Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
CyberDan

Drives: 1SS Camaro
Metallic clicking sound

Hello everyone, before I make time to goto the dealership and have it officially checked out, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this issue.

When in park, and I rev the engine to about 2500 rpms, as I take my foot off the accelerator and the rpms go down, there's this metallic clicking sound coming from underneath the car where the cats are. The sound does not go away as the car warms up. I've installed borla sport cat back exhaust last year, so could it be a loose clamp? Leaking cat? Leaking header gasket?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
CAI Cold Air Intake, VMax CNC TB, Borla Sport Catback Exhaust, EE Oil Catch Can, Eibach Sway Bars and Drop Springs, AAC concept side markers, stealth signal bulbs, Heritage grille, Sparks Restorations front and rear modern SS emblems
CyberDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Really hard to say honestly- if its something that only happens when you apply gas- that tells you it something to do with engine/ exhaust flow etc and not anything else...hard to call though without hearing it.
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
DandD

Drives: 2010 2SS and 2011 LS
Could very well be an exhaust leak. Try and get someone to help you out, have them sit in the car and bring it up to 2500 and let off while you get down behind the front tire and see if you can narrow down where the sound is coming from. You should be able to narrow it down pretty good without actually sticking your head under the car. Did this noise start fairly soon after you did the exhaust work??
Old 10-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
CyberDan

Thanks alot for the replies...

I noticed it after the exhaust work, yea... Also, when driving normally, and when the auto transmission shifts gears, sometimes I get a decel popping noise, just during the gear change, it just doesn't sound normal.

I'm thinking I might just want to get the exhaust system welded in.
CAI Cold Air Intake, VMax CNC TB, Borla Sport Catback Exhaust, EE Oil Catch Can, Eibach Sway Bars and Drop Springs, AAC concept side markers, stealth signal bulbs, Heritage grille, Sparks Restorations front and rear modern SS emblems
Old 10-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Be careful welding the system in- a good way to break pipes/ welds from shock to the sytem for any reason. Also, just check your clamps- if the exhaust system is new- they may just need to be tightened down. Is the system using c band clamps?
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
DandD

Drives: 2010 2SS and 2011 LS
Thats good advice Mike, After I installed my headers and high flow cats, I drove the car for a couple of weeks and then got back under it and re torqued everything. If you can get under the car CyberDan these cars usually run pretty rich so if it is an exhaust leak you very well may see a carbon or soot mark where it is leaking.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Another member had a similar sound. It turned out he used the gaskets that came with his headers. Big mistake! One of the header gaskets was leaking. Get a set of OEM gaskets if you have headers.

I didn't see that you have headers in your sig. though.

Good luck.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
CyberDan

I don't have aftermarket headers, just the borla cat back exhaust. The system uses "o"clamps? Their round. I'll have to put my car on ramps and crawl under there and have my girl rev the car for me. The sound is a quick click, almost like someone is shuffling a deck of metal playing cards, it's a rapid sound.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:06 PM   #9
bajamoon

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRX
Sounds like exhaust leak. My old dodge had a exhaust leak and it sounded like a lifter tick. Have somebody give it a little gas while you listen under neath.
bajamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
CyberDan

So exhaust leak? I'm gonna crawl under it this weekend and give it a listen... If anybody has anymore ideas, much appreciated.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #11
Nice SS
Mr. Bill

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDan View Post
Hello everyone, before I make time to goto the dealership and have it officially checked out, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this issue.

When in park, and I rev the engine to about 2500 rpms, as I take my foot off the accelerator and the rpms go down, there's this metallic clicking sound coming from underneath the car where the cats are. The sound does not go away as the car warms up. I've installed borla sport cat back exhaust last year, so could it be a loose clamp? Leaking cat? Leaking header gasket?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Hey, I had that with the stock exhaust, and it turned out that one of the baffles in one of the mufflers had broken loose..chev replaced the exhaust system since its one piece...
Nice SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #12
CyberDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice SS View Post
Hey, I had that with the stock exhaust, and it turned out that one of the baffles in one of the mufflers had broken loose..chev replaced the exhaust system since its one piece...
Do the cats come loose, have you heard of the cats rattling? It sounds like the sound is coming from the cat area.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #13
Jcobra

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs M6
Check the black tunnel brace to see if its hitting rhe exhaust. There have been numerous people with clearance issues. I put some thick washers in mine and the metallic noise stopped.
Jcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
CyberDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcobra View Post
Check the black tunnel brace to see if its hitting rhe exhaust. There have been numerous people with clearance issues. I put some thick washers in mine and the metallic noise stopped.
I noticed this as soon as I installed the exhaust, so I ended up buying a thicker tunnel brace with more clearance... Thanks for the suggestion though.