Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-07-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
drookster

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Key FOBs work intermittently

Ok, this is gonna drive me insane...my key fobs for my 2010 SS have been working intermittently for 6 months and they finally stopped working all together about a month ago. (nothing worked, locks, trunk or auto-start) So, with it still being under warranty, I took it to the dealer. They had it for a day and called to tell me the micro switch on the ignition key hole needed lubricating and that they were working fine now. Awesome! brought it home...went to lock it. Nothing. Took it back the next day and they changed the body control module on it. Fixed. Brought it home...went to lock it. Nothing. Took it back again...and when I went to demonstrate for the techs, they all of a sudden decided to work. Its not my everyday car and I told them to keep it for as many days as they need because the issue is still intermittent. They called me back and said they changed the module out AGAIN and everything was working fine. Do I really need to repeat what I've been telling you so far??? This time the dealer got GM techs involved and they have no solution either. However, they are now saying that my window tint is causing the problem because it probably has metallic properties that are causing interference with the remotes. I'm sorry, but I have had that tint for 3 years now and never had a problem with my remotes until just recently. The dealer has done all they can do and I now have to go direct to GM to try and get the problem resolved.
drookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Did they change the batteries?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
I know you've been messing with this for a while now. Have they tried changing the FOBs or just the BCM?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
drookster

You seriously didn't ask me if I checked/changed the batteries?

@Deke736, As a matter of fact, they went through 2 BCM modules.

However, someone did recommend disconnecting the car battery over night. You'd think the dealer and GM would have tried that one. I'm gonna give it a try and see what happens. What have I got to loose?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:11 PM   #5
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Key FOBs work intermittently

I caught that you went through 2 BCM's, just didn't know if they ever tried new FOBs.

I only ask because my dad had a similar issue with his 07 Vette which is push start but the FOBs kept losing their programming. They ended up replacing the BCM and the FOBs and he hasn't had the problem since.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:51 AM   #6
drookster

Sorry Deke, you had a 2 part question there. I did ask about replacing the FOB's all together, in conjunction with the BCM, but never got a straight answer. I think that may be GM playing puppet master on the dealer. My dealer has been great...they are definitely frustrated and as confused as I am, but hopefully when I speak with GM we'll get somewhere. I mean, really, my tinted windows? I realize they do have metallic components in their make up, but it should have been doing this once I had them installed...doesn't make much sense. So, I have 2 things now...disconnect the battery for a period of time, then ask for replacement FOB's. Wish me luck. Lol.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:39 AM   #7
Rizzo

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL-1 SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drookster View Post
Ok, this is gonna drive me insane...
Do you happen to have a Scosche kit installed?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246752
Old 03-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #8
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

I'm surprised they didn't try different FOBs. I would think 2 $50 FOBs would be easier and less expensive to try than replacing the BCM multiple times. I hope you figure it out soon Steve.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #9
2012LS3VERT

Drives: 2012 2SSRS Vert, Black w/M6
There is another module called the RKE module (remote keyless entry module). It contains the antenna, and feeds to the BCM. It probably went bad.
2012LS3VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
drookster

Bingo. You may have something there 2012LS3VERT. How do you know about the RKE module? I'll check into that...

Back to Deke, I thought the same thing at first, get new FOBS. But if they were bad, what are the chances they both - at the same time - work and/or not work? That tells me it's something in the car. If the fobs worked intermittently at different times, then I would have the FOBS replaced.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #11
2012LS3VERT

They changed my RKE module when I was having problems with my TPS sensors. They initially blamed it on my DRL harness, then my LED bulbs, then my window tint. The TPMS uses the same antenna as the keyless. Now it seems as if my keyless entry works better also.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #12
drookster

Holy crap...I was having TPS issues too!!! I took it in, not only for the FOBS, but the tire pressure indicator kept showing up on the display. They supposedly fixed that too, but I noticed it is still coming up. Wow, I'm calling dealer first thing in the morning. Thanks 2012LS3VERT
Old 03-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #13
2012LS3VERT

No problem.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #14
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
I have the same issue with my 2012 in certain places, RF interference from Wi-Fi devices appear to be the issue.

in my driveway my FOBs simply do not work unless I am right next to the vehicle.. I disconnected the Wi-Fi devices in my house 1 by 1 until I found the one interfering.

depending on where I park at work I experience the same issue, if I park by the front doors my FOB works from my desk, about 100 yards away, if I park by the side or back door (which is by my department) no dice, simply can't get the signal.

seen the same thing in parking garages, and various business.. Wi-Fi Cameras, access points, RF UPC guns, etc.. All interfere with key FOBs some makes and models are more sensitive than others..

FYI some models of radar detectors interfere as well, since the remote start module is mounted by the rear view mirror, I had this problem in my Avalanche and my Chrysler 300c, both with remote start (module in same place on both), my radar detector and my dash camera caused issues, don't have either in the Camaro so don't know if they interfere.