Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #99
bcperry
Engineer in Training

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack4 View Post
I really appreciate your 2 cents. I think I can live without all the leather and other nice options. My dad's Cobalt has I think around 250 HP, and that thing is fast! When in college, I figure I'll be using about a gallon of gas a day if I only go there once a day. In the Cruze, it would be cheaper, but like what, $6 a week? I am getting a job over the summer (my parents don't want me to work during the school year) and that money will be mostly spent on gas. If I test drive the Camaro, and I feel that I couldn't handle all that power, I doubt I'll get it.
I have to say, you seem to be a very responsible person just by coming here and getting opinions, but I must caution you to be honest with yourself in regards to not being able to handle the power.

There are still days that the rear end gets away from me, and I've been driving that car for two years now, I have no idea how these SS guys do it.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #100
bcperry
Engineer in Training

I'll throw this in here just as a suggestion for whichever option you choose. Please, please, please take it to the drag strip. If you have to race, and you will, take it to somewhere that it is legal. Test and tune nights are cheap, it's a blast, and you aren't endangering others. The strip has been a great outlet for me when I feel the need for speed (heh). Driving should be fun, but not on public roads.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #101
Stack4

Drives: 2014 SW 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkupa10 View Post
See here's the thing, this whole thread you talk about being responsible and then say things like this:

"I'm sure you know that teenagers put wants over being practical."
"But I have only driven my mom's car a few times and it was TONS of fun."
"Truthfully, I can barely handle my dad's Cobalt."

And I could go through the thread and find plenty more, but I won't.

Which leads me to believe you are NOT responsible. How many people have already told you now that they are older they knew they were not responsible enough for a Camaro at 16? I know I wasn't, heck I'm probably still not. You WANT a Camaro and your parents are going to be the ones paying the bills. They are going to be responsible for you. Do you even realize that much? You're a minor, in their car, on their insurance, they're liable for what you do. If you're truly responsible you wouldn't be putting yourself or your family in this situation.
I'm definitely responsible enough not to floor it at every light and do twice the speed limit. I don't speed too often. I know that cars are basically death traps, I wouldn't be the stereotyped 16 year old. If you think that I'm not responsible, so be it. My parents, who know me, think that I am responsible enough for a V6 Camaro, probably not a V8 though.
Stack4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #102
Stack4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcperry View Post
I have to say, you seem to be a very responsible person just by coming here and getting opinions, but I must caution you to be honest with yourself in regards to not being able to handle the power.

There are still days that the rear end gets away from me, and I've been driving that car for two years now, I have no idea how these SS guys do it.

I'll throw this in here just as a suggestion for whichever option you choose. Please, please, please take it to the drag strip. If you have to race, and you will, take it to somewhere that it is legal. Test and tune nights are cheap, it's a blast, and you aren't endangering others. The strip has been a great outlet for me when I feel the need for speed (heh). Driving should be fun, but not on public roads.
Thanks. I'm sure I'd eventually handle the power. Just think about the guys in the ZL1's. They have to be super careful. I really have no interest in dragging the car at all. But it would be fun to take it to a drag stip.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #103
bcperry
Engineer in Training

I keep doing this, but here's another thing I thought of. The tires on the LS are ridiculous. I paid 400 after 30 K miles, for just fronts, and that wasn't even installed. Not to mention if you live somewhere outside the south, and need winter tires.

I think Jkupa10 sounds a bit harsh, but I can just about promise you that he means only to get you to see what we saw in ourselves, I know I couldn't see it in myself at that age. And I can promise you I know what choice I would make then, and what choice I would make now. I bet you know what my choices are, and I know you are smart enough to see through your own bias (considering you're at the top of your class). Your time will come, and when you do get your dream car, it will make it so much special, especially if you save and pay for it yourself like I did. I treat this car like a jewel, and that's a lot more than I could say for the Eclipse (I knocked off most of the front bumper and it blew up right after I traded it in.) One day, when I get my 'Vette (hopefully after I graduate this spring) I know that it will mean a lot more to me just based on what I have had to go through to get it.

I think I may have come off wrong with the drag strip thing. I wasn't saying to please do it, but more of a please go there instead of doing it on the street.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #104
BronxxBombers213

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
id take the cruze... fully loaded so IMO you wont be inclined to mod it as much... The camaro LS would be stripped of alot of features, and youll want to put so much money into it over time.

Id enjoy the cruise for a few years until you could afford something bigger and better

Are you guys set on a brand new car? Im sure you could find a nice 2LT with ~ 10K miles for about the same as a new LS

So, in that order, id go used 2LT camaro , Cruze, LS
Old 10-26-2012, 12:00 AM   #105
bcperry
Engineer in Training

Dang, I remember this too. The only ticket I ever got, I got singled out of a line of cars, because of my Camaro. It attracts cops. The officer even admitted it. Had I been in my wife's cruze, I would not have gotten the ticket.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #106
jkupa10

Drives: 2012 45th Vert 2LT/RS
Quote:
I keep doing this, but here's another thing I thought of. The tires on the LS are ridiculous. I paid 400 after 30 K miles, for just fronts, and that wasn't even installed. Not to mention if you live somewhere outside the south, and need winter tires.

I think Jkupa10 sounds a bit harsh, but I can just about promise you that he means only to get you to see what we saw in ourselves, I know I couldn't see it in myself at that age. And I can promise you I know what choice I would make then, and what choice I would make now. I bet you know what my choices are, and I know you are smart enough to see through your own bias (considering you're at the top of your class). Your time will come, and when you do get your dream car, it will make it so much special, especially if you save and pay for it yourself like I did. I treat this car like a jewel, and that's a lot more than I could say for the Eclipse (I knocked off most of the front bumper and it blew up right after I traded it in.) One day, when I get my 'Vette (hopefully after I graduate this spring) I know that it will mean a lot more to me just based on what I have had to go through to get it.

I think I may have come off wrong with the drag strip thing. I wasn't saying to please do it, but more of a please go there instead of doing it on the street.

Like I said before, listen to this guy.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #107
bcperry
Engineer in Training

Hate to threadjack, but BronxxBombers213 what wheels are those, they are the best I've seen aftermarket.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #108
BronxxBombers213

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
^^ ill shoot you a PM
Old 10-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #109
Stack4

Quote:

Are tires that bad for it?? I know you guys are telling me the more practical and more safe car is the one a 16 year old should get. I understand this completely. The way I see it, the Cruze is a cheeseburger with bacon and the camaro is a double cheeseburger. If that makes sense, lol.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:16 AM   #110
jkupa10

Drives: 2012 45th Vert 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack4 View Post
The way I see it, the Cruze is a cheeseburger with bacon and the camaro is a double cheeseburger. If that makes sense, lol.
And that's why America has such a problem with Obesity!

BAM !
Old 10-26-2012, 12:18 AM   #111
Stack4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxxBombers213 View Post
id take the cruze... fully loaded so IMO you wont be inclined to mod it as much... The camaro LS would be stripped of alot of features, and youll want to put so much money into it over time.

Id enjoy the cruise for a few years until you could afford something bigger and better

Are you guys set on a brand new car? Im sure you could find a nice 2LT with ~ 10K miles for about the same as a new LS

So, in that order, id go used 2LT camaro , Cruze, LS
Yes, the car has to be new. The GM card only gives us the money off of a new car. A LT would be nice, but I could live with a LS. About a month or two ago, we were at the Chevy dealership and I sat in an LS, it was probably the most comfortable cloth interior I've sat in.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:19 AM   #112
Stack4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkupa10 View Post
And that's why America has such a problem with Obesity!

BAM !
Because of metaphors that compare cars to food?