Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 03-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Drives: '87 5.7L Iroc-Z
Interested in getting a 3rd gen...

So recently I've decided I again want to attempt to get a camaro. The 3rd gen interests me the most; However, I prefer the 3rd gen that doesn't have the, I'm not sure what the correct term for it is, but it's the lip spoiler...
I much prefer no spoiler, or the actual bolt on spoiler that it had in 91 & 92 (I believe those are the correct years) - correct me if I'm wrong.
I googled 91 and 92 RS camaros, and they appear to have the lip spoiler, so I'm assuming the basic v6 camaros have the bolt on?...
if anyone can elaborate this for me so I don't continue babbling on about this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Anyway, I'm highly interested in attaining a 3rd gen (again preferrably 91 or 92) - I'm not sure if the 90 had the upgraded interior or not...? preferrably white in color, V6 (for a daily). also, one that runs, and doesn't have a bajillion miles on it. - if anyone knows of one thats at a decent price, I'm currently saving my money.

I used to know this stuff but I forgot...and forgot where I got the information from lol. - or if theres anyone out there that could discuss this in PM's with me thats pretty knowledgable about the later 3rd gens I'd appreciate it.

also I was wondering what the reliability is on T-tops of the 3rd gen, i love t-tops but know they are kind've a b**** to maintain/keep from leaking. IMO well worth it tho.

Any comments / suggestions are welcome. I would like any and all standard information or behind the curtain information as I can get.

thanks!

"Camaro Z/28 is back. Gentlemen, Don't even bother to start your engines."
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
This spoiler?

- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

yep. that'd be the one.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
91vortecSS

Drives: 91 RS , 70 Z28
The high rise wing pictured above was only a 91 and 92 Z-28 option , all of the others got the low " lip " spoiler. Both bolt on and both can be removed and the holes filled in . I had a 92 that we took the wing off of and filled the holes the deck lid.... it made the car look really good IMHO !
Trying to find a low mile V6 thats 18 years old is going to be a problem . You may want to look for a 25th aniv. (92) RS or Z with a V8 that someone has not put many miles on and put up for an investment. You are going to pay a little more for it up front but you'll be money ahead in the long run.
On the T-Tops , you can get new seals for them if they leak in 91 some of the cars got lexan t-tops , they were lighter and wouldn't break if you dropped one but they had problems with them peeling or delaminating. There was a silent recall on them and they were relaced with glass ones for a limited time. This problem did not effect the performance of the T-Tops just appearance . I have seen people have the lexan ones painted black or body color and it was OK to look at just different.
91vortecSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

so the lip spoiler is bolt on too? for all 3rd gen years?...or just the 91 & 92?

Old 03-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

it doesnt need to be "low mile", but i'd prefer it not to have an obnoxious amount of miles on it.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

was there cruise control on the 90 91 or 92?...

Old 03-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
they also look pretty nice w/o a spoiler. mine doesnt hav one, and it looks pretty good. but mine is also an 86 berlinetta, and i kno tht they changed the rear slightly to accomodate the HMRL after the 86 model yr.
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
91vortecSS

Drives: 91 RS , 70 Z28
yes they are all bolt on for all years 82-92 if you buy a 91 or 92 Z-28 and want a short spoiler , all you have to do is drill a few holes in the rear fenders and bolt it on . If you buy a RS and want the Z-28 wing you have to fill the extra holes in the fenders and drill a couple of extra holes in the deck , and yes they have Cruise Control on 91 and 92 .

There is also another rear spoiler floating around on 88's ( I think ) they ran out of the regular short spoilers and started putting a shorter version of the 91-92 Z28 wing . I think it was only on 88's and maybe a few 89's

I see your from Ca. so you can prob. find a car thats not rusted away , I'm in the snow belt so seeing nice 3rd gens is rare, thats why I miss mine so much. Good luck with your L.E. career , I've got 14 years in.
91vortecSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #10
mikes7960

Drives: 1990 iroc camaro, 2010 camaro
Mac, you interested in a 1985 silver iroc with 62k in mint condition? If so call me at 608-290-3707. Mike
mikes7960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #11
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
cruise control was an option for almost all years of the 3rd gen Camaros.

if YOu want a 350 (the big motor) then you would want a 87-92 with the Vin code 8. or risk something someones messed with or trying to pass as a 350 when its really a 305.

I have a 87 Iroc with the 350 & have had several 3rd gens over the year, I HATE the high rise spoiler & think it makes the car look like a childs toy.

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:16 AM   #12
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

actually I'm going for a daily driver - just a v6. plus I wanna have enough money to spruce it up a bit.

how hard would it be to hammer out the dent on the driver side door?...he said it just has some paint chipped but no rust.

this is the camaro I'm gonna test drive tomarrow:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/1058541487.html

I know, new tranny...but it's only 60k miles!...
and the price was lowered to 1100...he said hes the second owner, and doesnt know why the tranny was replaced. (i assume someone was just a little too hard on the first one)
which is about how much i paid my mom for my current car that has a replaced tranny...I'm just hoping it works just as well as my current one is (at the moment). (if not better)
I'm sick of my ford taurus despite its almost immaculate exterior (god damn it doesnt look a day old after I wash it lol)

only bad side - I just got new tires for my current car. ugh.

I'm really hoping it's as good as it sounds...+ i've never seen a camaro that color...was that an original color?...(light blue) - ill prolly end up painting it white...

btw thx for all the information about the spoiler...I'm gonna get the z-28 kind most likely asap...unless I prefer it without a spoiler entirely.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #13
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
I 3rd gens...

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #14
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91vortecSS View Post
There is also another rear spoiler floating around on 88's ( I think ) they ran out of the regular short spoilers and started putting a shorter version of the 91-92 Z28 wing . I think it was only on 88's and maybe a few 89's
it was 88 only model year all NON IROC coupes and convertibles had a unique rear wing, and the rocker panels and rear bumper cover were also unique to the 88. instead of a and the words RS or IROC it said CAMARO. I know i had a 88 coupe with the TBI 305. the previous owner painted over the badges on the rocker extensions on the side. I ended up damaging them trying to get the paint off. i went to my local Chevy dealer to order them and they said the badges and the panels they fit into were 88 MO only. If i would have kept the car (it was totaled just after i sold it) i would have replaced that stupid narrow rear wing for a 91/92 Z28 wing.