Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
Subzero

Drives: Black 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Corsa ZL1 Exhaust

Hello all! I'm new to the whole camaro scene. I've recently seen a few people hook up the 3" ZL1 corsa exhaust to their hardtop SS. I'm wondering how that fits exactly. Isn't it 2.5" off the catalytic converters? Either way, they managed to get it to fit and I'd like to give it a try on the convertible. However, I fear that with all of the cross-bracing underneath, it would interfere with the exhaust placement. The 2.5" setup has the same part number for both the hardtop and the convertible, so there can't be that much of a difference.

The car in question is a Black 2012 2SS/RS Convertible.

Any advice would help!
Subzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
Doogie

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I am dealing with this very issue right now. Doing some research with several sources. The Corsa exhaust does not fit the ZL1 vert only because of the bracing on the ZL1 only. The SS and LS verts do not have the bracing. The bracing is in place for the increased HP that comes with the ZL1. All that being said, the Corsa exhaust will fit your SS vert.

http://www.corsaperformance.com/prod...px?product=671
Doogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
All verts both SS and ZL1 have more bracing than their coupe counterparts.

When choosing anybodies exhaust, make SURE it's designed to fit a VERT.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
Subzero

I guess my end goal was the dual tip exhaust - I'm not a huge fan of the large single. I was planning on replacing the rear diffuser with the 1LE version to accommodate the larger tips. The 1LE exhaust is right up my alley, but corsa doesn't make one. It would be awesome if one could get the 2.5" pipe kit along with the ZL1 mufflers.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
Subzero

Are the braces the only thing that's stopping people from installing 3" exhaust? If so, would the culprit be the wide middle brace? Here's one that may open up the possibility of 3" choices. http://www.pfyc.com/pc/CA3073/CAEXH/...yBraceKit.html
Old 10-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
wdbymoose
wdbymoose

Drives: 2013 ZL1 convert
Here's the fix to get your 3" corsa on the vert

$10 worth of steel tubing from the local discount steel warehouse (4 1/2" OD x 1/4" wall thickness), 12 gr8 5/16" bolts ($5) and a couple hours of cutting/welding: PRESTO! This is the 14971 Corsa 3" cat back system. No other mods required other than a small trim on the plate under the trans to allow access to the clamps.
Attached Images

wdbymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:16 PM   #7
Subzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdbymoose View Post
$10 worth of steel tubing from the local discount steel warehouse (4 1/2" OD x 1/4" wall thickness), 12 gr8 5/16" bolts ($5) and a couple hours of cutting/welding: PRESTO! This is the 14971 Corsa 3" cat back system. No other mods required other than a small trim on the plate under the trans to allow access to the clamps.
That looks fantastic! How much did you trim the trans plate?

To get it to fit quickly, I actually bought some 3/4" chrome standoffs with longer grade 10 bolts from mcmaster-carr. I dropped the plate and bracing down, allowing the exhaust to fit. I'm sure it's not as stiff, but it works.