Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #29
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
To each his or her own.

For me the ZL1 Convertible is essentially about, from time to time, being able to recapture some the carefree fun of younger days when one could walk into practically any dealership of one's choice and order a convertible version of just about any high performance model one desired, such as an L78 Camaro Convertible, an LS6 Chevelle Convertible, a ZL1 Corvette Convertible, an SS427 Impala Convertible, a GTO Convertible, a 4-4-2 Convertible, or a Hemi 'Cuda or Challenger Convertible.

I really do enjoy hearing, from the driver's seat, the sound of a high performance V8 engine of a beautifully styled convertible with the top down and the wind in my hair and a smile on my face, as I'm accelerating out of a curve on a winding road near the Pacific Ocean as the waves glisten from the rays of the afternoon sun.

--
Attached Images

Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #30
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdari View Post
if i was that stoked about a car, I would at least take a photo. sounded as if he was saying the vert performs better than the coupe....highly doubt that.
I never said the drop top performs better. I am saying driving the car is, to me, more rewarding. And when the convertible version of a car loses virtually nothing in performance then it's all gain. Sorry, but I loved the car. I liked and respected the ZL1 coupe but as James May says, it didn't leave me feeling fizzy. Up till now I called a tie between the GT500 and ZL1. This experience gives the clear win, again in my opinion, to the ZL1. The cabriolet is simply brilliant and involving. GM fans should rejoice. And mags should test the convertible.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #31
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
spikeIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrcr3 View Post
Convertibles are for girls!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Why because they drive around with their (Tops) down.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #32
den318

Drives: looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
I never said the drop top performs better. I am saying driving the car is, to me, more rewarding. And when the convertible version of a car loses virtually nothing in performance then it's all gain. Sorry, but I loved the car. I liked and respected the ZL1 coupe but as James May says, it didn't leave me feeling fizzy. Up till now I called a tie between the GT500 and ZL1. This experience gives the clear win, again in my opinion, to the ZL1. The cabriolet is simply brilliant and involving. GM fans should rejoice. And mags should test the convertible.

According to Car and Driver, the ZL1 convertible is 12.7 @ 113mph, that is losing nothing? It's almost 200lbs heavier and half a second slower. The ZL1 coupe is not that fast to start. But then again, it's the driving experience that matters more rite?
den318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #33
Snakedriver

Drives: ZL1
Convertibles are usually always heavier than there coupe counterparts. If you want to track a ZL1 get the coupe. If you want the best looking ZL1 and be able to drop the top get the vert. This is the most powerful convertible GM has ever built and they did a Great job on it.
Snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #34
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by den318 View Post
According to Car and Driver, the ZL1 convertible is 12.7 @ 113mph, that is losing nothing? It's almost 200lbs heavier and half a second slower. The ZL1 coupe is not that fast to start. But then again, it's the driving experience that matters more rite?
I wouldn't buy either Camaro for a stoplight grandprix or dragstrip. On a switchback or a track day (where allowed) the convertible is the more enjoyable driving experience. The coupe frankly is less fun albeit more capable than my Boss.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Old 08-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #35
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Given my wants and needs (performance, kids, road trips, track days and pure driving pleasure) if I was solely in the market for a domestic it would be difficult to beat the package offered by the ZL1 convertible.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #36
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Convertibles are usually always heavier than there coupe counterparts. If you want to track a ZL1 get the coupe. If you want the best looking ZL1 and be able to drop the top get the vert. This is the most powerful convertible GM has ever built and they did a Great job on it.
Agree. And disagree. The ragtop options of the 911, M3, Shelby are less engaging versions of their coupe counterparts. The ZL1 as heavy ad it is is transformed by the MR suspension. So too is the 'vert.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #37
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

You guys crack me up. Numbers are all that matter. Then it's which is the better drive. You change your minds as often as needed to defend your stance. Look, like what you like. I love my Boss even though there are a handful of equal or better options now then there was 22 months ago when I placed my order. I still like it, no need to defend it.

The ZL1 convertible is IMHO a truly great car. I shared this opinion because this is a Canaro site and I figured some here might still be considering a purchase. Whether you agree or not is up to the individual and where they want to put there money. My wife and I had decided on a ZL1 as a second (well, fifth) car. Maybe now we'll get the convertible. Maybe by the time we finish shopping we'll get something else. It's all good.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #38
AZ-ZL1
Dry Heat My @ss

Drives: 2012 ZL1 SUMMIT WHITE
Fender,

you're so damn excited about your car...makes me want to pull mine out of the garage right now and go for a drive.

Congrats.

Your choice is the right choice and it is nice to see a stang owner so pleased.
AZ-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #39
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-ZL1 View Post
Fender,

you're so damn excited about your car...makes me want to pull mine out of the garage right now and go for a drive.

Congrats.

Your choice is the right choice and it is nice to see a stang owner so pleased.
AZ-ZL1, you are indeed lucky. A truly great car and you live, I believe, in the perfect place to enjoy it all year round.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #40
BigDogZL1

Drives: ZL1
yes i agree, verts are for chick's and old men with receding hair lines.
BigDogZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #41
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.97 g

Curb weight: 4373 lb

Just sayin' . . .

Norm
2010 Camaro SS .92g on the skidpad.. just sayin...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #42
Miraclewhip

Drives: 2012 BLK / IO / 2SS / RS / Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrcr3 View Post
Convertibles are for girls!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
[QUOTE=yes i agree, verts are for chick's and old men with receding hair lines.[/QUOTE]

Just not the case, im no girl. I have more hair on my head than you two combined. Must be a california thing. Coupes are for guys who dont want to be seen from the top half up? or maybe cant envision themselves enjoying the sunshine...probably because of their "regional disadvantages" nobody ever says im down here in sunny michigan.....
Miraclewhip is offline   Reply With Quote