Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #71
Beau

Drives: Fast
SS4Ever, there are tons of different types of GM engineers there. The guy you talked to sounds about as informed as a first year college student who bought their civic Si, who recently read a cat back exhaust would be good to put him in the 11s.

The fact is with GM, they always cork up a certain percentage of power, GM usually leaves a lot of power on the table. The main reason for this is that GM doesn't make quiet nor vibration free motors typically. NHV is the acronynm for the day for most paper GM engineers.

However... The good news, sinice most of the GM vehicles are over built, then corked up, they respond well to bolt ons.

The ONLY thing that matters is rise in volumetric efficiency with each mod done.
There are only two motors I know of that don't respond to bolt ons.

Its the S2000 motor, and most recent Nissan VQs. Why? Because they are already engineers to make the best power within those parameters, their runners lengths and volumes are already optimized. Their intake already flows enough without it impeding stock performance, as well as their exhausts. So on and so forth.

GMs again, on the other hand do not typically share the same passion for extracting everything they can out of a motor, they say, ok here are the specs, we need to get it this quiet. Lets do it easy, and make a muti baffled intake with wird turns and chambers, that'll quiet it down~! ( and it does... for cheap too )

Same with the exhaust.

P.S. the non DI motor, GMs drag racing team dumped the Ecotec in a specific class that allowed up to 3.5 liters. They took the 3.6 destroked it, and make 1665 WHP out the first time with it and killed their transmission. They didn't even think they would come close to that number, btw.
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:04 AM   #72
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
holy crap...I took a link to another page, check this out:

100 + hp on 4.5 psi?!? Jeez!
I think whoever first said this little engine has some potential was understating the situation!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Absolutely...don't know why I didn't in the first place...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=7079
OMFG
Old 12-08-2008, 04:39 PM   #73
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
you must mean new 6 cylinders. in 1991 GMC took a regular 150hp 4.3 Sonoma and beefed it up to 330hp & called it a Syclone. guys have since then bumped them to over 1000hp.
They also converted that engine to forced induction. It was turbocharged. I'm talking about normally aspirated V6's...
Old 12-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #74
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau View Post
P.S. the non DI motor, GMs drag racing team dumped the Ecotec in a specific class that allowed up to 3.5 liters. They took the 3.6 destroked it, and make 1665 WHP out the first time with it and killed their transmission. They didn't even think they would come close to that number, btw.
Yeah but AFTER they probably destroked it, completely re-built the engine, upgraded the block, pistons and all internals then converted it to forced induction. Which can be done to pretty much any engine.

I'm just saying that normally aspirated, that V6 won't have to much more power to be gained from what I was informed. Yeah you throw a turbo or supercharger on it of course you're looking at gains of 100hp or more. But a full load of bolt-ons aren't going to give that V6 like 70+ HP which I think alot of you are expecting...
Old 12-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #75
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4EVER View Post
They also converted that engine to forced induction. It was turbocharged. I'm talking about normally aspirated V6's...
okay. you didn't specify that last time.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #76
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
okay. you didn't specify that last time.
sorry.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:00 PM   #77
Flighttester

Drives: 2008 Audi A4 3.2 MT S Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
I am no expert on DI, but I think a limiting factor is the injection system's ability to overcome the cylinder pressure. Add a lot of boost and the system could really struggle to get the fuel into the cylinder. I would imagine upgrading of the factory system would get pretty expensive and complex. If the maximum bmep in the cylinder is 2000 psi, the injection system will have to be capable of much more than that to accurately put the correct amount of fuel in. Upping this significantly through FI may cause a lot of issues in fuel control.

That's why direct injection systems are so expensive to implement.

They require very high pressure pumps and lines. That don't come cheap.

But, it's worth it.
Flighttester is offline   Reply With Quote