Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-06-2011, 01:23 AM   #155
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
The choice of wording here is interesting. Calling it a car "based on the Camaro platform". If it ends up being a Camaro then that will be a pretty dumb way to tease it. If I am being optimistic it would be cool for them to unveil a new 4 door G8 replacement that is based on the Camaro (but obviously not with the Camaro name). However I won't be at all disappointed if it is the 2012 Camaro or the HP edition. GM is most definitely on a roll right now with cars like the CTS-V, Cruze, Volt and to be honest even the new Sonic is a huge improvement over the old Aveo. Can't wait for later this week!

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:51 AM   #156
CyberGamaro

Drives: BLK 13 Camaro 1SS/1LE
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...t-certain.html

4200 Status
CyberGamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:56 AM   #157
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGamaro View Post
wow...i REALLY hope thats not what will be shown in Chicago...i mean not to rain on any parades but that Caprice looks just like another Cobalt, its just so incredibly vanilla, your average 4-wheels of transportation. Even with a V8 its still just so bland...if this was what was shown id have to agree with the 5thgenindy500 guy, lots of hype for something..not..really..amazing...
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:15 AM   #158
CyberGamaro

Drives: BLK 13 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Referencing my link above...IF it is supposed to be the G8 brought back to life, I really hope it looks a little somewhat like it...not whats on the that photo, as that looks kind of bland. We will see...
4200 Status
CyberGamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:47 AM   #159
Justification

Drives: Red 2SS/RS Convertible
I'd like to think it's an El Camarino.
Justification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:32 AM   #160
drummer5679

Drives: 2005 Infiniti G35
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather
The Mustang is Ford's Corvette. The Challenger is Chrysler's Corvette. (for now) I will be more than happy to take them to Spring Mountain with their best - and introduce them to something called a Z06 - or a ZR1..........(and we ain't done yet
I don't really think this is correct. Considering corvettes are double the price of mustang I don't think you can put them in the same category. I don't think Ford produces a vette equivalent car off the top of my head. I would also compare the vette to the viper over the challenger considering the price and performance gap.
drummer5679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #161
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
wow...i REALLY hope thats not what will be shown in Chicago...i mean not to rain on any parades but that Caprice looks just like another Cobalt, its just so incredibly vanilla, your average 4-wheels of transportation. Even with a V8 its still just so bland...if this was what was shown id have to agree with the 5thgenindy500 guy, lots of hype for something..not..really..amazing...
That's because the vehicle shown is a stripped-down 9C3 police model.

The standard civilian Holden Caprice is much more of a premium sedan.

And its high-performance HSV variant...

Old 02-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #162
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
Just because they are debuting a "Camaro-based" car doesn't mean that they can't also debut the "HP" edition Camaro. Last time I checked GM isn't limited to bringing one car to the show.

And to me, "Camaro-based" could also simply mean another Camaro model.

From Fbod's comments it seems to me there will a Camaro at the show. And it will be one we will be happy to see!
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #163
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGamaro View Post
DING DING DING, my bet is we have a winner as to what is going to be shown at the Chicago Auto Show, although a much nicer looking one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer5679 View Post
I don't really think this is correct. Considering corvettes are double the price of mustang I don't think you can put them in the same category. I don't think Ford produces a vette equivalent car off the top of my head. I would also compare the vette to the viper over the challenger considering the price and performance gap.
Yes, he is correct, that would be the GT500. Viper is gone. So, what he is saying is that's the best they got to compete with the best Chevrolet's got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
That's because the vehicle shown is a stripped-down 9C3 police model.

The standard civilian Holden Caprice is much more of a premium sedan.

And its high-performance HSV variant...

BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:45 AM   #164
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
"GM’s Mark Reuss announced the debut of a vehicle based on the Camaro platform".
OK, lets revist this quote. Firebird is out of the question based on Scott's response I feel (for now at least). So lets do what we do best here, speculate! Definition of debut: first public appearance or presentation of a performer, program, or performance. Definition of based: a fundamental principle or groundwork; foundation. A basic definition of a platform in automobiles, from a technical point of view, includes: underbody and suspensions (with axles) — where the underbody is made of front floor, underfloor, engine compartment and frame (reinforcement of underbody). An automobile platform is a shared set of common design, engineering, and production efforts, as well as major components over a number of outwardly distinct models and even types of automobiles, often from different, but related marques.[2] It is practiced in the automotive industry to reduce the costs associated with the development of products by basing those products on a smaller number of platforms. This further allows companies to create distinct models from a design perspective on similar underpinnings. The Chevrolet Camaro is the only Zeta platform model to go into production in North America.
Taking whats been said in the ever so criptic statement by Mr. Reuss, this vehicle could be anything, but it will be Chevy no doubt. It could be a new model with a new name (sheetmetal, outer body per se) on the Holden Zeta platform as it currently is produced with the Gen5 Camaro, or a new edition of the current Camaro,(as in HP), not a Z28...it already debuted eons ago. Either way the cats outta the bag on 2-9-11. Stay tuned Camaro fans...!
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #165
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
As the Camaro is "based on" the Zeta I (Commodore and Statesman/Caprice) if it were to be some kind of sedan why would someone say it is based on the Camaro? Wouldn't you simply say it's based on the Caprice PPV? Which is already announced? Or are you hinting at the first Zeta II Sedan? Something that doesn't exist yet?

Hmmmmmm this is interestingly more interesting. Mr. Reuss is perhaps far more cryptic than the simple announcement?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #166
Dan@showstopper

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
They had a Caprice at the Chicago auto show last year. I don't think that's the car they're talking about.
Dan@showstopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #167
mondain

Drives: toyota
I hope fbodfather knows this is a Z28 thread and not a 'next generation Caprice' thread
mondain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #168
10spokess
Wild and Cammed

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
what if it is just the XM accessory appearence package and you guys just hyped that up too much? Hopefully its the Z28