Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #15
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
There will always be, and peoples will always find another way to make more power regardless of not being able to put an actual header. The biggest restriction for us current LLT is tuning.
2012 LFX will not be short in this department with the new delphi ECU and E85 capability. Plus our only current tuner and other companies are already working on a tune for this new LFX.
There will be alot of possibility with this new e85 fuel flex LFX. Especially when someone throw boost to it.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #16
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Question:

This article implies that the car will get 30MPG. I thought that the 2LS got 30MPG because of the different axle ratio, not a different engine. If that's the case, then wouldn't this new design get even better MPG?
Old 05-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
Question:

This article implies that the car will get 30MPG. I thought that the 2LS got 30MPG because of the different axle ratio, not a different engine. If that's the case, then wouldn't this new design get even better MPG?
It might, but it could also be that if the 2011 2LS technically were rated at (I'm just making these numbers up) 29.7 mpg and this gets 30.3, they would both be rounded to 30 mpg even though the new engine is a bit more efficient.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #18
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
These heads are screaming for a turbo to be mounted right there...
Most definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBuzzy11 View Post
unreal how far the V6 has come.. The V8's always had the power but I never thought we would see the V6 at this point, im guessing within 10 years we may see around 375hp from the V6!!!
Have you not seen the all aluminum Ford Ecoboost 3.5L Twin-Turbo V6? 365hp/420tq. A F150 4x2 in perfect conditions with the ecoboost can easily flirt with 30mpg. Makes ya wonder what that could do in the Camaro.

Last edited by NavyDood; 05-16-2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Cuz I can
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #19
rikelme90

Drives: 2010 black 1lt rs camaro
Send a message via AIM to rikelme90
im pretty sure the after market folks will find a way to get more power out of this. it''ll just take time.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #20
DarkObsession

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS2/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
They won't be maxed out on a car that sells for under $25,000. They did it to save weight and save cost, not improve performance.
I never implied that they would be. I just said that V6 people better hope that it is. I know it obviously won't be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
323 HP from the factory sounds like a nice amount.
It would be if the car didn't weigh 3700+ lbs (which is what the current V6 weighs, give or take). 323 hauling that much weight around is not going to be a quick car :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
There will always be, and peoples will always find another way to make more power regardless of not being able to put an actual header. The biggest restriction for us current LLT is tuning.
2012 LFX will not be short in this department with the new delphi ECU and E85 capability. Plus our only current tuner and other companies are already working on a tune for this new LFX.
There will be alot of possibility with this new e85 fuel flex LFX. Especially when someone throw boost to it.
Yeah, there will be A LOT of boost potential for people who run e85. Should be interesting to see what people end up with when they go FI on the new FlexFuel V6. If the internals are sturdy enough, you should be able to run a lot of boost on that engine without knocking
Old 05-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #21
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Thumbs down How about increased HEAT RETAINED IN HEAD OR WARPING?

I am sure they've tested and tested and tested.......... But I can't help but feel that the head is being asked to do more within a smaller space resulting in quicker fatique and thus........... UH OH!!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #22
Thorlius

Drives: '08 Corvette 2LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
Most definitely.

Have you not seen the all aluminum Ford Ecoboost 3.5L V6? 365hp/420tq. A F150 4x2 in perfect conditions with the ecoboost can easily flirt with 30mpg. Makes ya wonder what that could do in the Camaro.
V6 EcoBoost = twin-turbos.

Twin-turbos on the Camaro V6 - if it could handle it without needing a reworking - should be able to put out better numbers than the LS3. But it would cost considerably more to produce, too.
Thorlius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #23
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
welcome to 2003... Honda has done this with great success... now if only Honda can make a dohc DI v6 like GM/Ford/Chrysler..
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #24
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorlius View Post

Twin-turbos on the Camaro V6 - if it could handle it without needing a reworking - should be able to put out better numbers than the LS3. But it would cost considerably more to produce, too.
Oops, forgot to say Twins. Updated my orig post.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #25
brAnd7onX

Drives: 2012 1SS IOM
Makes me even more excited to get a 2012 along with the power-passenger seat
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #26
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorlius View Post

It would definitely need to be reworked. And GM would need to give it a lot of boost. A big reason for why OEMs go with those turbo 6's is fuel economy. Cranking up the boost hurts fuel economy in gas engines. So while building a 430 hp TTV6 is possible, it isn't going to save you much gas over an LS3. Or weight. Or money (well, it definitely won't save you money).

And keep in mind that if a gen IV port injected 6.2L LS3 makes 426-436 hp ... imagine what a gen V direct injected 6.2L V8 would make (I'm thinking of a number, and it starts with 5 ... ). Little chance a turbocharged V6 could make that power and get the same efficiency. One or the other, just not both.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #27
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
I dont know about anyone else, but I'm interested in the composit intake manifold and new fuel rails.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #28
JBuzzy11

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
Most definitely.

Have you not seen the all aluminum Ford Ecoboost 3.5L Twin-Turbo V6? 365hp/420tq. A F150 4x2 in perfect conditions with the ecoboost can easily flirt with 30mpg. Makes ya wonder what that could do in the Camaro.
Im talking about 375 hp without turbos... It right around the corner.

Injen CAI, JBA headers, MRT V1.0 exhaust, Trifecta tune.
JBuzzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote