Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
JWild

Drives: 2010 black on black SS
Buying a motorcycle without title in hand

I have been in the market for a bike lately, I found a nice clean one at a good price on ebay, however before I sent the deposit I got this email, does this sound fishy to anyone?

-We have any issue with the title... i have only owned this bike since August 2010, and that is when i did my loan on it... I just called my bank to make an appt for us to come in and get the title at 10.30 Sat morn, and they told me that the state of CT is so backed up in issuing titles, that they dont have it yet. so essentially, a title for the bike doesnt exist yet. they said they will call DMV and see if they can have them rush order and send the title to them before Saturday, but they cant guarantee it. obviously this is a pretty big issue, i know i would have a hard time walking away from a vehicle purchase without title in hand.... at this rate the bank is working on getting the title asap, but may not have it by Saturday. Ill do whatever u are more comfortable with... if you want to come take the bike on Saturday, and the bank will overnight u the title as soon as they get it, you can do that.... or u can wait until the bank has the title and then take the bike and title togetehr...up to you.
Im comfortable letting you take the bike on saturday if you would like... ill even leave my plate on it for you, so you have a registered bike on your hands and can ride it.... then when the bank mails u the title, u can mail my plate back to me.
The bank can explain this in person to you on Sat also... so its not just some guy you never met over email! Let me know what you are comfortable with, and hopefully we can work it out... i dont want to lose the sale, and i you already got a loan, so you probably dont either.
Regarding who the check is made out to.... if the bank is an official check from a major institution(bank of america, citi, chase, etc...) then it can me made to me or the bank, and they will release title... if its from a a small local bank or credit union, and its made to me, they require it clears before they release title... at this point it may not matter, it sounds like they wont have the title for Saturday....
Let me know what you want to do man... im really sorry for the hold up... state of CT DMV is a mess... last car i bought, it took DMV almost 8 months to get me the title!
JWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
lightner75
LoneStar Camaro

Drives: 2010 cyber gray 2ss
doesn't sound fishy to me..He is willy to do what ever you want to do..However i would wait until you could or have title in hand before full payment was made..
lightner75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
It sounds like he is trying to be upfront about it. Do the deal in person. It sounds like you are going to pick it up from the guy. Is the seller established, ie older living on his own with family, or a 19 year old kid living with mom and dad? I agree, I would wait for the title in hand (or bank) to make payment.

What did you get bike wise?
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Warhead

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
If there is a loan on the bike then the bank will not release the title until the loan is paid in full. If you want the bike go to the bank with the seller. You would basicly be giving the bank what ever the balance of the loan is and anything above that to the seller, providing the selling price covers the loan. If not then seller need to make up that difference. Once all that is done the bank will do papers for DMV to release title to you.

I bought a bike couple years ago for $10k. Seller still owed $12k. I gave the bank my moneys then seller covered the remaining balance.
Warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
The DMV only charges like $10 to run plates and VINs. You could also run the VIN by the local PD. I just suggest this because their is the small chance that the bike is stolen if he doesn't have a title.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
JETG

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Sounds okay to me, especially since your doing business at a bank. Make sure the VIN and stuff goes with the bike, but should be okay. Get a note stating you bought the bike and that he owes you a clean and clear title.

J
JETG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
Simiar thing happened to me:

I bought a bike on Ebay in TX that the guy said was new and NEVER TITLED. Meaning, it still had the manufacture's title. Basically a brand new bike. Only problem is, I could not title it in my state until I had a TX title (the manufacturer's title wasn't good enough).

To get that, I had to pay HIS fukking sales tax because he refused. I sent him a check for the taxes and I finally got his TX title 6 months after I got the bike delivered to me. I could not legally ride the bike for 6 months. What a pain.

The lesson simple: Never buy a bike without a title. You will end up paying sales tax one way or the other, and in my case twice! (TX and FL).

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Never never buy a motor vehicle without a title, or if a non-title state a current registration and bill of sale. If you do and it turns out to be a hot box you can and will be charged with possesion of a stolen vehicle regardless of if you knew it was stolen or not. I am noy guessing at this I have seen it many times.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhead View Post
If there is a loan on the bike then the bank will not release the title until the loan is paid in full. If you want the bike go to the bank with the seller. You would basicly be giving the bank what ever the balance of the loan is and anything above that to the seller, providing the selling price covers the loan. If not then seller need to make up that difference. Once all that is done the bank will do papers for DMV to release title to you.

I bought a bike couple years ago for $10k. Seller still owed $12k. I gave the bank my moneys then seller covered the remaining balance.
... What he said.

Call the Bank, verify his story. If he's telling the truth, make sure the bank is paid off, don't just give him a wad of cash and expect him to pay it off. BOTH of you go to the bank, pay off the note, let the bank send YOU the title.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
We have any issue with the title... i have only owned this bike since August 2010, and that is when i did my loan on it... I just called my bank to make an appt for us to come in and get the title at 10.30 Sat morn, and they told me that the state of CT is so backed up in issuing titles, that they dont have it yet. so essentially, a title for the bike doesnt exist yet.
Run my friend. It's always amazing how these titling/loan issues come up AFTER you win the auction.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #11
Dave Coyle

Drives: 2010 SS , 1970 Z-28, 2002 Avalanche
Is the bike in your state/area? I would go to his bank, verify the bank has a lien on the title with the right vin number, make sure that when the bank gets the "pay-off" money that you will get the title, then I would do the deal but make sure your money goes to the bank not the guy who has the bike. There are so many scams on E-bay, Craigslist, etc. that I would walk very carefully when buying anything!!!!
Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers/Hi-Flo Cats/Corsa Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI / Port Intake
Precission 2400/2800 Converter/3.73 AAM gears
Livernois Motorsports Tune

Best time: 11.97 @ 117 MPH
Dave Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Happens in AZ all the time if you have a loan on a vehicle. Sounds legit just wait until you have the title.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #13
Cbrenthus

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
You have a few options:

1, call around to bike shops and see if anyone will do the deal. Sometimes you can find a dealer that will charge a flat rate. Basically, they take the bike in like they would a trade, and then sell it to you at the same time. They give you a temp tag and bill of sale and everything, and when the title comes in they finish up the paperwork.

2. Go with what the guy says. You can do what you want here, but I wouldn't pay any money until the bank has the title. I do find it a little fishy that the state hasn't issued a title for a bike purchased in August.
Cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #14
JWild

Drives: 2010 black on black SS
Thanks for the advice, I just called the Bank and they couldn't give me any specific information, but they did confirm that the CT DMV is backed 6 months or more when it comes to issuint titles to the bank.
JWild is offline   Reply With Quote