Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
CrisisMusick

Drives: 2014 AGM 1LE/2SS/RS
Opticoat thoughts?

I've heard a couple of my co-workers opticoating their BMW's and they've all suggested that I do it on my new 14 1LE. Has anyone else on here done this opticoat? What exactly does it do? How much should I look to spend? and would it be good for my wrapped 1LE hood?

Thanks guys
CrisisMusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Wish I knew about it when I first got my car. It's highly recommended. Autogeek.net sells the kit for about $70 Probably triple that to have a pro do the work. By the time I heard about it I already had sealer and a dozen coats of wax. I'd go with Opti Coat 2.0 and a clear bra for the front and mirrors since they chip easily.
Home > Exterior Car Care > Car Paint, Glass, Wheel & Trim Coatings > Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 Permanent Paint Coating FREE BONUS

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 Permanent Paint Coating FREE BONUS

For a limited time, Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 includes a free 16 x 16 inch Cobra Gold Plush Microfiber Towel!

The professional choice for PERMANENT paint protection.

You read it right. Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is a permanent coating that protects automotive paint over its lifetime! Unlike a wax or sealant, Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 will not wash or wear off. It acts as a second layer of clear coat which provides increased protection against the elements. Formerly only available to professionals, Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is now available to the public in a more user-friendly formula.

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is a clear resin coating, much like the clear coat that already exists on your vehicle. And just like your factory clear coat, Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is meant to be permanent! Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 can be applied to all exterior surfaces. It is not recommended for glass since improper application can affect visibility. For other exterior surfaces, Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is a highly effective, transparent protective coating.

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 can be applied to:

painted surfaces
headlights
wheels
plastic trim
bumpers
aluminum & chrome surfaces
Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is an additional barrier between the elements and your vehicle's paint. The paint will retain its color and contaminants will be blocked out to keep the paint smooth and clean. Unlike waxes and paint sealants that require frequent reapplication, Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 provides constant, unyielding protection for the life of your vehicle's finish!

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 was modified slightly from the original professional formula. (The pro version is still available under the Opti-Guard name.) Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 cures more slowly, which gives you more time to apply the coating correctly.

Because Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is permanent, the paint finish has to be properly prepared before applying it. Any blemishes or contamination on the paint will be permanently locked in so remove them first! On a properly prepared paint finish, Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 will look clear, smooth, and clean.

Note: Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is not to be confused with other waxes, sealants or nano-coatings, this is different. Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 uses a resin technology that forms a permanent bond to paint and cures, just like an extra layer of clear coat.

Once Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 cures, washing is the only maintenance needed to keep your vehicle looking fantastic. The coating can be clayed but it should not be necessary since Opti-Coat 2.0 releases contaminants easily. Use detail sprays as desired to intensify the gloss. You can also use Optimum Poli-Seal by hand or with dual action polisher with a foam finishing pad to clean the paint over time.

Say goodbye to waxing! Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 provides permanent paint protection to keep your vehicle looking its best indefinitely!

Directions:

Polish paint to remove any defects.
Clean surface with 15% IPA solution to remove all polishing oils, waxes, and silicones. (NOTE: You can skip the IPA step if your polish of choice is Detailer's Coating Prep Polish)
Prime the applicator by making an X pattern across the pad. Only a few drops will be needed for each subsequent panel.
Wipe Opti-Coat onto a single panel at a time in a thin layer using two directions, front to back, and then side to side.
Within 5 minutes, inspect the panel with adequate lighting looking for any thick areas that have not flashed away to clear.
Use foam applicator or paint safe microfiber to even out any areas where you see streaks. This step is key, as any spots not leveled will have to be polished if allowed to cure. Panels will feel a bit tacky and will be self-leveling during cure time, so avoid any unnecessary touching, wiping, or contact to produce the best results.
Repeat steps 1-6 for each panel where application is desired. Not recommended for glass.

Due to the unique formulation of this product, we ask that you acknowledge that you have read and understand the application and purpose of Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 before purchasing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
I'm putting it on my 14' 1LE.

Prep is key.
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
It is one of the first things I am going to do to my 14 1LE. After that clear bra over the more vunerable areas.
Egon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
mcbeth15

Drives: '11 RS 2LT IBM
Had mine done in sept and it looks fantastic. If you want to see pictures of mine and others check Reflections Auto Detailing Salon on Facebook or reflectionsautodetailing.net
Old 10-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
My auto detailer did both my 2011 Camaro and 1998 Riviera last spring. Beautiful!
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
flyinlow89
Smoke Alotapotomous

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I opticoated my camaro. Great product. Only thing is I miss going out and polishing and sealing lol. I also did my wife's truck so I have all these high end products just sitting there. But moving forward I think I will reserve it for daily use vehicles and I may strip it from my camaro so I get have my hobby back
Old 10-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow89 View Post
I opticoated my camaro. Great product. Only thing is I miss going out and polishing and sealing lol. I also did my wife's truck so I have all these high end products just sitting there. But moving forward I think I will reserve it for daily use vehicles and I may strip it from my camaro so I get have my hobby back
Lol we're cut from the same cloth there. I just can't imagine being "done" with detailing my Camaro.

That's not to say anything about anyone who does do OptiCoat. It's a phenomenal product and absolutely has it's place. I highly recommend it to anyone who just wants their Camaro to look great and be well protected with minimal upkeep. It's just not for me.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Lol we're cut from the same cloth there. I just can't imagine being "done" with detailing my Camaro.

That's not to say anything about anyone who does do OptiCoat. It's a phenomenal product and absolutely has it's place. I highly recommend it to anyone who just wants their Camaro to look great and be well protected with minimal upkeep. It's just not for me.
Agreed, it will be hard for me, but I have to do some heavy compounding to remove Acid Rain etching and want to have the extra protection from the Opti-coat.
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
DwRed1LTV6

Drives: '11 VR 2LT HHr
What is the stuff they put on cars at the dealership?
They say you dont have to wax the car.. or atleast not
as often ~

DwRed1LTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #11
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver85IrocZ View Post
as often ~
They're lying

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver85IrocZ View Post
as often ~
Your dealer or atleast whoever told you that is a complete imbecile
Old 10-13-2013, 12:32 AM   #13
Oneslowz28
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1265
I got it on my ZL1. Best money i have ever spent. The car is a ton easier to clean now finish looks awesome. I would suggest getting it done.
Oneslowz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:40 AM   #14
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
Can it be applied over the vinyl stripes and decals on my Pacecar?