Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
Q8Y

Drives: '12 F150
Clear bra or good detailing?

My car is arriving in the next few and I'm thinking of getting the clear bra installed full hood which come in one piece so no visible lines cost around 1000 bucks for ventureshield including side mirrors-front fascia back fender...and everything else (the normal one cost 580$) or just do a full detailing my self every 4-5 months and that's that.Please help give me your suggestions thanks in advance

Ps. we have a ventureshield certified dealer+installer and several 3m shops

Q Has anyone heard or tried Diamondbrite paint protection???
Old 10-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Go with VentureShield Ultra. Detailing your car will not stop rock chips and abrasions so it would be wise to get the clear bra.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
Susantroy1
To All Veterans

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
Go with VentureShield Ultra. Detailing your car will not stop rock chips and abrasions so it would be wise to get the clear bra.

if you can afford it
Susantroy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:11 AM   #4
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susantroy1 View Post
if you can afford it
So you can afford a $30,000+ car and cant afford $700 more to take care of it and keep it looking new??? Maybe you shouldnt be driving a car like this if you dont have any money left over after making payments. Its probably well beyond your means and you should have got something more affordable until you could have saved up.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
Tyrell Industries

Drives: IOM 2SS
Quote:
So you can afford a $30,000+ car and cant afford $700 more to take care of it and keep it looking new??? Maybe you shouldnt be driving a car like this if you dont have any money left over after making payments. Its probably well beyond your means and you should have got something more affordable until you could have saved up.
Some people don't have money coming out of the waazoo
Tyrell Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
Susantroy1
To All Veterans

Quote:
Not everyone is in the same financial position as you seem to think they should be. There are alternatives to what you provide for a service for example... instead of paying you $700-1K the day I get my Camaro (geez I sure hope I can afford it.... Maybe I should ask my financial adviser if it is a wise choice, wait a minute.... maybe you can advise all of us that really have no idea of what we can afford or what we can't) could wait for 3+ yrs and decide to re shoot the front end of the car (if needed). My decision (see how that works) and I don't have to come out of pocket as soon as I receive the car. Maybe I don't care for the lines your product leaves on the hood or body panels. Try not to be so demeaning to potential customers if you where to show a little more perhaps folks may not prejudge you.... as you seem to do
Old 10-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susantroy1 View Post
Not everyone is in the same financial position as you seem to think they should be. There are alternatives to what you provide for a service for example... instead of paying you $700-1K the day I get my Camaro (geez I sure hope I can afford it.... Maybe I should ask my financial adviser if it is a wise choice, wait a minute.... maybe you can advise all of us that really have no idea of what we can afford or what we can't) could wait for 3+ yrs and decide to re shoot the front end of the car (if needed). My decision (see how that works) and I don't have to come out of pocket as soon as I receive the car. Maybe I don't care for the lines your product leaves on the hood or body panels. Try not to be so demeaning to potential customers if you where to show a little more perhaps folks may not prejudge you.... as you seem to do
I wasnt trying to prejudge but if your telling me you are buying a brand new car, paying 30k+ for it, then you should be able to afford to take care of it properly... which falls back to what the original poster in this thread was looking for... advice on taking care of it properly. Waxing a car will not stop rock chips... so I stated my point. Buying a new car should not stretch someon t othe point where they should be sweating $1000 the day they pick it up. If they/you are, then any financial advisor in this country will tell you that you can not afford this car and should save up more first or buy a mroe affordable car. Its common sense...

As far as your other two argumments go, well get the full hood done. Then there are no lines. If you want to wait for 3 years and then respray the car... more power to you. Good luck matching the color... not to mention all the time you will be without your car. Oh and enjoy looking at rock chips on your vehicle everyday for the next 3 years. I have seen numerous Camaros already with less than a thousand miles and they are getting chipped up. You can thank the environmental protection agency for that. But I am getting away from the point here... which was what the original poster, Q8Y, was looking for. Get the film immediately after you recieve your car and you never have anything to worry about.

I wasnt trying to be demeaning but your post contributed zero to this thread... so maybe it would have been a good time to not reply to it or at least offer something helpful. He already stated the $1000 and the full hood option...so obviousely he has already thought about what you commented on before you even made them.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrell Industries View Post
Some people don't have money coming out of the waazoo
I for one buy what I can afford, put film on every car I purchase, and end up getting a higher resale value out of them because they are in near perfect condition when I trade them in. For one respraying your car really hurts resale value because it shows there was damage... to what extent the dealership truly will never know... and two it is almost impossible to get a perfect match especially with todays exotic colors they are using (Cyber Grey, Atomic Orange, Imperial Blue... ). The dealership also wont have to get the car "touched up" or resprayed after taking the trade in thus cutting their costs and increasing the money that you can receive back. but hey this is all just my .02

Last edited by htp autoworks; 10-11-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
Q8Y

Drives: '12 F150
I'm sorry Susantroy1 but htp autoworks is right money is not the issue here but thanks anyway.
The base of my question is some shops here claims that there products (sealents,wax) is good enough for protection there's no need for the bra one of them is a shop sells diamondbrite http://www.jewelultra.co.uk/ and according to him this is even better than the Films>>>
thnks to your replies I'm leaning towards the clear bra which bring me to the next question:
ventureshield, 3m Scotchgard™ or Llumar???
Old 10-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #10
UCI CamaroFan
Zot!

Drives: Toyota 4Runner
Oil money is good, right?

I guess a clear bra would be the best bet for you because of all the sand you have to deal with. From what I hear, driving through an area with a lot of sand is the equivalent to sand blasting your car.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q8Y View Post
I'm sorry Susantroy1 but htp autoworks is right money is not the issue here but thanks anyway.
The base of my question is some shops here claims that there products (sealents,wax) is good enough for protection there's no need for the bra one of them is a shop sells diamondbrite http://www.jewelultra.co.uk/ and according to him this is even better than the Films>>>
thnks to your replies I'm leaning towards the clear bra which bring me to the next question:
ventureshield, 3m Scotchgard™ or Llumar???
Yes I will say from first hand experience that I have driven through Qatar and Kuwait (deployments when I was in the Air Force) and the sand will really eat away at your paint. As far as a sealant goes I have yet to hear of one that really works well. But I am sure there are a lot of things out there that I dont know about so the possibility is there. If they are willing to stand behind there product and warranty your paint after application then its worth a try. I would have it in writing first though.

If you do decide to go with VentureShield I do recommend getting a sealant for the film. it will help protect it and keep anything from penetrating into the film since it is porous. Keep us posted on how things go. If this Diamondbright works I would be interested in trying it out.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
I got the front bumper, 12" on the hood and the mirros coverd.. coast to me was 900.

I love the clear bra. One of the best "mods" I done to the car. It's so nice not worrying about scratching the paint while scrubbing the bug guts off.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #13
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
I'm already getting pricing for the VentureShield in San Diego. I already have 4-5 nicks on the front spoiler/bumper; one that went up the hood, and one on the passenger lower part of the door :(

Zaino is good, but it ain't that good!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #14
Susantroy1
To All Veterans

Quote:
the original poster of this thread did not make any reference to whether he could afford it or not.
My point exactly.... Folks have to decide whether or not to make that type of investment. In making that decision... $$ will be a contributing factor. My OP simply was a confirmation stating that. If $$ amount for the product is a lower concern and they feel that the product will provide them with the protection an outweighs the in ital cost than they may decide to make the choice. However; If $$ amount is a greater concern for them and or their driving environment may not be as severe or their car is a weekend warrior or for whatever reason..., than they may choose not to purchase the product. Which by the way, IS totally appropriate for the thread.
Simply stating; it might be offensive to some folks for you to assume that if they choose not to purchase the product because one factor in their decision making process might be cost $$ then they somehow can't afford a 30k car? Is an assumption which will offend. Which is what I was stating in my second post. Simply stating the obveious... Cost will always come into the decision as to whether to get the product or not.

Quote:
I for one buy what I can afford, put film on every car I purchase, and end up getting a higher resale value out of them because they are in near perfect condition when I trade them in.
Thats great! and may be a factor in their decision making process as to purchase the product or not. again you "buy what you can afford" (cost decision)

Don't take it personal... Just pointing out that assumptions on your part may put some folks off.