Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
firedrop

Drives: 2012 2ss/l99 a6, victory red
are speed limits really necessary?

http://www.0-60mag.com/blog/2011/11/...d-limits-rant/

interesting read.. many studies have shown that there are fewer car crashes on the autobahn where motorists frequently go 150+mph.

speed limits create unnecessary traffic and congestion.

CAI, custom catback with flowmaster series 10s
firedrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
firedrop

Drives: 2012 2ss/l99 a6, victory red
between 1995 and 1999, Montana exercised no numerical speed limit on most rural roads, instead requiring drivers to simply use “reasonable and prudent” speed. The accident count and death toll dropped. Come the summer of ’99, the state reimplemented speed limits…and the accident rate began to climb again.

When you’re driving as quickly as you feel comfortable going, your mind is devoting all its attention to the task of piloting the car. When you go slowly, though, the conscious brain grows bored and hands the driving baton off to the older, unconscious part—the reptilian complex, if you will

CAI, custom catback with flowmaster series 10s
firedrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Mick1

Drives: 2013 2SS LS3
I say yes because there are so many bad drivers out there. They would get into accident at low speeds, let alone at high speeds.
Mick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Too big of a money maker, no way this would happen... unfortunately.

I do feel the same way though. How about at least a toll road or something like that.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
TheReaper

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Very few people drive the speed limit on Interstate highways so why have it.
TheReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
Good watch

Old 10-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2021 Mazda MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper View Post
Very few people drive the speed limit on Interstate highways so why have it.
Because the meter maids like to increase their state revenue.

Sent from the road.

2018 1SS 1LE, HyperBlue Metallic (Sold)
2014 1SS 1LE, Black, Twin Turbo (Sold)
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Depends on the situation. On open interstate, the limits could probably be higher. In rural areas with little traffic, I don't see why speed limits are necessary. On an open, almost deserted interstate, say in Nevada, Wyoming, Montana, etc...I don't think it would be particularly unsafe to cruise at 100 or even 120 in a sports car, though I wouldn't do it with an SUV, which for some unknown reason, Americans are obsessed with.

Problem is, unlike Germany, we design everything here for the lowest common denominator. Instead of requiring driver skill and designing a system around it, we do everything necessary so that very poor drivers can still drive. I say raise licensing standards, and raise or in some rural locations eliminate the limits. It would kill two birds with one stone (actually three...eliminating unskilled drivers would probably be the end of Toyota).
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
It's patently obvious that not every area lends itself to an 'autobahn' like situation. That's simply no arguing that since something happens or doesn't happen on the autobahns, thatdoesn't mean that speed limits are not necessary. Come on now, we're adults. There's no speed limit at Monza, either.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Have to keep in mind the "autobahn" only has some stretches of left lane only unlimited speeds. It is not every where. And as I understand it the rules are very strict. Pulling into the left lane and causing an accident is not viewed as an accident. You are violating laws and can do serious jail time. And there may be few accidents but when they have accidents they are usually fatalities.

Yes speeds limits are necessary. We will see how the stretch in Texas works with the 80 mph limit.

There aren't a lot of people I would be willing to ride with at 100 mph plus speeds. That takes more training than the average driver will ever see in the US.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
fielderLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
It's patently obvious that not every area lends itself to an 'autobahn' like situation. That's simply no arguing that since something happens or doesn't happen on the autobahns, thatdoesn't mean that speed limits are not necessary. Come on now, we're adults. There's no speed limit at Monza, either.
That's right, we are adults. Which means that the speed we choose based on the present driving situation we find ourselves in is likely to be a better one than a one-size fits all arbitrary number that was in many cases set in the 1950s.

I'm not saying we should be driving 150 through city centers during rush hour, and I guarantee no one actually would anyway. What we are saying is that doing stupid **it like driving in the wrong lane, swerving, making sudden, unexpected moves for no reason, tailgating, or doing any number of things that aren't driving while driving are what really cause problems and accidents on the roads. Germany can have the autobahn because they have strict, but common sense rules about lane discipline, passing, etc...

Speed is not the problem. It is irresponsible and/or poor driving that is the problem. We would be much safer going 90-100 and paying attention than going 65 while taking on cell phones or eating.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Yes because there are too many irresponsible immature people that think even with speed limits and traffic laws they should be able to drive any way they want which in many situations puts themselves along with anyone else on the road at the same time in danger.
By the reasoning we are all adults and should be able to choose our speed based on our own judgement is ridiculous. Not everyone on the road has or shows good judgement. Just look around, you can't even leave a safe following distance between yourself and the car in front of you without some butthole cutting in between and hitting the brakes so he can make a turn.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
fielderLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
There aren't a lot of people I would be willing to ride with at 100 mph plus speeds. That takes more training than the average driver will ever see in the US.
This is more a problem of how we license drivers, though. Getting a drivers license here doesn't really require being able to drive. And then once you get it, it automatically renews forever, even if you get dementia.

Getting a driver's license should require a far more stringent behind the wheel test. I'd go so far as to suggest it should require a clean and timely run around an autocross course.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #14
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
They should also implement minimum speed limits, I see more BS on our country single lane highways. When grandma is driving 35 in a 55 in her Camry, then everyone else has to drive that slow behind her causing many to lose their patience, pass, and often get in an accident.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote