Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #29
GSUNCSU
Watch This!

Drives: Super Charged 1SS/RS, M6, CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessika@SCC View Post
There is an insane amount of R& D that goes into producing something like a supercharger.
I know that the eaton rotors in the TVS are not cheap... Then factor in the labor hours to machine the pieces & assemble them. I think SLP has it right by offering their new supercharger system at 6750...

The reason the mustang supercharger is cheaper is because it is a front drive. Compare apples to apples and it will work out to be right about the same.
The Knucklehead is right (she knows that's a compliment), I'm a Mfg. Engineer and have been in the Eaton plant that manufactures the rotors, a ton of R&D and specialty equipment (CNC machining centers, programing,etc.), exotic coatings, etc. A very precise piece of equipment, equals expense, I would be willing to bet, that the profit margins of a SC are on par or less than most automotive equipment, of even less complexity.
K&N CAI, Wet Okole Seat Covers, MagnaFlow Street Perf. Ex. (Axle Back), MPD Hood, Gary's Customz ZL1 Fascia/Vented Fenders/Custom Stripes/Paint, AAC Afterburners/Fog Light Halos/Side Markers/Misc LEDs, Bee-Otch Air Freshener, Hurst Shifter and Line-Loc(APEX), RPI Splash Guards, MagnaCharger (Texas-Speed)(Installed by ME), Rx Catch Can and Breather, Billet Pulleys (SC2150), ARH Headers, LPE Twin Fuel Pump, Custom Blower Cam, Custom Tune TBArwhp, TBArwtorq, Boost Gauge and Single Pod (MTI)
GSUNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #30
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSUNCSU View Post
The Knucklehead is right (she knows that's a compliment), I'm a Mfg. Engineer and have been in the Eaton plant that manufactures the rotors, a ton of R&D and specialty equipment (CNC machining centers, programing,etc.), exotic coatings, etc. A very precise piece of equipment, equals expense, I would be willing to bet, that the profit margins of a SC are on par or less than most automotive equipment, of even less complexity.
Compliment taken!

And you are correct....

sent from my Note2 using Tapatalk
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:18 AM   #31
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroman28 View Post
But if you don't void your warranty on the ZL1 your just another slow car at the track. I have raced 2 Stock ZL1's and beat both. Not impressed for the price.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Wd3lkOUE#gid=0
if you don't void your warranty, you still have a great overall car. ok its not a 1/4 mile king. but really what stock car is? a GTR ?
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:21 AM   #32
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
The value is in the desire of the individual that makes the money and spends it the way they desire, for the end result they desire...We had some clown on here under multiple acct's that was trying to tell me that if I could truly afford my car and what I've spent on it, I would have a Ferrarri or Lambo... but here's the truth... I like the Camaro, always have, always will... It's my car, my money, my desires and no one else s...European rattle box's don't do anything for me... They are for white collar guys that hold their pinkies out and wear silly looking hats and gloves while driving... I'm way to working class for that...

And as for the comment about the ZL1, feel free to go and get one... and I'll run you in the arena my car is designed for... Hennessey proved they can go 203... but it took 1.7 miles to accomplish that... I've been faster and did it in about 3/4's of a mile... blew a head gasket and still coasted through the finish line of the mile at 197...

I've sat in a few ZL1's, and they are amazing cars, no doubt... fast in a multitude of arenas... solid... etc.... I would love to have one for a daily driver and may some day... so I can leave my lowly SS for weekend runs...
again i was only trying to make a point, in some different light . and i completely understand your look on the camaro. good to have some different view points ya know
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #33
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
So I guess it's making a bit more sense to me why they cost what they do.

I do feel like $6000-$8000 for FI can put one just that much closer to a ZL1. (Plus other mods that might come along). Yes, a ZL1 might not be the ultimate in what can be attained with mods to an SS but it does give you a really nice starting point from which to yet modify it for more.

So let me take this in a little different direction...

Ignoring labor costs, how far can one *realistically* go with non-FI modifications, keeping the car with reasonable drivability and reliability for a mostly daily driver? What kind of money are we talking here? How much hp can we gain going in this direction?

It does seem like FI would give the best overall drivability vs an extreme cam narrowing the power band, etc.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #34
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
That question is way to broad. You can do a RHS talldeck 500+ cube motor and make 600+rwhp all motor and drive nice, it will cost you ~$35k or so.

You can spend $6500 on a TT kit, make 500-700rwhp on stock heads/cam/block/etc or you can spend $4000-5000 on headers, intake, tb, cam, heads, etc and not drive like stock and make maybe 500rwhp. If drivability is a concern then FI should be your #1 choice.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #35
East Coast Supercharging

Drives: 8 second C5 Drag Car, C6 Road racer
As a Supercharger manufacturer I can assure you that the margins are not as high as many of you may think.

But building supercharger kits sure beats digging ditches!!
East Coast Supercharging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #36
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
As someone who just finished a tvs2300 install and went for their first drive. I can tell you they are worth every penny.
Plastic surgery couldn't take the grin off my face.
And I drive a high 9 second drag car. This is my first foray into FI and there is something crazy about boost. All that power under the peak curve is my guess.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #37
jordan 572

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
i really never seen the value in going down a supercharger route. after everything is installed and tune. and lets be honest who the hell just puts a s/c in there car?. people do other mods as well. exhaust, maybe a PSI gauge, rims and tires maybe. other supporting mods to help longevity. maybe suspension mods etc..all of that with for the most part loss of a warranty.

I feel like if you were to take that money, put it into a Zl1 the payments really wouldn't be much more, or even more at all. you will be getting a better suspension, s/c engine, better rims/tires and a warranty.
What happens if you want more than 580hp? Or a car that can't just be bought off of any dealership. I really wanted a zl1 when they came out just because they had more power, but I have a decent amount more and a better handling car in an ss. I can see your warranty concern but I don't worry about that because all my labor is free.
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #38
Stitch

Drives: SS, CTS & SRT-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Supercharging View Post
As a Supercharger manufacturer I can assure you that the margins are not as high as many of you may think.

But building supercharger kits sure beats digging ditches!!
Have you tried using paper-mache as a building material? Might be able to save some money on the production side...

Old 06-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #39
SoreHead

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible -SLP & Cams
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
..European rattle box's don't do anything for me... .
Rattle boxes?
SoreHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #40
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
They are expensive because the people who buy them are willing to pay a lot for them.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #41
SoreHead

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible -SLP & Cams
I imagine part of the difference in price between Camaro and Mustang S/C would have something to do with volume also. My guess is that there are more customers for Stang chargers??
SoreHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #42
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
There is an insane amount of R& D that goes into producing something like a supercharger.
I know that the eaton rotors in the TVS are not cheap... Then factor in the labor hours to machine the pieces & assemble them. I think SLP has it right by offering their new supercharger system at 6750...

The reason the mustang supercharger is cheaper is because it is a front drive. Compare apples to apples and it will work out to be right about the same.
The Edelbrock and the SLP S/C are front drive S/C. I paid $6200 for my
E-Force S/C. The price is not only the S/C itself. It's all the parts that go with it. Radiator, hoses, water pump, fuel lines, heater hoses, etc.

2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote