Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
Chester

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Catch Can

Did some searching on this site and on internet about catch cans, pros and cons. One article off this site talked about in some situations you may need 2 catch can setups if the factory pvc system is a certain way. Some articles said a little oil by passing is good for engine life. So is a catch can a real must for a 2010 Camaro ss L99 ?
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:32 AM   #2
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
You will likely get lots of opinions on this but I say it isn't needed as the L99 is port injected so the fuel washes over the valves to help keep them clean. On a direct injected engine I think a CC is a good idea to reduce valve coking since the fuel doesn't come into contact with the valves.

If you were boosted I would say a CC is a must too but otherwise stock I really think its unnecessary.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #3
Chester

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
You will likely get lots of opinions on this but I say it isn't needed as the L99 is port injected so the fuel washes over the valves to help keep them clean. On a direct injected engine I think a CC is a good idea to reduce valve coking since the fuel doesn't come into contact with the valves.

If you were boosted I would say a CC is a must too but otherwise stock I really think its unnecessary.
Thanks. Bought the car last summer, 155000 on it, completely stock, prrr"s like a kitten, no oil use, no leaks on the under side. Seems to had good care from what I can tell.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:38 PM   #4
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
You have a detuned L99 with lower compression than the LS3 that is nine years old now. Nuf said. It is what it is so just leave it alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #5
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Careful, you’ll put you eye out with one of those things!
Old 03-24-2019, 06:01 PM   #6
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
No, the L99 doesn't need catch can.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:00 PM   #7
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
155K? I’m taking some comfort in that. Take that thing out for an ice cream and give it a trophy!
Old 03-24-2019, 07:46 PM   #8
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
No, the L99 doesn't need catch can.
Please elaborate Since afm and vvt are the only differences from an LS3. we’re talking minutely different compression and only a few ponies difference. I’m sure plenty of L99s get driven just as hard as LS3s.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #9
Blueovalman

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro 2010 Camaro SS
To each their own I believe any LS3 L99 or any LSX engine for that matter needs a oil catch can. At 155K miles with no catch can your intake manifold is contaminated with oil there are negative effects from running no catch can good luck. I have cleaned my intake manifold and others and it is a oil mess. I highly recommend installing the Elite Engineering catch can as soon as possible. www.eliteengineering.com
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2019, 08:27 PM   #10
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Please elaborate Since afm and vvt are the only differences from an LS3. we’re talking minutely different compression and only a few ponies difference. I’m sure plenty of L99s get driven just as hard as LS3s.
Stock, non-direct injected, non-modified V8s do not NEED a catch can; the amount of 'blow by' is extremely minimal. This is evident by the fact the level shown on the dipstick right before changing the oil is virtually the same as it was following the previous oil change. Additionally, on a properly maintained vehicle, most, if not all of any blow by will be 'washed' off the backside of the valves and burned off in the cylinders. Lastly, the L99 has been around for while now and, like may of it's predecessors that didn't have catch cans, are reaching and surpassing the 100k mile marker. I have not seen any reports or heard of L99s having a major failure rate. In fact, I've heard and read that they are a very reliable and durable engine. I drive mine extremely hard and have to agree with that assessment. All that being said, will installing one hurt, no.

Now, if you have turbos, supercharger or are otherwise heavily modified, then there is a definite benefit; also, if you have direct injection, one is highly recommended .

Last edited by Welker2; 03-24-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Welker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:58 PM   #11
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
I don't see where it is so vital to a FI engine. If it was why didn't GM install them on all CTS v's, Z06 and ZR1's and ZL1's ? Prolly $20 item in volume for them.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:43 AM   #12
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Stock, non-direct injected, non-modified V8s do not NEED a catch can; the amount of 'blow by' is extremely minimal. This is evident by the fact the level shown on the dipstick right before changing the oil is virtually the same as it was following the previous oil change. Additionally, on a properly maintained vehicle, most, if not all of any blow by will be 'washed' off the backside of the valves and burned off in the cylinders. Lastly, the L99 has been around for while now and, like may of it's predecessors that didn't have catch cans, are reaching and surpassing the 100k mile marker. I have not seen any reports or heard of L99s having a major failure rate. In fact, I've heard and read that they are a very reliable and durable engine. I drive mine extremely hard and have to agree with that assessment. All that being said, will installing one hurt, no.

Now, if you have turbos, supercharger or are otherwise heavily modified, then there is a definite benefit; also, if you have direct injection, one is highly recommended .

hmmm.so im thinking my 6 cylinder that uses no oil between 5k oil changes could do without,especially since the dealer says it will void my 6year/100k warranty.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:33 AM   #13
Chester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueovalman View Post
To each their own I believe any LS3 L99 or any LSX engine for that matter needs a oil catch can. At 155K miles with no catch can your intake manifold is contaminated with oil there are negative effects from running no catch can good luck. I have cleaned my intake manifold and others and it is a oil mess. I highly recommend installing the Elite Engineering catch can as soon as possible. www.eliteengineering.com
When I was doing cooling flush and refill this winter also cleaned the throttle body. After reading earlier about catch cans because oil can build up inside on the top of the motor did a inspection, looked pretty clean to me.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:23 AM   #14
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
hmmm.so im thinking my 6 cylinder that uses no oil between 5k oil changes could do without,especially since the dealer says it will void my 6year/100k warranty.
This is a good point too. While it wouldn't affect the OP with his older car it may very well void the warranty in the event of a failure and its happened on this forum to one guy a couple of years ago.

Of course people say they would just take it off the car but if the motor blows on the side of the road that may not be doable.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote