Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #2339
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoV View Post
ok, i will assume that it is NOT needed now and was just others imagination or something...
My testing showed that on the LS3 there would be no point to doing a fuse pull. It will zero learned fuel trims, but that is completely pointless and those immediately start to relearn as well.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #2340
CoV

Drives: 2010 SS IOM & 99 SS Black 6M's
thanks!
CoV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #2341
alexmena_89

Drives: 2013 Camaro Ls
will the pull work for a 2013 Ls (lfx)?
alexmena_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #2342
LRJet35

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
With the cars that are coming from the factory with 14+ miles on them from being driven to get stripes or hood wrap etc, has it ever been verified what fuel they are putting in at the factory? If they were using 87 octane at the factory wouldn't what kind of fuel the dealer puts in be irrelevant?
LRJet35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #2343
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmena_89 View Post
will the pull work for a 2013 Ls (lfx)?
V6 doesn't need to have the fuses pulled
Old 11-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #2344
dirkdoesdirt

Drives: 2010 Silverado, Ordered 1LE
Not having recieved my camaro yet, I think my question is that, does it say anywhere in the owners manual that the LS3 needs to run high octane fuel?
I have personally always been of the belief that the newer cars with all their computer systems can run equally well on reg octane fuel as they do on high octane.
Now older cars there was a difference.

I have tried (and monitored only mileage) on our 2011 Equinox and 2010 Silverado and there is no difference in either running hightest fuel, nor is there any seat in the pants feel difference.
dirkdoesdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #2345
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdoesdirt View Post
Not having recieved my camaro yet, I think my question is that, does it say anywhere in the owners manual that the LS3 needs to run high octane fuel?
I have personally always been of the belief that the newer cars with all their computer systems can run equally well on reg octane fuel as they do on high octane.
Now older cars there was a difference.

I have tried (and monitored only mileage) on our 2011 Equinox and 2010 Silverado and there is no difference in either running hightest fuel, nor is there any seat in the pants feel difference.
From the manual:

Quote:
Recommended Fuel
If the vehicle has the 6.2L V8 engine
(VIN Code W) or the 6.2L V8 engine
(VIN Code J), use premium unleaded
gasoline with a posted octane
rating of 91 or higher. For best
performance, use premium unleaded
gasoline with a posted octane
rating of 93. You can also use
regular unleaded gasoline rated at
87 octane or higher, but the vehicle’s
acceleration could be slightly
reduced, and you might notice a
slight audible knocking noise,
commonly referred to as a spark
knock.
If the octane is less than 87,
you might notice a heavy knocking
noise when you drive. If this occurs,
use a gasoline rated at 87 octane
or higher as soon as possible.
Otherwise, you could damage the
engine. If you are using gasoline
rated at 87 octane or higher and you
hear heavy knocking, the engine
needs service.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #2346
dirkdoesdirt

Drives: 2010 Silverado, Ordered 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
From the manual:
Excellent, that is exactly what I needed to see. Now when my car gets here Im going to make sure the dlr fills it up with high test!!

dirkdoesdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #2347
alexmena_89

Drives: 2013 Camaro Ls
thank you
alexmena_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #2348
Laserjen

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm still interested to see test results from a 2013 L99, but I did the fuse pull just in case. I've never put anything but 93 octane in my car, but 2 different dealers filled the tank at least 3 times so I'm guessing it's very likely it had low octane fuel in it at some point.

Although I can't say for certain that I had an increase in power after the fuse pull (it kind of seems like it, but ), the biggest difference is the idle is a LOT smoother. Before at idle the whole car would jerk unevenly, hasn't done this at all since the fuse pull.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #2349
Cruuzin LV

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
L99 ECU Unplug??

So I'm new to the forum and just got a 45th Anniversary SS Camaro L99. Traded in a 2008 Subaru WRX that had about 5k of mods done and it was very fast. I had been looking at the Camaro SS for quite some time now and really wanted a convertible car so this was the best choice in my opion and price range. "Not a fan of the mustang cheap interior and look."
Anyway I saw this thread and figured used car with 10k miles probably had a low octane fuel in the tank at some point. Did the fuse pull left it out for about 12 hours and put them back in. No noticable change in the way the car behaved. Took the car to the drag strip here in Las Vegas and ran a 14.6 at 98mph 1/4 mile with the car in sport and the nannies turned off. Ran it again with comp mode on in sport and ran a 15sec 1/4 mile. The car has flowmaster mufflers and no other modifacations however this seemed pretty lousy to me. The launches felt really good no wheel spin. So my question is this. Has anyone every just unhooked the two connections to the ECU under the hood to reset it?

I plan on getting a K&N intake and Diablosport programmer and running again in Jan/Feb when the track is open to compair the runs but I am honestly a little disapointed with the "almost stock" 1/4 mile time I ran.
Cruuzin LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #2350
Mongoose03

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruuzin LV View Post
So I'm new to the forum and just got a 45th Anniversary SS Camaro L99. Traded in a 2008 Subaru WRX that had about 5k of mods done and it was very fast. I had been looking at the Camaro SS for quite some time now and really wanted a convertible car so this was the best choice in my opion and price range. "Not a fan of the mustang cheap interior and look."
Anyway I saw this thread and figured used car with 10k miles probably had a low octane fuel in the tank at some point. Did the fuse pull left it out for about 12 hours and put them back in. No noticable change in the way the car behaved. Took the car to the drag strip here in Las Vegas and ran a 14.6 at 98mph 1/4 mile with the car in sport and the nannies turned off. Ran it again with comp mode on in sport and ran a 15sec 1/4 mile. The car has flowmaster mufflers and no other modifacations however this seemed pretty lousy to me. The launches felt really good no wheel spin. So my question is this. Has anyone every just unhooked the two connections to the ECU under the hood to reset it?

I plan on getting a K&N intake and Diablosport programmer and running again in Jan/Feb when the track is open to compair the runs but I am honestly a little disapointed with the "almost stock" 1/4 mile time I ran.
Check these times out for comparison...your comment of lousy sounds pretty damn close
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013

Mongoose03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #2351
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruuzin LV View Post

I've thought about it but never did it.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #2352
Cruuzin LV

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose03 View Post
Check these times out for comparison...your comment of lousy sounds pretty damn close
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013
The slowest l99 on the list did 13.3. That's a far cry from 14.6. Especially considering the temp outside was 60 or am I missing something?
Cruuzin LV is offline   Reply With Quote