Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 01-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
manelynn

Drives: camaro 2ss 2012
Will 3.91 Gears void warranty?????

I am thinking about getting 3.91 gears on my camaro ss 2012. But i was wondering if it would void my warranty i hear it will not than i hear it will. I also hear that if the dealership were to do it, it should not void warranty and they will do the tune as well to fix the speedometer and the calibration. Will i just need to order this and ask to get them installed by the dealer for the warranty wont be voided or may be ????????

http://www.partstaxi.com/products.php?partID=1644

http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...l380041410.htm
manelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
GM can void your drive train warranty for any tune done by anybody. The gear itself will void the warranty on the parts you are changing.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
GM can void your drive train warranty for any tune done by anybody. The gear itself will void the warranty on the parts you are changing.
They can void more than just the rear differential. If the engine and tranny blow up they can claim it was b/c the car was not designed to run on 3.91 gears. That's bullshit, of course b/c the 1LE uses the LS3 and runs on 3.91. Plus you can buy 3.91 gears from GM performance parts.

GM can still make the assertion that the failure was due to mods however. What they can't do is not cover the power window switch if you put 3.91 gears into your car.

To the OP, Magnuson-Moss, google it.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #4
manelynn

so technically if the gears cause the problem its not covered under the warranty so technically i got that part down but cant you buy like an sct tuner and tune it yourself and when needing to go get the car checked out cant you return it to factory setting and they wont be able to tell its tuned??????
Old 01-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
??? How would they KNOW they were even in the car unless they Open the rear end transfer case
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by manelynn View Post
I am thinking about getting 3.91 gears on my camaro ss 2012. But i was wondering if it would void my warranty i hear it will not than i hear it will. I also hear that if the dealership were to do it, it should not void warranty and they will do the tune as well to fix the speedometer and the calibration. Will i just need to order this and ask to get them installed by the dealer for the warranty wont be voided or may be ????????

http://www.partstaxi.com/products.php?partID=1644

http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...l380041410.htm
Not if you get GM gears & have them installed & have the speedo re-calibrated by an authorized GM dealer ...see attached and notice where it says " Doesn't Void Your Warrranty"

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/camaro-parts.html
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
The GM 3.91 gear does NOT automatically void your warranty. Explain the situation to your dealership, including the fact that GM advertises this gear as an upgrade to the SS that will not void the powertrain, and see what they will do for you.

I have the GM 3.91 gear, waiting to be installed, and asked my dealership about it. Long story short, I have a communication from the GM regional manager agreeing that having a performance shop (not dealership) install the gear and perform the recalibration will not void my powertrain, although they may not warranty the gear itself if not installed by the dealership.
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
manelynn

ok cool thanks so if the dealership were to do it all than it wont void any warranty but can the dealer do the re calibration????
Old 01-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #9
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWNERW View Post
The GM 3.91 gear does NOT automatically void your warranty. Explain the situation to your dealership, including the fact that GM advertises this gear as an upgrade to the SS that will not void the powertrain, and see what they will do for you.

I have the GM 3.91 gear, waiting to be installed, and asked my dealership about it. Long story short, I have a communication from the GM regional manager agreeing that having a performance shop (not dealership) install the gear and perform the recalibration will not void my powertrain, although they may not warranty the gear itself if not installed by the dealership.
Could you please PM me a copy of the communication from the GM regional manager agreeing that having a performance shop (not dealership) install the gear and perform the recalibration that will not void the power train.. THANK YOU!!!

The recalibration requires a flash of the ECM and if that flash isn't done & registered by a GM dealer, then the flash can't be confirmed as a speedo recalibration-only change and thus your power train warranty is subject to be voided.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #10
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
If installed and calibrated by a GM dealer, they will not effect your 5 year/100k mile power train however it will replace the 5 year warranty with a 1 year/12k mile warranty the gears come with. So your power train will still have the 5 year warranty but the rear end will only have a 1 year warranty.

Now here's the kicker that GM doesn't tell you. At this time, the GM calibration is NOT available. GM has been saying since last summer that it's coming but it's still not out for the techs to use to reflash your car so your only options is a aftermarket tune which will void your warranty.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #11
AG1LE

My dealer can't do the recalibration on-site. They would have to obtain data from my car, send it off to GM, then get it back and apply to my car...total cost of $200-300. Too much time and cost IMO. Honestly, I'm hoping the GM calibration becomes available before I get ready to have the gear installed, so I don't have to worry about haggling with the dealer in the future.

I have been asked before to provide a copy of that email from the GM district manager, but I don't plan to do that because I'm not entirely certain it would do you any good, and I want to maintain a good relationship with my dealership (...and I'm not interested in providing it just to prove that I'm telling the truth - believe me or don't). I recommend you open the discussion with your dealership, explain the situation, the fact that GM advertises/recommends the part as an upgrade to your car that won't void your warranty, and see where you can get. Ultimately, each dealership decides what they will and will not do, but in my experience you have to challenge their initial "that voids your warranty" response before you can actually make progress.

Best scenario IMO - you get the gear install and speedometer recalibration done by your dealership. In my situation, the dealer isn't comfortable doing the gear swap, and can't do the recalibration themselves, so I'm looking at other options.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #12
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWNERW View Post
My dealer can't do the recalibration on-site. They would have to obtain data from my car, send it off to GM, then get it back and apply to my car...total cost of $200-300. Too much time and cost IMO. Honestly, I'm hoping the GM calibration becomes available before I get ready to have the gear installed, so I don't have to worry about haggling with the dealer in the future.

I have been asked before to provide a copy of that email from the GM district manager, but I don't plan to do that because I'm not entirely certain it would do you any good, and I want to maintain a good relationship with my dealership (...and I'm not interested in providing it just to prove that I'm telling the truth - believe me or don't). I recommend you open the discussion with your dealership, explain the situation, the fact that GM advertises/recommends the part as an upgrade to your car that won't void your warranty, and see where you can get. Ultimately, each dealership decides what they will and will not do, but in my experience you have to challenge their initial "that voids your warranty" response before you can actually make progress.

Best scenario IMO - you get the gear install and speedometer recalibration done by your dealership. In my situation, the dealer isn't comfortable doing the gear swap, and can't do the recalibration themselves, so I'm looking at other options.
I understand. Good luck. I have a set of GM 3.91s and I'm just waiting for the recalibration to be released, then I choose what I dealer I want to do the install based on their expierience.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #13
manelynn

so at the moment the dealers don't know how to do the recalibration?????
Old 01-27-2014, 06:36 PM   #14
AG1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by manelynn View Post
so at the moment the dealers don't know how to do the recalibration?????
It's worth asking your dealer. One guy on the forum says his dealer received the capability to do an official GM recalibration, and only charged him $50. I haven't been able to independently verify...my dealer certainly couldn't figure it out.