Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-28-2008, 06:27 PM   #183
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Won't change my mind.....our Avalanche will be paid off next month and the new Camaro take its spot in the budget.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #184
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Seems I saw 15,000 thru Q3 somewhere. Regardless, on the up side, 6k is not even 1/3 of 20k, meaning the remaining 2/3+ may be the lesser enthusiasts ordering the V6. If 84% of the total 20K were V8s I'd be more worried.

Whoa, I didn't read Scott's post before writing that ^^^^above...nevermind! My mind has been eased.

And, TStko, how does the SS buyer that backs out of buying that preorder car at the dealership help the rest of us preorder guys?

2SS/RS Black/Black w-Cyber Gray stripes/Auto ordered-10/18/08

Last edited by Rodrunner; 10-29-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Rodrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #185
Tantalizer43

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
Won't change my mind.....our Avalanche will be paid off next month and the new Camaro take its spot in the budget.
Same exact boat! Except replace the Avalanche with a different SUV.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #186
Justcallme61

Drives: 2000 honda accord v6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
It sounds to me like they are being very conservative with their production numbers. They don't want to ramp up to produce 80-100k cars per year and struggle to sell them all. It will take time to get all these pre-orders out but I think the first 20,000 will likely be built by mid-summer time, and if they only build 25% v8's then the 5000 SS orders would easily be delivered by that time. The v6 mix will come up once they start advertising the car, and especially when people can see the car for themselves at the dealership. Be patient, I know I am trying to be.
I agree. With how bad car companies are doing these days, I think it would definitely be smart to take it slow and see how well it sells the first year. They can't afford to lose anymore money. If they sell almost all of the 2010's, it will probably be ramped up a lot for 2011.

At this point I don't really care how it's split, I just want them all to be sold so GM can make some money. Considering almost nobody but enthusiasts know about the Camaro yet, I'd say these numbers are looking pretty good so far. V6 sales will definitely catch up, and surpass V8 sales, when they get onto the lots.
Justcallme61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #187
Gomerr

Drives: 1991 Honda Civic
just like everyone else...and every other forum...i just gotta say it.

who was right? who called it and told everyone to shutup and keep it down since its so far from production it could be a rumor? or in this GREAT instance a GM employee who misspoke?

Gomerr. Gomerr Pyle...

and yes, fbod has confirmed popcorn will come standard in the backseat colored to the paint you choose.

so let it be known, gomerr is about as spot on GM rumors as fbodfather is to clearing up the drama

now wheres the damn "iwin" button...
Gomerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #188
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I think Fbodfather has earned the nickname "chief", because he has always responded at the right moment to put out fires, big and small.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #189
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
If I understand what Scott is saying, not so much as can't, they won't ....
I'll have to disagree with you. If you look at supply chain, it becomes clear why they have to maintain their expected mix pretty close throughout the production cycle. It's the suppliers. If you're expecting to produce 25000 V8's, you'll need 200,000 piston heads. The manufacturer of those piston heads will look at the expected total and BUDGET and build to meet the defined anticipated delivery schedule. If GM required the order be 30-40% front loaded, the unit cost would be higher as the manufacturer would have additional costs during the 'artificially high' production period.

But I'm just guessing...and I've been wrong more than a few times.
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #190
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
at Indy they told us the #'s have been steadily increasing...hp was going to "most likely creep up from there" meaning the 422hp LS3. There was a lot. I know that's what has been put up so far...and that is RIGHT...according to GM and the solid proven #'s they have right now. But, we were told they have gone faster. So, it's more of a wait and we'll see thing.

Welcome to the site SScattergunSS and thanks for jumping in! Glad to have you aboard!

Those are some pretty good #'s, huh!

This is where I need headpunter...or Hylton...to refresh my memory. I remember being told the LS3 went 4.6....right headpunter? Hope I'm right on this....
4.6 was Al's personal best in a manual 6 SS. He stated to me you would be able to get a couple of tick off of that. And for ¼ mile times, what he told me put a huge smile on my face. Let's just say there are going to be a lot of stock GT500 owners with there bottom jaws on the ground… She’s fast boys, real fast…

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #191
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
4.6 was Al's personal best in a manual 6 SS. He stated to me you would be able to get a couple of tick off of that. And for ¼ mile times, what he told me put a huge smile on my face. Let's just say there are going to be a lot of stock GT500 owners with there bottom jaws on the ground… She’s fast boys, real fast…
Very encouraging, especially considering there are sure to be SC kit's out there that'll probably put down at least 500 to the ground.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:34 PM   #192
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
OK..once again - calm down.

(and I NEED TO CALM down because I want to wring the person's neck that put this message out to dealers -- and the person within the dealership that put the message out to YOU.......)

FIRST -- the number of units mentioned that we will produce is WRONG........we'll build more units than that barring any unforseen circumstances or work stoppages. (and I put that last line in there because NO ONE knows what will happen tomorrow.......)

SECOND -- we want each of you behind the steering wheel of your new Camaro........MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT..........LET ME SAY THAT AGAIN -- MAKE --- NO -- MISTAKE -- ABOUT -- IT...............
(...now go read it again!)

THIRD-- anyone who has any production planning management experience will understand that you do NOT tool to build 100 percent of anything when you offer choices -- NO ONE DOES . Let me say that again NO -- ONE -- DOES.............

The hardest thing (In my opinion) that we have to do is to forecast option load.........and I dare anyone on here to predict what the car will sell in terms of option load in the 2011 model year -

We are in FINE SHAPE right now. IF -- and that's a HUGE 'IF" the orders HAD come in at 100% SS -- and EVERY allocation had been spoken for (and that has not happened....) then we'd have some concern..........

So -- calm down.

Not everyone at GM is a walking moron.

Don't believe everything you read --esp. when you have no idea of the source.

REPEAT AFTER ME: WE WANT YOU BEHIND THE STEERING WHEELS OF YOUR NEW CAMAROS...............

Now -- one more favor:

DURING THE NEXT 'PANIC DU JOUR' -- (which, I'm confident will happen within the next few minutes........)

..........would you PLEASE just STOP for a minute and think:

"........Perhaps -- just perhaps -- GM has done this for many years -- and perhaps - just perhaps -- they know what they're doing -- and perhaps --just perhaps they DO care about us as evidenced by Fbodfather coming out here and calming us down every other day............."

and then think:

" I'd better be careful or Fbodfather just MAY have a stroke and die and IF he DIES he's gonna come back to haunt me with an entire fleet of black Suburbans...........and my life will be 'kaakaa'......"

So......let's PLEASE -- (I'm begging you......) STOP with the "Panic Du Jours"..........please?????

Thank you!

Now -- back to our regularly scheduled programming..........
REPEAT AFTER ME: WE WANT YOU BEHIND THE STEERING WHEELS OF YOUR NEW CAMAROS...............

Scott, how many times do I have to say it before my Camaro appears in my garage??? Or do I need the "Magic Ruby Slippers" to help me out??? :runs and hides:

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:01 AM   #193
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
and WTF is a piston head?????

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:20 AM   #194
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Old 10-29-2008, 08:06 AM   #195
wirewilly

Drives: 96 Eldorado
YTD I lost $122,000 in my 401k. Wife says "SS is officially OFF" It's been real guys, but
I'm movin' on.
wirewilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:50 AM   #196
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewilly View Post
YTD I lost $122,000 in my 401k. Wife says "SS is officially OFF" It's been real guys, but
I'm movin' on.
what makes you think it won't improve by spring?

Trust me - I looked at mine and nearly cried....but I also think we'll see a rally in early spring..........
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote