Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
insomniac2k2

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS IOM
Im still not convinced on this one. Hopefully someone will be able to confirm that a in fact a second ECM doesn't work anymore. As everything that I have read is just rumor. There are only a few metric that would allow that sort of tracking. People "in the know" would know exactly what those were.

The thing that kills me on this topic, is that all that most people really want with a tune is to make very small adjustments that are harmless to an engine. Slightly better gas mileage, better torque response, tune out a stupid skip shift, etc.

I get GM's stance on it, but it sure would be cool for some sort of GM approved tunes. Something like canned tunes that could be "certified" by GM, and be warranty safe.

Pipe dream, I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I vote for Jannetty tune in the case as well.

Just realize that you can put your stock tune back but if you have any warranty issues that GM will be able to tell it's been re-tuned by a non-GM tune and will probably deny the work to be covered under warranty.

It's not like the good old days when you could do that. GM got wise to that little trick and make it so that they record every tune. So there is now a log of what went on.

Oh...and buying a whole new ECM isn't supposed to work anymore either because of the way the VIN is tied to it. I'm not sure the details on that one but that's what I've heard through the rumor mill.

If you tune your car you need to be able to accept the fact that you'll probably loose your drivetrain warranty.
insomniac2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
RBL

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac2k2 View Post
Im still not convinced on this one. Hopefully someone will be able to confirm that a in fact a second ECM doesn't work anymore. As everything that I have read is just rumor. There are only a few metric that would allow that sort of tracking. People "in the know" would know exactly what those were.

The thing that kills me on this topic, is that all that most people really want with a tune is to make very small adjustments that are harmless to an engine. Slightly better gas mileage, better torque response, tune out a stupid skip shift, etc.

I get GM's stance on it, but it sure would be cool for some sort of GM approved tunes. Something like canned tunes that could be "certified" by GM, and be warranty safe.

Pipe dream, I know...
Just take your stock ECM off and put it in the closet without touching it. Buy a new ECM and have that one tuned. If your car makes like a grenade just swap back in the new that might be tied to your VIN.
RBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #17
insomniac2k2

That's been the assumption, but others have spoke out and said that swapping in and out ECM's is trackable. That coupled with the very hardline stance on this forum, it's very difficult to get what I consider "real information" on this topic.

All in all, when it's time to do any possible warranty voiding mods, I will accept the fact that I will likely do just that.

Does it irritate me that I cannot throw LT headers and a small tune to allow for the extra air flow without voiding the warranty? Abso-freaking-lutely....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBL View Post
Just take your stock ECM off and put it in the closet without touching it. Buy a new ECM and have that one tuned. If your car makes like a grenade just swap back in the new that might be tied to your VIN.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #18
Ronn

Drives: 2010 Camaro
If the engine fails, the computer logs info such as engine speed, temp etc, if you change it back to your OEM computer the tech will think something's up because there will be no info logged.

It's a high school prom, it's a Springsteen song, it's a ride in a Chevrolet...
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #19
insomniac2k2

I could definitely see something like this being one of the potential tells. Although it would have to be a catastrophic failure which would not allow you the convenience of swapping back in your stocker one and taking it for a spin.

I still want some sort of GM approved flash. They would even make money from it by charging a certification "vig"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
If the engine fails, the computer logs info such as engine speed, temp etc, if you change it back to your OEM computer the tech will think something's up because there will be no info logged.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #20
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac2k2 View Post
I could definitely see something like this being one of the potential tells. Although it would have to be a catastrophic failure which would not allow you the convenience of swapping back in your stocker one and taking it for a spin.

I still want some sort of GM approved flash. They would even make money from it by charging a certification "vig"....
The Second Computer thing Does Not Work, because you have to have GM Flash the New one for you, now they have a Record that you have 2 computers unless you turn yours in.

Not only that but the computers keep track of Hours of Operation and Mileage.

GM is not going to go through the trouble of writing a different calibration and getting it through the EPA Certification.

You just have to accept the Fact that you have to Take responsibility for your actions, and you Can't and Should Not Try and Scam GM.

You have to Pay to Play.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote