Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #43
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Please please don't take this the wrong way, any of you guys that want a convertable with an automatic transmission, but I'm curious as to why you want a ZL1 rather then an SS convertable with an automatic if you want things like a convertable and auto transmission. The ZL1 is supposed to be the all out, ballz to the wall performance camaro, right? And while I understand the desire for an auto, especially since they have come a long way and ARE very good with performance now, why would you want to spend the money for all the extra power if your just gonna be cruising with the top down with an auto transmission? For the top performance camaro, personally I'd like the manual to feel more in tune with the car, and to have all that control over the car, and the weight advantage and stability of a solid roof. Maybe I'm missing something. Again, I don't mean to offend anyone that wants a convertable ZL1 with an auto, I'm just curious
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #44
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something. Again, I don't mean to offend anyone that wants a convertible ZL1 with an auto, I'm just curious
I'm guessing you're familiar with the 427 AC Cobra. It handles relatively well and it was a convertible.

Also, the GT500 is available as a convertible and it is the main competition for the ZL1. Chevrolet will likely lose sales to the GT500 if the ZL1 is not available as a convertible.
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #45
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
The SLP modded convertible I saw the other day was an auto. The owner said the paddle shifters wouldn't let him get out of 1st as quick as he liked, so in the future, he would only be going manual.

Honestly, I wasn't thinking about handling & the rigidity of the frame when I said a hardtop 'vert would be nice, I was just thinking about the cool factor. You do have a point there I suppose, 10forty2.

I wonder how a hardtop convertible arrangement would affect cabin noise levels.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #46
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
I'm guessing you're familiar with the 427 AC Cobra. It handles relatively well and it was a convertible.

Also, the GT500 is available as a convertible and it is the main competition for the ZL1. Chevrolet will likely lose sales to the GT500 if the ZL1 is not available as a convertible.
You do make a very good point, the GT500 is available in a convertible. Yes, I am familiar with that car. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it true they were only able to get away making that car as light weight as it was with the convertible without strengthening the cars structure, because they didn't have the safety requirements they do now? Questions isn't really related, just something I always wondered
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #47
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
I really think this car is being changed as we speak. With the GT500 swinging to 620hp for 2012, the present LSA won't have a chance. If you watch that 3 way race between the GTR-Z06-GT500. The Vette just beat the GT500 by a tiny amount, and thats the GT500 at 550hp, not the 2012 at 620hp. I SO want to buy this car but I will have to wait for the real numbers.

-Bobby
Lots of guys making 550hp. with their NA 2010 SS with a tune and some basic mods, and a lot more than that with an SC bolted on probably close to 750hp.
Could it be the ZL1 is way under tuned? What kind of SC is on it, capacity, how much boost?
Also, noticing the RPM guage on the ZL1 max'd at 7k, on the SS it's 9k. Anyone know anything about that?
Hey, never know, maybe it's GM's way of assuring they don't have to honour warranties. Give people a vehicle that's way undertuned, and all wrong intake / exhaust setups, everyone will do mods to beat Challengers and Mustangs, and then GM will say, we don't honour warranties for mod'd vehicles. Whatcha' think?

Last edited by calbert1999; 04-20-2011 at 02:40 PM.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #48
SVT_SRT

Drives: 2009 Shelby GT500
Anyone else not liking how the mph gauge offset of the numbers change?

SVT_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #49
changprice

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
damn nice i like the new gauges
Old 04-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #50
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Please please don't take this the wrong way, any of you guys that want a convertable with an automatic transmission, but I'm curious as to why you want a ZL1 rather then an SS convertable with an automatic if you want things like a convertable and auto transmission. .............. Maybe I'm missing something. Again, I don't mean to offend anyone that wants a convertable ZL1 with an auto, I'm just curious
Uh......? Well it would be faster, handled better than an SS version...??

If I was wishing for this or that, it would be a sleeper version. An SS with the engine, drive train and supension up grades without the hood and big spoiler. Just the wheels and the front change would be enough of a flag for the trained eye. Under the radar so to speak...
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #51
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
Uh......? Well it would be faster, handled better than an SS version...??

If I was wishing for this or that, it would be a sleeper version. An SS with the engine, drive train and supension up grades without the hood and big spoiler. Just the wheels and the front change would be enough of a flag for the trained eye. Under the radar so to speak...
My point exactly; The hood and front fender is ugly as hell. They could have done a way better job. And, are they kidding with the guages, I'm hittng 7k RPM's going to the corner store for milk and juice. And, for 120 additional HP. is that a joke. I put a muffler, and some headers on mine with a CAM and makng that w/o an SC.
So, not sure why anyone would pay the huge price tag for this car, except of course to have a tag on the back that says ZL1 and keep it stored in the garage for 25yrs., but other than that I don't really get it.
Personally, I'd go to SLP if I wanted something with a label on it to justify paying all that extra cash.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #52
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
My point exactly; The hood and front fender is ugly as hell. They could have done a way better job. And, are they kidding with the guages, I'm hittng 7k RPM's going to the corner store for milk and juice. And, for 120 additional HP. is that a joke. I put a muffler, and some headers on mine with a CAM and makng that w/o an SC.
So, not sure why anyone would pay the huge price tag for this car, except of course to have a tag on the back that says ZL1 and keep it stored in the garage for 25yrs., but other than that I don't really get it.
Personally, I'd go to SLP if I wanted something with a label on it to justify paying all that extra cash.
Maybe because we want a warranty with our 550+HP car for the next 5 years. In 25 years I will bet that the GM ZL1 will be worth more than the SLP ZL1. Too bad I will not be around to collect on my bet or least remember that I made it.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #53
91Z28350

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
Quote:
Ok, you don't get it, then why do you continue to troll this section? You got a nice SS by the info in your sig, let me know what your total investment is after you drop the big brakes, MR suspension, Larger wheels and tires, LSA, upgraded interior and 100k warranty, oh yeah and the ZR1's launch/suspension control.
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #54
Weezerj

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS -- 02 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Z28350 View Post
Ok, you don't get it, then why do you continue to troll this section? You got a nice SS by the info in your sig, let me know what your total investment is after you drop the big brakes, MR suspension, Larger wheels and tires, LSA, upgraded interior and 100k warranty, oh yeah and the ZR1's launch/suspension control.
or go to SLP. It won't be under 50K.

(of course, we are hoping for under 50K MSRP)
Weezerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #55
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezerj View Post
or go to SLP. It won't be under 50K.
(of course, we are hoping for under 50K MSRP)
No way this car is going to be under $50k the Canadian price tag is $85k (to start).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Maybe because we want a warranty with our 550+HP car for the next 5 years. In 25 years I will bet that the GM ZL1 will be worth more than the SLP ZL1. Too bad I will not be around to collect on my bet or least remember that I made it.
Perhaps, but 80% of the time the warranty not worth the paper it's printed on, go read some of the threads on here, people can't even get GM to admit the gearing on the M6 if screwed to the max when grinding during shifts.
As, for value of a vehicle. Well, if some people want to keep their Camaro in the garage cause' it's going to be worth something in 25yrs. well, that's their perogative. I want to enjoy driving the shit out of mine, leaving ZL1's in the dust. Besides, like you in 25yrs. if I can lift my feet off the ground I'll be good. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Z28350 View Post
If my opinion of the ZL1 is not equal to yours I'm a troll? Check yourself!!!!
I doubt very much the parts GM will put on the ZL1 will match the quality of the aftermarket parts installed in my SS or the SLP version of the ZL1.
My point is if I were to dish out $85k (CDN) to start, (which I most likely will when I'm done my SS) I'll smoke the ZL1 easily, unless of course you dump another $25k in mods on the ZL1. And, it will look a whole lot nicer too. ie - ProCharger or Maggie SC vs the one in the ZL1 (what is it again????)
Another point, my SS is already equipped with 550hp., top notch suspension, and I didn't pay anywhere near $85k. And, no SC yet. Now do you get what I'm saying? I'm talking "value" for money. I'm sure when the pro's get their hands on a ZL1 and disect it you'll see many posts on here about how much "more" work the vehicle will need to be up to spec. with some of the 2010 SS's out there "today".

Last edited by calbert1999; 04-22-2011 at 05:50 PM.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #56
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
Quote:
No way this car is going to be under $50k the Canadian price tag is $85k (to start).
ORLY? because i can build a fully loaded CTS-V coupe for cheaper than 85k.

And if you really think your 550hp + suspension could match the ZL1 you might aswell wake up from that sleep of yours. your 550hp SS wont be as reilable as the ZL1 nor will your suspension be on the same par as the MRS of the ZL1. Get real buddy you nor anybody else knows what the ZL1 can do so internet racing aint gona get you any further.