guys, thanks.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
04GOAT-11SS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 2004 GTO
I beleive that the computer takes a measurement of barometric pressure using the MAP sensor each time prior to starting. On some vehicles this is done when it goes WOT. Obviously on a car with forced induction that's not going to apply as MAP pressure would not be atmospheric but instead boost pressure. There may be some correlation between that and why it wasn't happening at lower elevations. But Ted of course is 100% here and you gotta see what codes it has stored in history. Otherwise it's all guesses.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Never had an issue, and I live at 5500ft.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
Never had an issue, and I live at 5500ft.
Yes but you were tuned at that DA correct? Our concern is being tuned at low DA and traveling to say 9000ft.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
I was tuned at roughly 4500ft, and have gone as high as 12k feet in elevation with the car, and have had no issues.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote