Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #869
Highland Ranger

Drives: 2014 CRT Convertible ZL1
Big difference between act of God ( lightning) and the dealers negligence in not hiring responsible people. Even if there is no criminal venue, I'd imagine they are civilly responsible. But all that aside, business who don't do the right thing get punished. These guys will lose many times the value of a whole zl1 let alone the delta between insurance settlement and new car values. Because bottom line the people who feel the dealer is correct are in the minority. Maybe numbering as few as the employees of the dealer.

( so fess up - you're from Delaware right?)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #870
basecar

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red RS
You would think the dealership would out of good faith and show of good business to other customers would replace the vehicle with a new one. What is a few thousand to the dealer, nothing compaired to what they could reap from the publicity of a good deed. They should have at the very least offiered a new car for replacement for a few thousand. Either way it would be a win for the dealer.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #871
1badtie

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
You are not a very professional EMS, taking pictures of an accident then posting them on the internet... I don't think that's right

2010 2SS RS --- SOLD
MODS-
Performance: BMR trailing arms & bushings | BMR Toe links | X-pipe | Muffler delete | Vmax ported throttle body | Apex "strong" MAS | Vararam CAI | Apex catch can | Kooks Headers | Kooks HF Cats | Dyno tuned by GPI 417 RWHP 409 FT-Lb
Cosmetic: painted Zl1 rockers | Zl1 grill | AAC side markers | AAC LED backup lights | windows tint | taillight tint | JDP tow hook | all emblems blacked out | LED fogs
Old 01-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #872
TenaciousRock

Drives: 1999 Pontiac Firebird Formula
A lot of EMS/fire dept volunteers etc take pictures of scenes after the situation is under control.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #873
Schmo Z

Drives: IOM ZL1
Even if he settles it sounds like the dealer wants him to "buy" the car from them after the ins payout. Does Delaware not have a sales tax and title fee. Who pays that on a $45,000.00 car? Sounds like a screw job for the victim, just like everything else. Bigger, more money, and a business wins again.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #874
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper View Post
The OP bought the car NEW and it was destroyed while in possession of the dealership. The destruction was not an act of God. Why should he have to settle for a used car that someone else drove for 10k miles ?
So what, then, if he had 60k miles on the car? A brand new car is expecting way too much. I'd give him one, but that's because I'd want to go above and beyond. But to say the dealer OWES a brand new car is just ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Ranger View Post
Big difference between act of God ( lightning) and the dealers negligence in not hiring responsible people. Even if there is no criminal venue, I'd imagine they are civilly responsible. But all that aside, business who don't do the right thing get punished. These guys will lose many times the value of a whole zl1 let alone the delta between insurance settlement and new car values. Because bottom line the people who feel the dealer is correct are in the minority. Maybe numbering as few as the employees of the dealer.

I have not seen anyone yet who says the dealer is correct. Only that the 'liable' expectations in this thread are overboard.

And once again, is it OK for an employer to consider docking everyones pay for a loss like this to offset the cost? Why don't they all share the liability? Is a business owner held to a higher standard because they are somehow over privileged?
Old 01-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #875
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmo Z View Post
Even if he settles it sounds like the dealer wants him to "buy" the car from them after the ins payout. Does Delaware not have a sales tax and title fee. Who pays that on a $45,000.00 car? Sounds like a screw job for the victim, just like everything else. Bigger, more money, and a business wins again.
How does the business win by charging sales tax and title?

And what's so wrong with the dealer wanting the car to be bought from them to recoup some insurance losses? As long as the customer get's an equivilent car.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #876
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Ranger View Post
Big difference between act of God ( lightning) and the dealers negligence in not hiring responsible people.

That's a pretty big assumption. How do we know he wasn't a good employee? Maybe he had keys to the dealership because he opened it up every morning.

Look, I'm in no way trying to defend this dealer. I just think before we go accusing him of negligence we need to know more facts, and to my knowledge the only fact we know about the former employee is that he used very, very poor judgement that Sunday afternoon.

To answer you question I'm not from Delaware.

Last edited by hawk02; 01-11-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #877
Schmo Z

The dealer does not win the car owner gets screwed. Why? The dealer needs to secure the keys for their cars. Sounds like that may not of happened if a service writer had access to them on a Sunday. A little side note on the dealer. They have a new Vet on their web site and want 25K over sticker. Hmmmm. If the dealer would of been up front with the customer and offered a new13 this would of been done with. And costs the dealer maybe 6-8 grand. Instead they will walk away with absolutely no loss at all for something they should have some liability in.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #878
CobraBall

Drives: Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
What else is there to know?

Mr. Hooper still doesn't have a new ZL1. This happened last month.

this is a total FAIL by First State, First State's insurance company, and GM
Why does everyone here think he deserves a new car?

His ZL1 was worth, at best, $47kish. A new ZL1 is what, almost $60k?

He deserves to have what he lost replaced. He DOES NOT deserve an upgrade. That is not the way compensatory situations work.

Personally, I don't know why he didn't just take the insurance money and start looking for a different/used ZL1. I'd love to hear the other side of this story because I'm sure it's compelling.

It's a Camaro, not a Ferrari. It's never going to be worth a gold mine. Let's get that notion out of our heads right now.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #879
Schmo Z

If the dealers ins gives him 44k for the car like it states, then I guess the negative press and the people's word will make up the other 16k and then some. Bad choice by dealer not to step up. People read this stuff and won't go there to purchase anything, oh well sucks to be them.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #880
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
The dealer does not win the car owner gets screwed. Why? The dealer needs to secure the keys for their cars. Sounds like that may not of happened if a service writer had access to them on a Sunday. A little side note on the dealer. They have a new Vet on their web site and want 25K over sticker. Hmmmm. If the dealer would of been up front with the customer and offered a new13 this would of been done with. And costs the dealer maybe 6-8 grand. Instead they will walk away with absolutely no loss at all for something they should have some liability in.
Well I assure you businesses HATE sales tax. It drives me crazy to have to charge my clients sales tax when they buy product. Cost goes up and they become less likely to buy.

And I agree with you on the rest other than the liability in this case as presented. If I have an employee with a perfect record, great credit and been with me for years that snaps, even after hours, how is that my fault? How is that my 'negligence'?

Keep in mind, if the dealer WAS in fact negligent then I'm with you but there is not evidence of that here. Not yet.

Let businesses make their own decision and fail when they make bad ones. Let the general public secure their own insurance and protect themselves.

The vast majority of businesses have very thin profit margins and very steep liabilities. I'm giving the dealer the benefit of the doubt because we do NOT know all of the facts.

If I were the ultimate decider in this case I'd rule for the dealers insurance to cover the market value of the car and nothing more.

If it were my dealership the OP MIGHT have posted his story but only to tell people how happy he was with me despite a crazy ex-employee.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #881
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
If the dealers ins gives him 44k for the car like it states, then I guess the negative press and the people's word will make up the other 16k and then some. Bad choice by dealer not to step up. People read this stuff and won't go there to purchase anything, oh well sucks to be them.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #882
BHW7

Drives: 2010 2SS
I do business with First State and the so called wrecked offer replacement car has a clean history report. It appears after a few calls it was found out a Ford dealer in the area had replaced the front bumper cover as the result of a parking lot type bump or bruise. Nothing more. So the offer made was 2012 car with 13k miles new rubber all around, 1 year warranty extension thru Certified program and $4000 of goodwill to do with as Hoopers pleased. Car also had more equipment in the form of moonroof and polished wheels. Sounds fair in my book

Closed Thread

Tags
1st state chevrolet, stealership, stolen, totaled, wrecked, zl1