Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
2011 SS

Drives: 2011 SS M6, LT's, CAI, SLP LM II's.
Pzero nero all seasons any good?

I wasnt aware that the stock pzeros couldnt be used under.45 (oops ive been driving in 19 degree weather) so looking to change are these tires good traction wise? How many miles can I get outta em?
2011 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
These don't come in a SS friendly size. Most are running either General Gmax, Conti Extreme DWS or Yokohama Parada Spec X which are all season tires that will grip better in the cold and light snow.
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Haole
2017 SS

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
I'm waiting on my general gmax supposed to have come in tomorrow but I guess the fronts got pushed back to Dec 23. backordered
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
neocacher

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS Vert 6A
In addition to my stock 20" Pirellis, For winter/cold weather driving, I bought a set of the p zero nero all seasons in 245/50/19 on 19" DR37 wheels. Added TMPS and they fit beautifully on my 2012 45th 2ss 6A convertible. Overall diameter is within .03 of an inch of stock 20" which was important to me. Total cost was under $1450 including shipping and road hazard warranty. I live in Black hills of south Dakota (foothills and mountains) and they were tested in moderate conditions yesterday. Interstate driving northwest from rapid city to spearfish, SD, distance 50 miles elevation rising the whole 50 miles. conditions were: 9 pm, Cloudy, fog, ,dark, 27 degrees, wet roads and medium to heavy snow falling , roads were just starting to accumulate snow, by this I mean you could just start to see the tracks of the cars ahead of you. No problem at all on interstate driving 65 mph, but this was a first test in this poor of conditions so I was cautious. When I got to my exit, I pressed on the brakes HARD, but no traction light came on and no sliding though intersection has some wet snow maybe 1/4-1/2 inch. At stop light in town with 1/4 to 1/2 inch accumulation on street and 1 1/2 inches on sidewalks, no sliding. I was very excited with the performance in this situation. With the original p zeros I would have been in the ditch. Competition dealer wanted to sell me snow tires that were almost 1/2 inch taller than stock with 19 inch wheels and $550 more. Didn't want to spend $750 more for Continentals. General tires were backordered, so I bought these. I wanted these tires for this exact situation that I had last night. Driving in sub 40 degree weather, capable very light snow and wet roads if the situation arises. I don't want to go in deep snow on purpose with the camaro. I have over 500 miles on these tires already in 0-40 degree temperatures on wet and somewhat icy roads and so far not even the traction control has come on. I am very well pleased so far (knock on wood). Certain snow tires are famous for wearing out in one season. These will last probably 3-5 seasons if I average 6-8,000 miles on them during the winter and will be just awesome when we have some 50-60 degree days in January, February and March, when higher temps will cause higher wear on snow tires. They have a 45000 tread wear warranty. At this point I couldn't be happier with them though some people don't have much to say for them I guess. Maybe cuz my convertible is heavier than a coupe they work better. For $1450 including everything I couldn't be happier. Got them delivered in 4 business days.

Last edited by neocacher; 12-08-2011 at 07:00 PM.
neocacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
The mother and brother's Mustangs both came with P Zero Neros. They call them an "ultra high performance" all season tire. The tread wear is incredible on them (my brother has almost 100,000 miles on his and they still have a way to go before getting down to the wear bars).

However, while they are technically all season, they are biased toward wet/dry, and are not particularly good on snow. By brother gets by in the winter, but they don't get the same kind of traction as most other all season tires in snow.

Given your location in Oklahoma, I'd say find a good set of normal all seasons. You probably won't need full winter tires in Oklahoma, and probably wouldn't want them during the milder periods between the cold, snowy days. Or, you could get a winter beater to drive on the bad days, and drive the SS on the summer tires on the mild days. I wouldn't think winter in Oklahoma is as bad as my part of the country, where it gets below freezing for 3 months straight.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
neocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
The mother and brother's Mustangs both came with P Zero Neros. They call them an "ultra high performance" all season tire. The tread wear is incredible on them (my brother has almost 100,000 miles on his and they still have a way to go before getting down to the wear bars).

However, while they are technically all season, they are biased toward wet/dry, and are not particularly good on snow. By brother gets by in the winter, but they don't get the same kind of traction as most other all season tires in snow.

Given your location in Oklahoma, I'd say find a good set of normal all seasons. You probably won't need full winter tires in Oklahoma, and probably wouldn't want them during the milder periods between the cold, snowy days. Or, you could get a winter beater to drive on the bad days, and drive the SS on the summer tires on the mild days. I wouldn't think winter in Oklahoma is as bad as my part of the country, where it gets below freezing for 3 months straight.

The mustang is a bit lighter than the camaro. Given that, the traction of these tires may be a bit better in the snow than the mustang. don't know for sure.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #7
neocacher

Took my zero nero all seasons out again today on slushy icy roads for 1 mile before i got to clear interstate. temp was about 34 degrees and sunny. They worked great! Now have over 800 miles on them.