Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 09-18-2008, 12:12 PM   #57
Cmyskill
17 ZL1 what a car....

Drives: 2021 M S PLAID, 2017 ZL1 A10 White
Send a message via AIM to Cmyskill
I think and stress I, is that the younger generation (18-29) buyer loved the Fbody due to looks and performance. On the other hand the baby boomers and older (40-60), that have the money and wanted an American V8 sports car were purchasing the Mustang? WHY? Well, I will use my father as an example.... 55 years old and hates my TA... Why... Because he hates having to roll out of a seat every time he wants to get out of the car. Yet with the stang he had no issues with the seats and it’s a lot easier to get in and out of. Also, to him it is not about performance it is about fun to drive. While every now and then it is about feeling the power of a V8. Also, the Mustang was just a classier looking car for older people. As for the new Camaro.... I LOVE IT and my Father LOVES the new look. So hopefully this generation Camaro will do better than the last.... Just my thoughts on why the Camaro was X'ed (Sales)

Cmyskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #58
Scooter

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmyskill View Post
I think and stress I, is that the younger generation (18-29) buyer loved the Fbody due to looks and performance. On the other hand the baby boomers and older (40-60), that have the money and wanted an American V8 sports car were purchasing the Mustang? WHY? Well, I will use my father as an example.... 55 years old and hates my TA... Why... Because he hates having to roll out of a seat every time he wants to get out of the car. Yet with the stang he had no issues with the seats and it’s a lot easier to get in and out of. Also, to him it is not about performance it is about fun to drive. While every now and then it is about feeling the power of a V8. Also, the Mustang was just a classier looking car for older people. As for the new Camaro.... I LOVE IT and my Father LOVES the new look. So hopefully this generation Camaro will do better than the last.... Just my thoughts on why the Camaro was X'ed (Sales)
Well said, Cmyskill.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:52 PM   #59
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
I would like to stir the pot with a quote directly from the almighty father.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
well -- we learned a long time ago (unlike some people we won't mention....) that there is this thing called a "Dyno" -- and if you advertise a horsepower, you'd better be SURE you can deliver.

If we advertise 422hp -- you can write it in Granny's Bible that all cars will have at least 422 hp with that particular engine.
Which I interpret to mean that if you put this thing on a dyno, it is going to read 422. I venture to guess that like many of the General's cars before it, they are giving the whp rating after drivetrain losses.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #60
ckellyme3

Drives: 1986 IROC 406 stroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post

Which I interpret to mean that if you put this thing on a dyno, it is going to read 422. I venture to guess that like many of the General's cars before it, they are giving the whp rating after drivetrain losses.
Good old Fbodfather. I guess that pretty much kills this thread lol.

My scheme

ckellyme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #61
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:

its sae certified which means it is tested outside of the car. they arent allowed to fudge numbers like they used too
Old 09-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #62
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
its sae certified which means it is tested outside of the car. they arent allowed to fudge numbers like they used too
What I think FbodFather is implying is that if you grab the LS3s out of 100 new ‘Vettes or Camaros and put them on engine dynos they will all make at least 422hp. The implication is that if you did the same with another manufacturer’s cars you might find that the average power was greater than the rated power, but that some would fall short.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:41 PM   #63
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
What I think FbodFather is implying is that if you grab the LS3s out of 100 new ‘Vettes or Camaros and put them on engine dynos they will all make at least 422hp. The implication is that if you did the same with another manufacturer’s cars you might find that the average power was greater than the rated power, but that some would fall short.
I disagree. The auto rags that test these cars aren't going to take the time to pull an engine and strap it to a dyno (with the exception of maybe CHP and GM High Tech). When looking for something big to criticize, most mags go for the power rating. They take it and strap it to a chasiss dyno to see if the manufacturer is fibbing or not. To protect themselves from this, GM has a history of giving closer to a whp estimation.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #64
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Whatever the numbers, let's just hope it comes out best in class head to head versus the competition. Both HP and $$$
Old 09-19-2008, 06:54 AM   #65
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
GM wants to be "honest" in the rating of their cars. They don't want to tell you it has 450 when it has 422 and they don't want to tell you it has 380 when it has 422 (the GT-R is suffering from this). Everybody hates it when you come belly up to the bar and brag about your car having 450 hp when it doesn't. Everyone laughs and dismisses you as the idiot you are. Everyone also hates it when you belly up to the bar and brag how fast your car is with 380 hp and they know it has 422. Everyone looks in disgust because they know you are sand bagging, and you are LYING. What else are you lying about? Why are you hiding this information? Don't you respect me or trust me?

Only Scott can say for sure, but I think what he is saying is "yeah there are going to be a couple cars with 3-4 more hp, and there are going to be cars with 3-4 fewer hp, but you can count on our stuff being consistant, and accurate. You can trust us on other stuff too".

Or.....I am just a big fat jerk.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote