Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
Zslash28
 
Drives: 72 F100/75 Duster/79 Z28/80 F-Bird
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Joursey
Posts: 104
CTF cars, 2014/15

So, if someone wanted to buy one of these cars how would you go about it? My reason for asking is that some people may be ok with a used version since it will not be perfect. I liken it to having a new phone, your really careful and dont want to drop it, but once you finally get a scratch or ding the OMG it has to stay perfect wears off.

I view these CTF cars as just another one from the available bucket to own. Also i would think many of the little bugs would be worked out and they have a cool story to go along.

What say you?
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
camaro2lt
 
camaro2lt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2lt VR/RS CGM Rally's
Join Date: May 2009
Location: palmyra pa
Posts: 5,252
These CTF Cars go to the GM dealer auction system, You either have to find a dealer that knows about CTF cars so when one shows up they buy it or you can contact someone at GM and they might be able to help you.....Try TOM HENRY Chevrolet in Bakerstown PA they have a good connection at GM that might be able to help you get a CTF car.
camaro2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
frayed
 
Drives: 964 Turbo, 991 GT3 and Z/28 ordered
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Austin
Posts: 72
Any ideas on discounts for a CTF vehicle? With a car like this, this hot and some dealer gouging I have to wonder if there's much to save going CTF.
__________________
Z/28 on order
991 GT3 on order
964 Turbo 3.6
E36 M3 LTW, S54 conversion track car
Tundra tow truck
32' Donzi for offshore
frayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
Van B
 
Drives: Black 2014 1LE 1SS RS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Caledonia, WI
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayed View Post
Any ideas on discounts for a CTF vehicle? With a car like this, this hot and some dealer gouging I have to wonder if there's much to save going CTF.
Many times GM will auction test cars, but brand them salvage because they do not want to hear about them again. Recently one of this 2012 ZL1 sold for $36,000 at Mecum after having been sold at a dealer auction. http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...=KC1213-169406

They don't come up often.
Van B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
Zfatuated

 
Drives: BAC Mono
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reno
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van B View Post
Many times GM will auction test cars, but brand them salvage because they do not want to hear about them again. Recently one of this 2012 ZL1 sold for $36,000 at Mecum after having been sold at a dealer auction. http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...=KC1213-169406

They don't come up often.
Interesting details:

"- Sold on Bill of Sale for Parts Only
- No transferable title will accompany the vehicle
- Scrap title in GM's name included
- This vehicle is not certified to comply with any federal state or local laws, rules or regulations and may not be driven on public roads"

So only two choices because you'll never be able to register it for street use:
Track car
Parts car
__________________
2014 Z/28, White
"I wasn't asked to make it cheap...I was asked to make it FAST!" Mark Stielow, the new Z/28.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #6
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!
 
Number 3's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,058
Generally CTF cars are salable. In some cases the need to be retrofit to the latest material and parts . If this is difficult or expensive the cars may get scrapped. In some cases they get used for other purposes such as becoming development propertiesfor future programs.

VIN Number 3 of the 2010 CTFs never made it to auction.

Most CTFs are intended to be sold. For brand new programs like the 2010 Camaro they build a few hundred units.
__________________
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." - Aldous Huxley Link to Every Camaro photo I've taken in Hi-Resolution
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775
 
FINALLYSATISFIED's Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1#206 (Sold) 6th Gen!?
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,382
In other words, buying a CTF isn't worth it.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!
 
Number 3's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
In other words, buying a CTF isn't worth it.
Not any different than buying a used car built early. VIN numbers can be a different series as they were with the 2010s, though.

There are some rare cases where employees are offered a chance to purchase. As I recall there were some fit issues that would have been difficult to retrofit but had no impact on the operation of the car. They were offered to employees for sale.
__________________
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." - Aldous Huxley Link to Every Camaro photo I've taken in Hi-Resolution

Last edited by Number 3; 04-15-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #9
Zfatuated

 
Drives: BAC Mono
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reno
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Not any different than buying a used car built early. VIN numbers can be a different series as they were with the 2010s, though.

There are some rare cases where employees are offered a chance to purchase. As I recall there were some fit issues that would have been difficult to retrofit but had no impact on the operation of the car. They were offered to employees for sale.
How should I reconcile your comments with those I posted above off of the ad for the car on the Mecum site?

Is this info in the ad wrong or simply not generally applicable to the CTF cars? A scrap/salvage title is obviously far different from buying a regular used car

"- Sold on Bill of Sale for Parts Only
- No transferable title will accompany the vehicle
- Scrap title in GM's name included
- This vehicle is not certified to comply with any federal state or local laws, rules or regulations and may not be driven on public roads"
__________________
2014 Z/28, White
"I wasn't asked to make it cheap...I was asked to make it FAST!" Mark Stielow, the new Z/28.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #10
Matze
German Representative
 
Matze's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Monroe, Michigan
Posts: 112
Member Chief Bob has a CTF ZL1, registered and street legal, ask him how he got it.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/member.php?u=21801
__________________
Mathias

Apex intake scoop, CAI intake, Vmax ported throttle body, Kooks LT headers, stock exhaust with NPP mufflers, BMR trailing arms, toe rods, cradle bushing inserts, Hex Vents, Factory Reproduction 41 20x9 and 20x10
Matze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #11
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 3,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
How should I reconcile your comments with those I posted above off of the ad for the car on the Mecum site?

Is this info in the ad wrong or simply not generally applicable to the CTF cars? A scrap/salvage title is obviously far different from buying a regular used car

"- Sold on Bill of Sale for Parts Only
- No transferable title will accompany the vehicle
- Scrap title in GM's name included
- This vehicle is not certified to comply with any federal state or local laws, rules or regulations and may not be driven on public roads"
As Number 3 mentioned in post #6, there are various reasons for various methods of disposal. It may have be accidented. It may have "test-only" parts on it. Another is, like certain "buy-back" vehicles, if the Manufacturer does NOT want the vehicle to be subject to the balance of the New Vehicle warranty, it can be sold off "As Is".

It doesn't have to be a CTF vehicle for that to happen. I bought a "hard-to-get" Camaro, years' back, that was in fact a "buy-back". It had been to the Tech Center more than once over what was finally deemed an "unfixable" problem. Resold "As Is-NO GM Warranty", 6 months old with 2,500 miles. Our chief tech fixed it in less than an hour (he'd pulled his hair out over a similar situation with another car, but finally solved that one...this one he "knew"!). Bought for 60 cents on the dollar, sold for 85 cents on the dollar...with a Third Party Warranty...and the customer is still VERY happy! Still owns it...

So the simple answer is: "It depends..."
__________________
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #12
Nickmo
 
Nickmo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 CTF#69
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 38
Not all CTF cars go salvage. Some of the CTF cars get miled out during testing and are destroyed or sold as salvage, others are sold to the dealerships.

My car is #69 of 69 ZL1 CTFs. It was owned by GM's media department and used for demos/car shows until early 2013. I bought it with around 2500 miles and got about $9000 off the price of a new 2013 ZL1 (just slightly better than other used 2012s I found). Came with 7 year bumper to bumper warranty from GM. Clear title.

I'd imagine the Z/28 CTFs will be hard to come by. My ZL1 sat under GMs owernership for well over a year after the production models started coming off the line and was worth about the same $$ as any other used ZL1

My $0.02, unless you're willing to buy salvage and rebuild, buy a used Z/28 rather than looking for a CTF
Nickmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #13
Zfatuated

 
Drives: BAC Mono
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reno
Posts: 832
Interesting. So the bottom line from what I gather from the comments is- caveat emptor. Read the fine print because any situation is possible.

What intrigues me is buying a Bill Of Sale car at fifty cents on the dollar to use for a dedicated track whore. That is a compelling value proposition, especially if you plan to molest it with a cage, halo seats and harnesses.
__________________
2014 Z/28, White
"I wasn't asked to make it cheap...I was asked to make it FAST!" Mark Stielow, the new Z/28.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #14
Van B
 
Drives: Black 2014 1LE 1SS RS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Caledonia, WI
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Interesting details:

"- Sold on Bill of Sale for Parts Only
- No transferable title will accompany the vehicle
- Scrap title in GM's name included
- This vehicle is not certified to comply with any federal state or local laws, rules or regulations and may not be driven on public roads"

So only two choices because you'll never be able to register it for street use:
Track car
Parts car
There is almost always a way to get something titled if you are determined enough. From the previous posts, some others seem to have some knowledge that I do not. All I know is that some particular test cars get sold as salvage at auction and they are usually $10k behind wholesale market. One I wouldn't mind modding...
Van B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #15
Van B
 
Drives: Black 2014 1LE 1SS RS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Caledonia, WI
Posts: 33
Oh and if any Z/28s end up at auction this way there's more than a good chance I'll own one.
Van B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:50 AM   #16
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775
 
FINALLYSATISFIED's Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1#206 (Sold) 6th Gen!?
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Not any different than buying a used car built early. VIN numbers can be a different series as they were with the 2010s, though.

There are some rare cases where employees are offered a chance to purchase. As I recall there were some fit issues that would have been difficult to retrofit but had no impact on the operation of the car. They were offered to employees for sale.
After what you said about CTF vehicles I'd pass. If I was some sort or experience tech that may be a different story but id rather not deal with the hassle and yes the lack of warranty, issues you already mentioned would be a hassle and time consuming if something were to happen. Something about having a clean title, I love to hear. Kudos to those being a GM employee getting a chance, they'd be keeping it in house shall any break downs arose. Smh.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:39 AM   #17
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!
 
Number 3's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
After what you said about CTF vehicles I'd pass. If I was some sort or experience tech that may be a different story but id rather not deal with the hassle and yes the lack of warranty, issues you already mentioned would be a hassle and time consuming if something were to happen. Something about having a clean title, I love to hear. Kudos to those being a GM employee getting a chance, they'd be keeping it in house shall any break downs arose. Smh.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. A CTF would come with the remainder of the factory warranties.

If GM sells them, and most of the time they do, it is the same as buying a used car.

I think they can stay in service for up to a year now so you would just be buying a year old car.

The biggest risk, if there is one, ins an all new car like the Camaro was back in 2009.

My point is that I'm not sure there is anything special about buying one vs another used Z/28.
__________________
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." - Aldous Huxley Link to Every Camaro photo I've taken in Hi-Resolution
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.