Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-19-2016, 06:33 PM   #1
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
New found respect to my 1LE, did a road rally

Not organized just a bunch of enthusiast from Camaro's ZL1's to 1LE, Wrx Sti's and even a 2011 turbo v6 mustang.

Down it southern Indiana around Bloomington and Nashville Indiana. SR 45 to SR 446 to SR 58 up to story inn and back to Nashville.

Very twisty and blind corners and blind drops, some open road areas. Half way thru 3 hours later I was worn out from turning, clutching, braking, and trying to see where the road goes. I didn't have passenger so it was a bit more overload. I mostly kept it in 4th which allow me to slow into corners at 40mph and able to go up 75mph when needed, couple corners required 2nd gear.

But I got mad new respect for my 1LE, it did some corners without a squeal, it was planted the whole time. The recaro's really did there job making me work less.

I was in the back, I was just running my pace, plus it just went over 5k, I did 400 miles just that day alone. Plus first time it parked in public parking over 10 blocks away. Yes I was worried, but it was fine.

I need some better driving shoes, my slip on deck shoes were making my feet hurt.

We even had to do a detour which I swear was a cattle road, the suspension just took it. We even hit some harsh dips enough to feel the full impact of the suspension bumpers. THank god I never swapped out the stock springs.
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:06 PM   #2
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Those twisty roads are really where this car shines. When I still lived in Southern California driving up through the Cuyamaca Mountains and then back down into the Borrego Desert was super fun. Now that I am out in North Carolina I have to make a run through the Blue Ridge Parkway, hopefully I will be able to do that this fall when the trees are changing color. Next time you go with your friends take the lead and see if they can keep up. (but always be safe) And if you liked driving through those twisty roads please consider trying your hand at Autocross or a track day you won't regret it.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:24 AM   #3
chargerfan2

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE 2SS Summit White
Congratulations on escaping California. Must be nice to live in a place where you can mod your car without the emissions police on your ass.
chargerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #4
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerfan2 View Post
Congratulations on escaping California. Must be nice to live in a place where you can mod your car without the emissions police on your ass.
And I can own whatever guns I want too. Don't get me wrong, California is a beautiful place to live and I enjoyed the 40+ years I spent living there, but it has been getting very expensive lately and the regulatory climate there for just about everything I enjoy was getting to be a huge hassle. I just felt like California didn't want me there anymore.

If you can during October-January get that car out on the drive through the Cuyamaca Mountains and back down into Borrego Springs. Fantastic drive and very beautiful. The pic from my sig was taken there.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #5
Windycity

Drives: Yellow 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1SS1LE View Post
Not organized just a bunch of enthusiast from Camaro's ZL1's to 1LE, Wrx Sti's and even a 2011 turbo v6 mustang.

Down it southern Indiana around Bloomington and Nashville Indiana. SR 45 to SR 446 to SR 58 up to story inn and back to Nashville.

Very twisty and blind corners and blind drops, some open road areas. Half way thru 3 hours later I was worn out from turning, clutching, braking, and trying to see where the road goes. I didn't have passenger so it was a bit more overload. I mostly kept it in 4th which allow me to slow into corners at 40mph and able to go up 75mph when needed, couple corners required 2nd gear.

But I got mad new respect for my 1LE, it did some corners without a squeal, it was planted the whole time. The recaro's really did there job making me work less.

I was in the back, I was just running my pace, plus it just went over 5k, I did 400 miles just that day alone. Plus first time it parked in public parking over 10 blocks away. Yes I was worried, but it was fine.

I need some better driving shoes, my slip on deck shoes were making my feet hurt.

We even had to do a detour which I swear was a cattle road, the suspension just took it. We even hit some harsh dips enough to feel the full impact of the suspension bumpers. THank god I never swapped out the stock springs.
Sounds like fun. I wrote down your route and might duplicate it! My mother in law lives in colombus IN and i am thinking about taking my 1le there to visit to put some miles on it and sounds like a cool trip....

Did that route take 6 hours?

Last edited by Windycity; 07-24-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:35 PM   #6
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Agreed, I always loved the car, but the first time on a road course, I realized what it really was for. Not arguing with you guys who upgrade tires/suspension/whatever else, good for you, but I think GM nailed it on this car. Picked up another set of stock Goodyears late last summer. The factory setup just works so well.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:05 AM   #7
HogsFan75

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
I live in NW Arkansas in the Ozarks. Our mountains aren't big, but they are vast and every other road is like tail of the dragon. Its a blast to drive this car in these parts.
HogsFan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #8
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1SS1LE View Post
Look for a tie-up "walking shoe" with a flexible sole. Unless you're heel-toe'ing your downshifts, avoid shoes with wide soles that stick out (can inadvertently catch against adjacent pedals). I've found Reeboks and New Balances (in black) to work very well for every driving duty from daily driving up to HPDE driving.

It's kind of satisfying to hear when folks find out what their 1LE is really good at . . . right out of the box. Seriously.

Norm
Old 07-27-2016, 11:33 AM   #9
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzobian View Post
Agreed, I always loved the car, but the first time on a road course, I realized what it really was for. Not arguing with you guys who upgrade tires/suspension/whatever else, good for you, but I think GM nailed it on this car. Picked up another set of stock Goodyears late last summer. The factory setup just works so well.
^^This. Not being argumentative or anything but you have no idea what this car is capable of taking on some twisty back roads OP. You can't corner properly unless you are driving into oncoming traffic. If you think it shines now take it to a road course. It will blow you away.