Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-23-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
perfxn

Drives: 2SS RS
Why are ford engines cheaper and easier to add HP?

Back befor i got my GT i was looking at a z28 for some reason the deal didnt work out but i talked to mechanic at the time and he was like its easier to add power on your mustang any way? And so far from what ive read on here it sounds the same. Im not gona buy a mustang, i love my 2SS RS and i havnt even met her yet, i just want a better understanding, thats all. thanks
perfxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
You have one opinion there. There are billions more.

There are a lot of different engines so just an open statement like that is silly.

Did he tell you that in 1965 or today?

It's a long story you might want to start reading up. Each engine has specific issues, plus and minus. Has nothing to do with Ford or Chevy or any brand. Every single engine should stand on it's own.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Drives: bagged 4 door dually on 22s
You get what you pay for...
Never2LowChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfxn View Post
Back befor i got my GT i was looking at a z28 for some reason the deal didnt work out but i talked to mechanic at the time and he was like its easier to add power on your mustang any way? And so far from what ive read on here it sounds the same. Im not gona buy a mustang, i love my 2SS RS and i havnt even met her yet, i just want a better understanding, thats all. thanks
I would not agree if he was talking N/A to N/A .. however if he was talking about 03/04 cobra or GT500 then I would agree as you can get more HP Cheaper with those engines than on an N/A motor ..

Crowley
Old 04-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
Isshinryu

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS yellow/black
Quote:
Because there's not a lot of it to begin with?
Isshinryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
I would not agree if he was talking N/A to N/A .. however if he was talking about 03/04 cobra or GT500 then I would agree as you can get more HP Cheaper with those engines than on an N/A motor ..

Crowley
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
perfxn

first of all i didnt say it was my opinion and this isnt a statement its a question.

I was thinking mayeb its the way the engine is made or something? some way said something about modular, i have no idea what that means..?
Old 04-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #8
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
first of all i didnt say it was my opinion and this isnt a statement its a question.

I was thinking mayeb its the way the engine is made or something? some way said something about modular, i have no idea what that means..?
I think he is flat out incorrect. Read post #4 he gave you a great answer. Aslo keep in mind it depends on what type of mustang. If it is a stang that came with a blower from the factory then he is correct (i.e. 03 SVT cobra and GT-500) if not (I.E. All other mustangs) then he if flat out wrong. N.A. to N.A. the camro makes waaaaay more horspower than the mustang and more potiental too. Hell I have seen 4th gen Camaros makeing well over 500hp with a heads and cam swap.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
Tal

Drives: Old
Your mechanic meant he was more familiar with Ford engines. The costs of parts do vary but generally they both make engines that end up being relatively affordable to modify unlike many imports.

Some Mustang engines are easier to add power to because they come with a supercharger already and you can adjust them for more boost without a ton of work, but not a Mustang GT. If you are going for crazy high horsepower a heavier iron block like Ford uses is sturdy but that matters for maybe 1 in 10,000 cars and you can get more horsepower than you can really use on the street from the LS block, I'm not even sure how much of an issue this is since I don't pay close attention to the hardcore dragster builds.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #10
perfxn

ok i see thanks, any one know what modular means as far as engines go?
Old 04-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
I think he is flat out incorrect. Read post #4 he gave you a great answer. Aslo keep in mind it depends on what type of mustang. If it is a stang that came with a blower from the factory then he is correct (i.e. 03 SVT cobra and GT-500) if not (I.E. All other mustangs) then he if flat out wrong. N.A. to N.A. the camro makes waaaaay more horspower than the mustang and more potiental too. Hell I have seen 4th gen Camaros makeing well over 500hp with a heads and cam swap.
its not only that it comes with a blower from factory, but a built engine. thats the key. i sound like a broken record but the built engine is what allows for the massive HP in those engines, not the blower. you can put a twin screw on a GT and the stock block is good to about 550 crank. on the built engines its 800+ crank.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
ok i see thanks, any one know what modular means as far as engines go?
The ford mod engines refers to the modular plant layout. Tooling can be quickly swapped to build different engines of the same family. It does not refer to the interchangeability of parts between the engines.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:44 AM   #13
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
For an SN95 era mod motor? No. Just hands down no.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:49 AM   #14
Rock

Drives: 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
its not only that it comes with a blower from factory, but a built engine. thats the key. i sound like a broken record but the built engine is what allows for the massive HP in those engines, not the blower. you can put a twin screw on a GT and the stock block is good to about 550 crank. on the built engines its 800+ crank.
+1
Those engines were designed for boost, and power is far easier to acquire out of a boosted application than it is out of a N/A application not counting giggle gas, and is cheaper as well. I also think they have an advantage boost to boost as well considering the 4.6 is a 32V DOHC.
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote