Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Noise at firewall when depressing clutch?

Has anyone noticed a noise when depressing the clutch fully to the firewall, and then when releasing it there is a sound like something is hitting sheetmetal? It comes and goes depending on cold or warm temperature and frequency of use during the trip, whether parked cold<the loudest shortly thereafter starting out> or under operation warm<not as noticeable>. Mind you this is a current issue here with cold temps in NJ for me and my car. I don't recall this before when it was warm out. Anyone have similar issues or any ideas what it is?
Old 03-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
scuba264

Drives: Manual 2011 CGM LS
Funny, I see this is for you ZL1 but I'm noticing a very similar thing in my 2011 LS. Never noticed it before, and I only hear it from a cold start like out of my plan where I live.

I don't want to use the word "grinding", but it seems more noticeably noisy when I depress the clutch. Some weird rotational sound and its one of those things I'm not sure if it is an issue or something I'm now hearing all the time because I listen for it. Seems to go away after a mile or so though.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
On my SS, I get a little metallic noise from the throw out bearing ... Don't know if it's the same as what you are hearing.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
I was getting a big whooshing sound at times, but then in neutral I engage and disengaged the clutch several times without moving the car. I think my noise was because of the dual mass flywheel. I don't think the SS's have the dual mass flywheel.
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
scuba264

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 View Post
I was getting a big whooshing sound at times, but then in neutral I engage and disengaged the clutch several times without moving the car. I think my noise was because of the dual mass flywheel. I don't think the SS's have the dual mass flywheel.
"Whooshing" is a really great description I can think of for my LS. For a few days I was trying to convince myself it was windy or it was the noise of the wind passing my car as I accelerated and just never noticed but it is definitely mechanical. Just not sure if its a problem.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...to respond to those who noticed something similar. When I depress the clutch fully to the floor, upon releasing it, there is a noise that I can only describe as a noise close to one that would associate with hitting a piece of sheetmetal with another piece of heavier steel, almost if there was an interfernece problem between a metal object moving into another piece of metal.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
scuba264

I was driving around today a few times and noticed it also when engine braking while the car was still cold. I'm starting to think it could be some heat shield or exhaust vibration.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2