Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
jlauber588

Drives: 2010 camaro
Gmpp warranty thoughts

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on the GMPP extended warranty. Seems like a great deal for the price.
jlauber588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:31 AM   #2
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
SAVE YOUR MONEY ...Does not kick in until the base is up and covers some items the base will cover for 5 years or more. Take the money and put it on the payments. You can buy it at 60,000km IF you still have the car.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
becalmbecool

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I worked at a GM dealer for eight years, and GMPP (in Canada) is one of the better plans out there. It is one of the few plans out there that legitimately covers wear and tear (meaning it doesn't have to break or fail); I saw this used most often for front end stuff (ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arms, pitman arms, wheel bearings etc.) but also on things like noisy fuel pumps or power steering pumps. If you get it, be sure to only buy the "Total Plus" plan (this is their comprehensive plan). I put a 72m/80,000 km plan on my wife's van and did over $4000 work in the last year of coverage (rear seal, intake gasket,steering rack, power steering pump, heater blower motor, radio, passenger side power lock switch). Having the coverage will allow you to be a little more fussy in maintaining your vehicle ie) do you think i would have replaced the radio with a dim LED readout if I didn't have the coverage? (I had the zero deductible coverage, which you can only get at the in-service date).
becalmbecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
victoryred1ss

Drives: 2010 SS M6 2016 2SS A8
GMPP is the best extended warranty out there, but why buy one if your vehicle is 2007 or newer because you have a 5 yr 100,000 mile factory warranty.
Tune done by JRE
victoryred1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
160,000 km
Old 04-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
jlauber588

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoryred1ss View Post
GMPP is the best extended warranty out there, but why buy one if your vehicle is 2007 or newer because you have a 5 yr 100,000 mile factory warranty.
That's only power train warranty I thought.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
GMPP is well worth it if you plan to keep the car a while. You can buy it up till the time your B2B factory warranty expires (36months/36K miles). It takes effect from the date/mileage you have when you purchase it, so it only makes sense to but it just before your B2B factory warranty expires.

Also, you can save up to 40% buying it online. gmoutlet.com has had the best prices (by far) that I've seen.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
jlauber588

Just purchased it. Made sense for the price and considering the problems I've had so far and that I wanna keep the car for awhile. And in the worst case scenario I only lose a couple 100 bucks if I don't ever need it.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
nalpac

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
Send a message via ICQ to nalpac
Purchased GMPP Major Guard zero deductible

I just purchased a Major Guard GMPP zero deductible plan last week since my 3 year 36,000 mile warranty expires in July. What I like about this coverage is that this plan can be tailored to how many miles you drive, how long do you want coverage, and how much of a dedectible do you want if any? To tailor your own plan go to www.gmprotectionplan.com to see what they offer. Also, you can put down an amount and pay the rest off over 18 months interest free.
Before buying this plan, I went to the dealer to see what they offered, and the dealer's finance manager gave me a brochure on a plan called Resource Automotive which is administered by First Extended Service Corp. whom I never have heard of. Since my Camaro has 19,000 miles what was offered to me was a 7 year 60,000 mile warranty for $1689.00 which had to be paid in full upfront which was a big turnoff for me since I already knew that GMPP could be paid off over time interest free. I did not even ask if there was a deductible or not since I do not like paying this kind of money upfront without knowing how good or bad this company is. I guess there is a chance there is a great chance that a nice commision could be paid for getting a dealer's customer to enroll in this plan.
Some other great things about the GMPP is that you can cancel before 60 days if you change your mind, and your car is registered with them so that when you go to a dealer with an issue which GMPP covers, the dealer will know immediately which plan you have which is a great peace of mind. This plan may or may not cost a little more than other plans depending on the coverage you want, but as far as I know is the only plan that can be tailored to how much you drive and how long you want your coverage with different mileage guidlines. It should be interesting to see how good this plan is if it should be needed
nalpac is offline   Reply With Quote