Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Runawayhacker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Cleaning the inside windshield and rear windshield

Man, I don't think they could make it more difficult. As far as reaching the steep slope, I've used the invisible glass hand cleaner tool

But it only worked so-so. I've used microfiber cloths, paper towels, and the blue workshop towels. I've used Invisible Glass, ArmorAll... a variety of glass cleaners. No matter how I clean it I am ALWAYS left with streaks. The inside gets really bad when the chemicals from the dash cook off in the sun.

Anyone have a pro-tip on how best clean these steep slopes and what to use?
Runawayhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
I do use the same one you have there, but I always make sure my towels are clean because a towel that was not clean right will leave streaks on any glass. Here's a " How To " from our section of guides that will help you.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
First, gather your materials. A good glass cleaner (Meg's D120, Stoners, Adam's, etc.) good glass cloth (Dragon Fiber cloth) and a plush microfiber cloth (I like Zaino Blonde here).

For the windshield, get in the passenger seat and kind of lie down. This will give you a comfortable angle at which to use your right hand to clean the window. Spray the cloth, then wipe the window. Immediately buff dry with your plush cloth to prevent streaks.

Works wonders.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
Old 10-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
First, gather your materials. A good glass cleaner (Meg's D120, Stoners, Adam's, etc.) good glass cloth (Dragon Fiber cloth) and a plush microfiber cloth (I like Zaino Blonde here).

For the windshield, get in the passenger seat and kind of lie down. This will give you a comfortable angle at which to use your right hand to clean the window. Spray the cloth, then wipe the window. Immediately buff dry with your plush cloth to prevent streaks.

Works wonders.

Excellent advice!

With interior glass I usually go over it at least twice, particularly the front and rear glass.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
Bucci
Bucci

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Backlite

When cleaning your backlite on the inside do not use anything that could corrode metal. The heater grid is made of silver oxide and it will be damaged.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
I've got nothing to add except I like to clean the windows on the inside in one direction (up down), and the windows on the outside in another direction (right left), so that if there are streaks, I know which side they are coming from.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Forte

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS CGM W/ Black Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
I've got nothing to add except I like to clean the windows on the inside in one direction (up down), and the windows on the outside in another direction (right left), so that if there are streaks, I know which side they are coming from.

Thats actually an incredibly useful tip...

Thank you!
Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
Forte

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS CGM W/ Black Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post

Works wonders.

Great, off to buy more stuff because of one of your posts! LOL

Thanks again for all of the help
Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte View Post
Thats actually an incredibly useful tip...

Thank you!
Haha glad to help. Streaks, especially window streaks, are insanely frustrating. Finding a method to deal with them helps my details go much smoother

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Todd was on the money with the cleaning them twice suggestion. Invisible glass actually says this on the bottle. If I clean mine just once I have streaks, but if I clean them twice I rarely have any. No matter how clean I thought I got the first time, I still have streaks unless I clean them again. Of course they're really filmed up by the time I clean them because inside glass is my least favorite thing to clean.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
Bucci
Bucci

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Cleaning tip

Fantastic cleaning tip
Old 12-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
The key is getting them completely DRY with the towels after you apply the cleaner. If there is ANY liquid film at all still present on the class surface when you quit wiping it will show up as streaks. Basically what you need to do is "polish" off the cleaner the same way you'd take wax off the paint.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte View Post
Great, off to buy more stuff because of one of your posts! LOL

Thanks again for all of the help
I always have too laugh at all the "stuff" everyone here on camaro5 runs out and buys at every suggestion.
Nothing cleans glass better than Windex and newspaper. Start with a damp or wet cotton towel to
remove most of the film. Then follow up with Windex and newspaper and any streaks will be gone.
Old fashioned and guaranteed.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #14
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
Clean when windshield is cool and unexposed to direct sun. I have best luck with clean paper towels as most other cloths are treated and those washed in your dryer may have chemicals from fabric softners and the like which will streak big time.

Tags
clean, steep, window windshield