Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 03-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #15
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Ok, finally got to look at the car. With the car on ramps I followed the procedure to set the sway bar to full soft. Put the Super Car Coilovers on 16/16 as per Pete. Will start the next event with the tires at 40 psi and see how that goes. Unfortunately that's not till the 6th-7th of April. I appreciate everyone's feedback. Thx.

BTW the ride height in the front was 25 15/16 drivers side and 25 7/8 passenger side with the weight on the wheels and the sway bar disconnected. After setting the endlinks and sway to full soft I was at 25 3/4 on both sides. We'll see if it settles once I drive it tomorrow.
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #16
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Air up to 38lbs for them crap tires...my set did the same thing. The comp2 are "ok" tire my set lasted 8 events good if you want them to last but if you want good times get some NTO 5s...
Old 03-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #17
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #18
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Comp2's are horrible for any type of competitive driving...lose them and get some NT-05's, problem solved...
Old 03-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #19
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
That didn't take long...
Old 03-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #20
mp51998

Yeah, I'm learning they weren't a good choice. Gotta burn them off completely so I can justify buying another set of tires so quickly. Sad thing is they worked great the first couple events. Oh well, when these are gone I'll get a square setup. Till then I gotta make the best out of what I have.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #21
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp51998 View Post
Yeah, I'm learning they weren't a good choice. Gotta burn them off completely so I can justify buying another set of tires so quickly. Sad thing is they worked great the first couple events. Oh well, when these are gone I'll get a square setup. Till then I gotta make the best out of what I have.
Keep the air pressure up in them, they start to feather on the edges and then get kind of rough riding....
Old 03-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #22
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy SATX View Post

We had much better results following this advice given by many people.
Good to hear! Have any pics from the event?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp51998 View Post
Ok, finally got to look at the car. With the car on ramps I followed the procedure to set the sway bar to full soft. Put the Super Car Coilovers on 16/16 as per Pete. Will start the next event with the tires at 40 psi and see how that goes. Unfortunately that's not till the 6th-7th of April. I appreciate everyone's feedback. Thx.

BTW the ride height in the front was 25 15/16 drivers side and 25 7/8 passenger side with the weight on the wheels and the sway bar disconnected. After setting the endlinks and sway to full soft I was at 25 3/4 on both sides. We'll see if it settles once I drive it tomorrow.
Nice! Let us know how it goes!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #23
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Like what's been said, run just the front tire pressures up - I think you want to limit the scuffing to being mostly above those little nubs. Leave rear tire pressure lower, as that'll make the rear tires run at a little more slip angle (also reducing understeer a smidge) and provide more mechanical grip which is a little cushion against power-induced oversteer on corner exit. Eventually, more aggressive camber settings.

I suspect you might be braking too late and be still on the brakes too hard too deep into the corners. That's what the wear pattern on those outboard tread blocks is telling me, and it's consistent with the heavy understeer that you noticed. It's easy to get conned into doing this by the sound of a big V8 working up through its powerband. Try to get nearly all of your braking done before you start your steering. I think you'll find that the understeer isn't nearly as bad once the tires aren't trying to do hard braking and hard cornering simultaneously.

On that last point, I had the 1st gen g-Force Sports on a car that I used to autocross, and found them to be decent at doing either cornering or accelerating/braking separately, but they didn't like being asked to do both together nearly as well.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #24
mp51998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Like what's been said, run just the front tire pressures up - I think you want to limit the scuffing to being mostly above those little nubs. Leave rear tire pressure lower, as that'll make the rear tires run at a little more slip angle (also reducing understeer a smidge) and provide more mechanical grip which is a little cushion against power-induced oversteer on corner exit. Eventually, more aggressive camber settings.

I suspect you might be braking too late and be still on the brakes too hard too deep into the corners. That's what the wear pattern on those outboard tread blocks is telling me, and it's consistent with the heavy understeer that you noticed. It's easy to get conned into doing this by the sound of a big V8 working up through its powerband. Try to get nearly all of your braking done before you start your steering. I think you'll find that the understeer isn't nearly as bad once the tires aren't trying to do hard braking and hard cornering simultaneously.

On that last point, I had the 1st gen g-Force Sports on a car that I used to autocross, and found them to be decent at doing either cornering or accelerating/braking separately, but they didn't like being asked to do both together nearly as well.

Norm
Thanks Norm. I will try to put this into practice. I have been doing this for only a year, once a month when my work schedule doesn't conflict. I'll be the first to admit that I have a lot to learn. I appreciate all the experienced hands chiming in. I am also lucky that we have two or three thirty year SCCA members in our group who will give advice or do ride alongs if asked. I try to utilize all these tools to get better.