Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 09-24-2009, 02:05 AM   #1
thebrainhart

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM LS3 A6
DRL (Now fog lights too) always on

Here is my RS package DIY to not only make the DRLs work as DRLs, but to come on with the park lights too.

I have shrunk the pictures, if you want the original large ones, let me know.

It does require stripping and splicing wires to the factory wiring harness in the front bumper.

This is my idea, and it may or may not be perfect, if you see improvment areas, be my guest. I've run with this for 3 days now, with no problems.
Yet, as always, perform and use at your own risk.
The way I wired it, you can easily disconnect the whole harness if something happens, without ruining the main vehicle harness.

Parts required:
Two (2) 12volt Zener Diode (I got from radio shack for $1.50) (Pic 1)
Solder
Electrical Tape

1. Either remove the front bumper (there are other threads with instructions),
or drive the front wheels onto ramps (Some people remove the right wheel too),
and partially remove and gain access through the right wheel well liner to the area behind the front bumper.
2. Locate the wiring harness connector you had to disconnect to remove the bumper, above the right DRL. (Pic 2)
3. Pull the connector out of its tab, and pull it enough out of the bumper to work with. Unwrap the electrical tape. (Pic 3)
4. Cut slits and then strip the outer wire coating, being carefull not to cut the actual wire.
Do this to the purple, brown, light blue, and dark blue wires. I made my first slits all in a row. (Pic 3)
5. Then strip towards the bumper on the purple and brown wires, enough to solder one end of the diode in. Then strip towards you, on the two blue wires.
6. Using the beautiful wiring diagram I scribbled in the field, (Pic 4), install the diodes in place.
The direction of the diode is critical. If you notice, on one end of the diode, there is a black bar.
As in the wiring diagram, in the right upper corner, power flows from blank to bar. It does not flow the other way.
7. Connect and wrap the blank end of the diode around the purple wire, pointing towards you (Pic 5)
8. Solder the diode into place (Pic 6)
9. Wrap the soldered end with electrical tape, ensuring all exposed wire and diode is wrapped. (Pic 7)
10. Connect and wrap the other end of the diode around the exposed light blue wire. (Pic 7)
11. Solder diode on (Pic 8) and tape it up too (Pic 9)
12. Now straighten the two wires and your new diode out, and tape it together (Pic 10)
13. Now do the same thing to the brown and dark blue wires.
Ensuring the blank diode end is on the brown wire(Pics 11-15)
14. Now tape all wires up together, just as it was from the factory (Pic 16)
15. Now place the connector and wiring harness back in place, it their tabs, just as it was from the factory. (Pic 17)
16. Now reinstall the bumper

And walla!! If done correctly, your driving lights will come on as they normally did, and when you turn your park lights, headlights, or even high beams on, your new fog lights will also turn on!
Attached Images

Some ProCharger, Alky, CompCams, Brian Tooley, Holley, Livernois, K&N, Ridetech, DSS, Kooks, JDP Motorsports, Pfadt, BMR, Prothane, Weld, M&H, Mickey Thompson, RKSport, Elite, Garys, Defenderworx, Anvil, etc.

Last edited by thebrainhart; 12-23-2009 at 12:44 AM.
thebrainhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:07 AM   #2
thebrainhart

Here is the finished project of this DIY, I am still in the process and design of the rest of it.....
Attached Images

Some ProCharger, Alky, CompCams, Brian Tooley, Holley, Livernois, K&N, Ridetech, DSS, Kooks, JDP Motorsports, Pfadt, BMR, Prothane, Weld, M&H, Mickey Thompson, RKSport, Elite, Garys, Defenderworx, Anvil, etc.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:54 AM   #3
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
very detailed writeup! thank you for the pics, i will be doing this mod for sure
Old 09-24-2009, 03:00 AM   #4
Justcallme61

Drives: 2000 honda accord v6
Very nice. Did you blur out your fingerprints? lol
Justcallme61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
JohnForeman

Drives: 2010 2SSRS
ok. if i'm reading this correctly, the fogs now come on when you turn your park lights (halos) on? I would prefer that my halos come on with my DRL's since they come on all the time. So my basic electrical knowledge is telling me that if I reverse the diodes, I will get what I want.. correct?
-John
JohnForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Hmmm...will that work? Don't the DRLs go off when the halos are on?
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
JohnForeman

Drives: 2010 2SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Hmmm...will that work? Don't the DRLs go off when the halos are on?
Yes, but if the DRLs are on, by reversing the diodes, they should power the halos. At least that's what I'm thinking. Now that may feed power to the rest of the parking light circuit so it may require some additional mods. I guess what I'm looking for is I want my halos to come on in place of my fogs since they come on all the time.
just thinking out loud..
-John
JohnForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
thebrainhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justcallme61 View Post
Very nice. Did you blur out your fingerprints? lol
Yes, I did, with my dirty fingers, you could see the fingerprint perfectly, so I thought about it, and blotted them out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnForeman View Post
ok. if i'm reading this correctly, the fogs now come on when you turn your park lights (halos) on? I would prefer that my halos come on with my DRL's since they come on all the time. So my basic electrical knowledge is telling me that if I reverse the diodes, I will get what I want.. correct?
-John
If you reverse the diode, then it will only power the front side marker lights with the DRLs.

In order to halo only on with the DRL, you'll need to do some splicing and diode in to the main wiring harness, just out of the main power module. I dont know any wiring diagrams for it, so I dont know which wires that would be.

Although, there are halo fuses...... you could probably run a wire from a DRL into the fuses, then in theory it would power the halo when the DRLs are on..... Dont know for sure, havent messed with that......
Old 09-24-2009, 01:38 PM   #9
qbert48

Drives: 2SS SIM
sweet

welcome home
1100 4-27-09
6000 6-27-09

yes i got to the dance late don't hate me
qbert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #10
teapot

Drives: 2010 2SS RS CGM MN6 GFX
Nice DIY writeup. I'm gonna try it this weekend!

teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:20 PM   #11
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Excellent .
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #12
DMAX

Drives: 01 silverado 2010 2SS/RS Sim
Nice job that will be my next mod , Thanks for the info
DMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:06 AM   #13
thebrainhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrainhart View Post

Although, there are halo fuses...... you could probably run a wire from a DRL into the fuses, then in theory it would power the halo when the DRLs are on..... Dont know for sure, havent messed with that......
I was wrong, looked into it today, and there are not halo fuses. You'd have to find the wires to the halo.
The good thing, you can connect the DRL wires to the halo wires without any diodes, and each will power the other on.
Halo's on with DRL, DRL on with halo's (and therefore park lights, headlights)
Old 09-30-2009, 01:42 AM   #14
BumbleDs

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS TF Edition
Quick question can you tell me how to run a hot switch to manually actuate the foglamps? If you can thank you!

Love it or hate it, my car can transform and kick your cars @$$!
BumbleDs is offline   Reply With Quote