Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Headers or Gears, L99

Ok this kind of falls into 2 forums groups so thought I would just put it in the general.

Which one of these upgrades would make a L99 a more fun street car? Most my driving is in town but I do some highway from time to time. Was wondering LP 370 gears or Long Tube Headers? I know headers and tune would give me some more get up and go, but gears may be better and I am not messing with the motor.

Give me your thoughts.

Thanks ahead of time.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
Your car will feel more torqy with gears and you'll have a blast street driving with them. Headers make the car sound more mean, which can be fun, but almost makes the car feel a little more doggy (which is weird, because you gain power from it).

Go with the gears, you will have way more fun.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Getting a good set of gears is kinda hard and can get expensive if the set isn't good. Plus it will KILL your MPGs. Yea, I know we didn't buy these cars for MPGs. Headers will add some power and also sound and make the car a bit lighter. If tuned it can make a world of difference on the L99.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
InfernoSS454

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
Getting a good set of gears is kinda hard and can get expensive if the set isn't good. Plus it will KILL your MPGs. Yea, I know we didn't buy these cars for MPGs. Headers will add some power and also sound and make the car a bit lighter. If tuned it can make a world of difference on the L99.
X2
Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Headers all day.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
DarkFox1

Drives: 2012 2SS A6
Isn't this like comparing $1500 vs $3000 or more?

Gears are good for times and overall off the line but are goin to overall hurt your economy.

For a daily driver, I'd say headers.. plus they're CONSIDERABLY cheaper as far as I know... and way easier to install yourself in the garage.
DarkFox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
cybercoaster

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anv, 1972 RS
I have LT Headers and put 3.73 gears on later. The gears made driving crazy, talk about spinning the tires all the time woohoo. However I did just put 555r on and they stick pretty good. It did not make a HUGE difference in MPG. I think RPM runs about 2k at 65mph.
cybercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
kr juice 1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
Op thanks for posting this question. I have been wondering what my next mod would be. Appreciate the members feedback. I knew i wanted to go with headers just didn't know for sure to do next.
kr juice 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
A whole lotta mis-information in this thread....Headers and gears are two completely different elements.

Gears: will add an incredible amount of torque, and while it will not show on the dyno.. it will feel like you just threw in something crazy in your car. As soon as I felt one with gears, I was kinda mad at myself for not doing them before the cam.

Downside to gears: One poster mentioned MPG. Not at a terrible rate.. you may lose 1-2 mpg on the highway. City does not seem to be influenced much by it. You will burn through rubber quickly lol... If not broken in properly they can whine. If you want to do it right, you will need to go LPE. LPE is expensive. 1800 in parts/fluid plus install costs.

Headers: Incredible... INCREDIBLE sound. The best thing you can do for sound outside of a cam... Headers do not make the car feel "doggy". You need to re-check your tune. Not only did my car "wake up", I improved 2-3 mpg city after my tune for efficiency by Tampa Tuning. Headers will run you 1400 with cats, 1000 without.. the tune will put you down around 250 for street 500 for dyno. With install you are looking at around the 2k range. Neither are cheap...

Downside to headers: NONE! except losing your warranty because they will require a tune to remove the CEL. The headers to date have been my favorite purchase and that includes the purchase of my cam/LS3 swap.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
Biscuitpie

Drives: '11 Cammed LS3, '14 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
A whole lotta mis-information in this thread....Headers and gears are two completely different elements.

Gears: will add an incredible amount of torque, and while it will not show on the dyno.. it will feel like you just threw in something crazy in your car. As soon as I felt one with gears, I was kinda mad at myself for not doing them before the cam.

Downside to gears: One poster mentioned MPG. Not at a terrible rate.. you may lose 1-2 mpg on the highway. City does not seem to be influenced much by it. You will burn through rubber quickly lol... If not broken in properly they can whine. If you want to do it right, you will need to go LPE. LPE is expensive. 1800 in parts/fluid plus install costs.

Headers: Incredible... INCREDIBLE sound. The best thing you can do for sound outside of a cam... Headers do not make the car feel "doggy". You need to re-check your tune. Not only did my car "wake up", I improved 2-3 mpg city after my tune for efficiency by Tampa Tuning. Headers will run you 1400 with cats, 1000 without.. the tune will put you down around 250 for street 500 for dyno. With install you are looking at around the 2k range. Neither are cheap...

Downside to headers: NONE! except losing your warranty because they will require a tune to remove the CEL. The headers to date have been my favorite purchase and that includes the purchase of my cam/LS3 swap.
I bought OBX (haters gonna hate) headers catless and did it myself so around $400 without a tune...

SOLD with a Z06 in the not too distant future: Cammed, boltons, axles, lowered, and more. | 476 WHP
Biscuitpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
68vert

Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post

+1
In 3 months I will have lived with my L99 having ARH LT's and Richmond 3.73 gears. I have zero complaints. I had both installed at the same time, among disabling the AFM, new tune and other mods. My gas mileage dropped 1 mpg afterwards. (Proven on a 500+ mile trip before and after mods)

You might feel the difference with LT, but you will absolutely feel the gears.
Do both
Old 04-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I am totally happy with my gears. I have the L99, so I decided to go with the LPE 3.70 gears. They are made by AAM (same company that makes the OEM gears) so they are just like stock, only a better ratio. The grand total for parts, fluids and install was a little shy of $1800. Although the gears don't make your engine produce any more TQ, they multiply the existing TQ, so you get a hell of a lot more TQ through the wheels.

It seems like everyone and their brother on the forum has LT headers. I'm sure the gains are nice, but the problem around here is emissions testing, so I'm not sure I wanna mess around with all that stuff.

The gears are great for driving around town, and 6th gear pulls a lot harder on the highway. I can give it half throttle or less from a stoplight, and the car wants to blast off.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
mpyle007

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS L99
Both are great modifications. I love my TSP headers and high flow cats. No emission problems. I do want to do gears once I get more power to the ground properly. Im not into burning rubber, I like to make sure it sticks so I blast forward.

With that said, get more power to the ground by doing suspension mods first. I should have done this when I was stock. Car would be faster right away.
GMPP axle back exhaust system
Custom Dyno tune by ARD (Advanced Racing Dynamics)
BMR 1.4" Springs all four corners

"There is no replacement for displacement"
mpyle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #14
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post

WHile not cheap, it will not KILL your milage. I am running 3.91s in my L99 and I average 22 mpg on the highway. Before the gears I was getting 24......... I also added a Maggie with the gears so I went from roughly 400 crank HP to around 680 crank HP and lost 2 mpg on the highway at 70 mph cruise speeds.

I would also say that I probably gained 1 mpg in town driving with the lower gears so the claim that it KILLS your milage is simply not accurate. Now if your doing burn outs all the time you will loose milage.

If you want a milage car, I would recommend looking at something else....

Key to getting gears is having them installed properly. I went with a complete JRE differential ready to drop into my car, cost more but got much more then just gears, got the posi upgrade and also the billet main caps as well.

Headers sound cool and I would recommend them as well but they can take away a bit from low end torque because they free up the back pressure on the engine. Not much but I believe that is why most feel their cars feel sluggish after installing headers on a stock engine tune.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote